Marathon des Sables - "toughest footrace on earth"

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by troopie, Mar 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all.

Entries for the Marathon des Sables 2009, dubbed the toughest footrace on earth, open today (Mon 05 Mar 07) at 1000GMT. The UK has a limited number of places and they are likely to sell fast.

More information is available at www.saharamarathon.co.uk and www.darbaroud.com

I competed in the event in 2001, raising money for the ABF, and I wanted to do something to challenge myself again.

Three or more people can enter as a team, or you can run as an individual. Entries aren't cheap, at £2700, but it's definitely an experience of a lifetime.

Those websites should answer most of your questions, otherwise feel free to PM me or ask on here.

Troopie

2. Wow. All 235 places and 100-odd places on the waiting list sold out within 10 minutes. Guess there's going to be a lot of unhappy people who didn't get in.

3. I know a guy who did it in 1998 or 1999 (I can't remember that well-must be old age). He enjoyed it. Masochist.