Maplins Batteries

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Vaughany, Dec 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I bought a Surefire G2 the other day and am wondering whether the Maplins CR123A Batteries are any good to use.
    I don't really want to buy a bulk package of Surefire batts every three weeks.
  2. the non re-chargeable batteries should be fine, but the surefire batteries are much cheaper (5.49 per battery from maplin/2.25 for surefire (in a pack of 12) or 1.98 in two packs)
    or order a pack of 12 nextorch cr123's at 1.25 per battery found HERE (no link to the company, just a happy customer ect)

problem with the rechargeables is that you need a charger. 2 batteries with chargers (I can only find single chargers) will set you back about 40 quid.

this is why I use torches that take AA/AAA batteries. they are much cheaper (and easier to get hold of in bulk)
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Have a look at Fenix. I've dealt with them often and always found them dependable.
  4. Right. Stop there. Rechargeable batteries especially AAA or AA are 1.2 volts and not 1.5 volts. It's a common mistake people make. It might not sound a great deal, but 4 batteries will give a 1.2 volt drop. If you need batteries where the current demand is great, use lithium batteries like energizer, quite cheap on eBay, especially on multiple packs and last a lot longer than owt Duracell make.
  5. Really? I suppose that's why they never work in my camera.
  6. true for AA and AAA, but I'm not so sure about re-chargeable cr123's. as they are used allot in cameras and similar, which can be quite picky about their input voltage. makes little difference in a torch anyway.

also all CR123s are lithium (even Duracell branded ones) and in a fenix torch the only real advantage is if you are keeping the torch unused for a long period of time, as unlike alkali batteries, they are not prone to leaking. as the op is talking about getting batteries regularly, I assume this is not a problem
  7. Whenever youre near Lidl or Aldi, have a gander for battery chargers, they often have decent ones in there. I paid £15 for one (if i remember right) and had it for years.
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

You can demand duracell CR123 through the system as camera batteries. :) Not that I'm suggesting anyone would demand in bulk for use in Surefire torches............ :twisted:
  9. of course not...
    Although if say...8 boxes of 8 batteries were demanded instead of 8 easy mistake to make 8)

Not that I condone that sort of thing you know :wink: