Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BBear, May 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Afternoon gents!

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but thought i'd try here.

I'm helping out a friend who's trying to organise a wee wander through the Yorkshire 3 peaks in June for charity (bless her wee cotton socks). A few of us from the OTC are going along too for a giggle, as well as to get some extra hill days in.

However, our unit doesn't hold maps of Yorkshire, or at least certainly won't issue them out to us for this stroll. As we're trying to keep overheads down, I'm reluctant to go out and buy as many maps as we need.

If anyone has any buckshee maps that I could get my grubby mits in I would be very grateful, i would certainly pay all postage etc naturally. The one we're particularily after would be, i believe, Ordnance Survey 1:25000 series Explorer Map OL2 Yorkshire Dales - Southern & Western Area.

If anyone can help, then like I say I would be very grateful indeed. I'm sure I could also get pxr sent to you after the event too, if that is your wish.

Thank you for your time gentlemen.
  2. They're only £7.50.

Why not go to your local stationers and ask them to donate a couple if you really can't afford them?
  3. Go to multimap and print off as many as you need (pres print screen, copy into word and print that, otherwise it won't work). They do OS type maps as well as street and arial views.
  4. Check out the OS website

maps can be ordered direct, you can even print some (admittedly only in small sections) direct from the website.... right down to 1:50,000 and 1:25,000.
  5. BZ's suggestion used to work, but Multimap don't do the OS mapping any more.

PJ's suggestion is probably the best - you can print out the route in 4km squares. Quite handy, really as you can laminate the print-outs and make a book of them - better than fumbling with a full-size map. I doubt that you'll need to do any serious navigating.
  6. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Ah, thanks for the gen guys. Will try.

The idea was to try and save on the overheads, we might have about 40 people going and we were aiming on having a map between each pair, so the costs were creeping up...

Thank you anyway for your quick and useful responses. Am hitting up my old schools DofE department to see if they have any kicking about too.
  7. Ah, I see. I thought you were just after the one map. See if one of the online suppliers would sponsor you.
  8. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

We thought about buying one, and getting it photocopied, but I reckon if there's one bit of kit you really need to be good it's a map.

I'm going to hit Cotswolds, Blacks, Millets etc and see if they could either sponsor us, or give us a bulk buy discount. I'm also emailing OS to see if they can help us out too.

I thought I'd try here in the hope that some RQ or AQMS had a whole stack of them lying around getting dusty really...!

Thanks again
  9. your unit cant/wont demand them for you? try ringing the Engrs ,42?, you know, the people that print them for the army at stupid costs, less than a penny each IIRC
  10. Putteesin my hands - yes they do. Just been on it.
    Edited because 'reply' didn't work.
  11. :oops: You're right. I've just found the button that gives this option.

Revise my earlier post to read:

Use Multimap because you can print a bigger area of map. :)
    (Though I'm not sure if it prints at 1:25,000/1:50,000 as on the OS website).

PS Try "Quote" instead of "Reply"
  12. You want to get yourself a program called Memory Map by OS.

It's basically a PC copy of their maps. Pricy though. I have it, if you send me your route I can print out copies for you.
  13. Is that memory Map any good? How much are the maps etc? churzzzz
  14. £100 per area. Gulp!
  15. Visit a Building in your town called the "Library", My local one has OS maps that you can borrow. Most are Laminated to weather proof them too.