Mapping for Croatia

Discussion in 'Travel' started by RE-DSO, Mar 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have or know where I can get some maps either paper or digital for Croatia. I'm off to spectate at the Croatia Trophy in April. It's a big 4x4 offroad event. I know that I won't be spectating everyday and I'm looking to go exploring. I know basic navigation from when I was there in 91 and again in I'm just after a bit more detailed mapping

I didn't even think to ask for world mapping before I left in Jan.
  2. I found that maps offered for the region are deliberately poor, this extends to the on-line mapping. I think it's government policy. No aid to the enemy. The Yugoslav military maps we found in Bosnia were quite good.
  3. You could try:

Stanfords in Long Acre, London.
    Map Shop, Upton-on-Severn, Worcs.
  4. I have Mem Map 5 and it has a decent coverage but was hoping someone would have a more detailed digital map of the area. Wil look at the 2 shops mentioned. Cheers
  5. Depending on what GPS system you are using you can make your own geo-referenced maps from Google Earth downloads ? Fiddly but I'm told it works for Garmin. Memory Map is good software and retail a fairly good selection of digital mapping - but DONT buy their GPS, the Adventurer 3500 in particular is a heap of junk - see my Review in the kit section.
  6. Well just returned from my 2 week jaunt. In the end I used a mixture of Google Earth and Mem Map. I used Franson GPS gate to work both systems at the same time.

Croatia is still as lovely as I remembered and we did a nice big loop for our exploration. The main thing that surprised me was th amount of minefield sgns tht were still being displayed and thet they were fairly new. So someone is monitoring the signs and replacing as necessary. Only wandered into a dangerous area once where the locals were adament we stayed off the verges on the forest tracks. But all ended well so I'm happy
  7. Making sure Minefield/Suspected Mined area marking and warning signs are visible and kept updated has been a priority throughout the Balkans since 3 small children were killed by a PROM-1 several years ago in the hills surrounding Sarajevo, they were killed in a previously marked suspected area that the Mine Signs had either been taken or overgrown by the surrounding vegetation. Several key members from the Mine Action Centre went through a very long winded court case being accused of causing the deaths by negligence in their work i.e. not making sure Mined/Suspected Areas were inspected regularly to make sure the marking was clearly visible.

May I ask what areas of Croatia you were in where you saw the Mine Signs?
  8. you can pick up some very good maps from the local petrol stations over there for free. I think INA (Their version of BP) do them. I've tried to get a Garmin map, but to no avail. It can vary with the mine situation around there, I have no idea about the Dalmation coast, but if you head East, once you are about an hour away from Zagreb, you'll start to hit the old Orthodox areas, they're sometimes easy to spot. They generally have very new brick houses by the road, with war hit ones behind and a big sign stating that the Croatians welcome the Orthodox back to their villages. A lot of these places aren't sign posted for mines as it's common local knowledge.
    Many of them are still mined as after the villagers left, there were mined and never removed under EU guidlines becuase no one offered to move back.

I would have thought if you're heading for an area with a competion and international element to it the Croats will have sorted the local area in that part out, they are quite good at creating tourism without disaster!
  9. I did try that, but I couldn't get it to work! I've got a Garmin.
  10. I have seen mine signs in the area of Osijek (around the national park) and Novi Varos (and surrounding area such as Okucani etc)
  11. Gundolph

I have a mem map route of our travels and marked all the minefields that we saw or passed through. I'm a bit geeky like that. Go on holiday and document minefields. I'm away for the weekend but will post the details next week and of the 2 styles of mine signs I encountered.