Marathon Des Sables

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Harry_Boomers, Dec 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone done it and how easy is it to get a place?
  2. My mate at the kayak club has done it. I'll speak to him on Sunday and post back..
  3. Its very, very, very hard. (think shedding all the skin on your feet, major dehydration etc etc.)

Its not easy to get on - you will need help, probably from a charity.

I'm reliably informed by my brother that its one of the most difficult, and most rewarding things you'll ever do. (I'll stick to motorised transport, thank you very much...)
  4. Cheers Bossdog
  5. An interesting perspective here:

Hat's off to you if you try it!
  6. Just checked that link out!!!!!!!

Harry, if you are thinking of taking that on. Well, my hat is truly doffed.

You mad, mad fucker! :D
  7. Did you post this drunk? Your mad, but good luck, looks like fun and something I would probaly want to do one day.

All the best.
  8. A great friend of mine, a mad dutch woman did it in her forties. Her training was done mainly in West Africa. In fact she did one marathon session around the Freetown peninsular with both |Malaria and Typhoid!!!!

She did it with a young TA Captain ( female) of about 26. If they can I am sure you can.
  9. Being a fan of the marathon des sables I was going to post this link but you beat me to it Bossdog. Love this quote from it:

A couple of friends did it in 2005, I few out to Morocco meet them at the finish line. Here's a rather good diary of the event from one competitor Charlie Norton

As taken from the article, it seems the British have an affinity for understating hardship:
  10. Read the account by Dr Mike Stroud an MoD doctor and complete loon who did it a few years ago. His book is called Survival of the Fittest. And is an excellent book about human fitness and endurance.....
  11. I am seriously thinking of doing it .. I need a new challenge in life!
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

There's a Gunner doing it next year to raise funds for Headley Court (unless that is Hammersley ?) - I'll see if I can dig out a link.

And a team from RAF Valley are in training NOW for 2009.

Harry, if you're serious about this you might want to Google a guy called Chris Moon.

Ex RMP who became a de-miner and got into a barney with a Soviet AT mine in Mozambique.

I went past him in the 2000 London Marathon. He was running on an artificial leg. The girl I was with ( well, hanging on to actually) said

' look at him. Think about how much pain HE's in - and stop whinging'

Fair comment really.

He went on to run the Marathon des Sables ( and by way of light exercise a gentle jog in the States called the Death Valley Ultra).

Good luck in your ambition. My hat is well and truly doffed to anyone who makes it round.

Don Cabra
  13. A very hard race.

Do consider Morocco's illegal military occupation of Western Sahara before signing up. You might not wish to passively support it by entering the event.
  14. Did it in 2001, doing it again in 2009. is the website for the UK, Ireland & Israel representative.

Entries for the 2009 event were sold out in 20 minutes! Keep an eye on the website for when entries for 2010 open.