MAPRIC

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by A_Knocker_Till_The_End, Sep 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anyone done the cse & is it worthwhile :?: :?: :?: :?:

moving to a new unit & they require more instructors with "MAT" qualifications, i have a few already.

cheers in advance.

2. done none but wouldnt mind a heads up on a few, as i'm at a similiar unit that has "the need"

3. I did MAPRIC in 2000, good course. The first couple of days are extreme with all of the maths and general head cramming :slow: but later on in the week and on week two when you get out on the ground it's a lot better. The course sylabus might well have changed since I did it but it's definately worth doing unless you don't enjoy getting spanked for teaching every 10 mins.

Cheers

4. Great course, you need to be up to a decent standard, but they really bring you on & as a bonus you get to meet Boris

5. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Boris is never still there, dont forget plenty of cash for the pub lunches :D

6. I too did the course like others have posted its tough the first few days and I hated being dropped in the middle of a 1:50,000 and being asked so where are you? having just removed your blind fold! But get over that and its a really good course to bring on your skills. You will have to do teaching practices and organise a MAP Reading ex or two.
    Learnt about ICE and Prismatics, resection intersection, navigation by stars and watch all the fun stuff etc.

I took my laptop and small printer they proved to be a ready bonus to the whole group.

As posted Boris is mad as a fish but always did his de briefs in the local's (convinced he was on a back hander) nice bloke though and knows his stuff

Mentally challenging but a good course to have under your belt (even learnt how to fold a 1:50,000 correctly even down to breaking its spine on the endge of a desk - now where could you learn that)

Only frustrating bit I found was all the stuff I could indent for knowing I full well I would probably be told to feck off when I tried to do so back at my unit.

Cheers

7. Two weeks, three pub lunches and two days in uniform.

Topp.

8. My course had a test on the first day to see your understanding in map reading, and one bloke got the push because he did not know intersection. We were informed that you had to already know your map reading to a high level. They were just ther to clean up the edges.

9. So Boris is still there. the man is a star, like the Duracell Bunny.

10. Did the MAPRIC course 4 weeks ago and it is definately a top course to do. Make sure that your basic map reading is upto standard, because on day 1 there is a theory test and we had 4 binned! Embarrassing to back to your unit on Day 1. They do send you a revision paper at least 4 weeks before the course which is well worthwhile.

Boris is a top bloke with a top sense of humour and does know a few good pubs along the way!

11. 11D

11D Old-Salt

How do you get loaded on this course??

12. You get loaded at the pub lunches!

hat, coat..............

13. I know it's an old thread, but seeing as it's Easter where things come back from the dead....
    Is Boris still there?

14. Good to know. I was there in '97, I thought he's be gone by now. Still, you cant replace quality.
    I take it he still wears bow ties! :D

15. Boris - what a guy :) .
    I did the Cse in '93 and enjoyed it so much I went back to do the Unit nav Instr Cse. Aside from additional MOI and GPS Instr qual it was just more time at the Pub for those excellent lunches.
    Top course & Boris top bloke!!