Marathon Des Sables

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by RTFQ, Feb 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

If cancer was a terrorist group, we would have invaded numerous random countries and killed off dozens of beardy government scientists in an effort to stop it. By now, we'd have scores of ethnic-looking wallahs doing 1920's PT in orange jumpsuits behind the wire at Penhale camp and we'd all be listening to indifferently informed americans talk gravely about The War On Cancer (TWOC).

As it is, we are limited to sitting and waiting our turn whilst hoping someone comes up with a cure. I know this forum is normally reserved for charities with direct military links like the invaluable CombatStress and ABF, but I'd like to endorse a mate's attempt to run the Marathon des Sables in aid of Macmillan, because the big C takes everyone form Glider Pilots who chucked a horsa onto (near enough) Peggy Bridge with pedal power and a grimace, to brown-eyed little girls who are out-lived by their first pets. It's not on.

Here's the justgiving link if you're interested: MdeS

If the whole TWOC thing is too heavy for a monday morning, satisfy yourself that you'll be performing miracles on a personal level too. The lass that's running used to be a bit of a porker, so she's done well to put the pies down and get fit enough to run 6 marathons in 7 days. You go girl.

2. Good on her, always fancied a bash at that race, how did she go about getting in it?

3. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

If memory serves, you need to front up £2-3k and apply a good year or more in advance. They've got an interweb thing.

4. Cheers mate.

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

That's right. 2008 entries are already closed:
    http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/register.html

6. Puts me off having to pay nearly £3000 to suffer! Anyone know why it costs so much?

7. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

Because holding it requires a monumental logistic and administrative effort and such a high price tag means only serious wellards apply, I suppose. If it cost £50, any old mental who's just done a Comic relief 1-miler could give it a go. And likely wind up unwell.

And chr1st, 2 weeks in orlando probably costs just as much, it's not that expensive for a major life achievement. I myself prefer spending £3k on spectating the annual peppermint hippo poledance-a-thon, but each to their own.

8. Fair one, seriously want to have a crack as I'm bored just doing marathons, no challenge in them anymore and I'm not getting any younger, suppose with the fact that 2009 is the next opportunity I could start saving for it!

9. jack, try the jungle marathon. My mate did it as he found the MDS too difficult and expensive. He said it was really tough, but then he did win!

http://www.junglemarathon.com/

10. Christ! How mad does that race look! Fair one to your mate winning the MDS.

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Here's one for this year:
    http://www.everestmarathon.org.uk/