Maplins are back....

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
images.jpeg

I liked Maplins shops. It was always interesting to go and have a mooch round even if you didn't buy anything.

They were also useful for components e.g. rectifiers, which could be bought individually from Maplins but could only be obtained in packs or 50 or 100 from RS or ebay.

endure

GCM
When our local Maplins had their closing down sale they reduced the price of a 2 metre kettle lead from £15 to £10 :roll:

I liked Maplins shops. It was always interesting to go and have a mooch round even if you didn't buy anything.

They were also useful for components e.g. rectifiers, which could be bought individually from Maplins but could only be obtained in packs or 50 or 100 from RS or ebay.
Far too expendive

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I see their prices aren't any more competitive than when they were on the high street.

still, at least this way if I do go for a look on their website I won't have three or four spotty herberts descending on me in rapid succession asking if I need anything.

I see their prices aren't any more competitive than when they were on the high street.

still, at least this way if I do go for a look on their website I won't have three or four spotty herberts descending on me in rapid succession asking if I need anything.
Always an irritating experience, far too American.

Unfortunately they don't seem to do components or those useful little bits to fix stuff.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Always an irritating experience, far too American.
I've fcuking hated that since it started to be imported over here in the eighties. do the managers of these places not realise it actively puts people off shopping in their stores? by all means acknowledge my presence with a nod or a smile, but if I want anything, I'll ask you, I promise.

I see their MD is also the MD of Hoy Tax Consulting Ltd.
Their returns will be interesting!

I loved Maplins, and remember buying a cracking Knight Rider lighting strip for my Clio, so I can be just like Michael Knight when I'm on the dual carriageway.

Yokel

LE
I've fcuking hated that since it started to be imported over here in the eighties. do the managers of these places not realise it actively puts people off shopping in their stores? by all means acknowledge my presence with a nod or a smile, but if I want anything, I'll ask you, I promise.
It did make shopping a slightly there an odd experience. I once had to go to a Maplin store for a job interview, and turned up early to spend some time looking at the products, only to be asked "can I help you?"

Moving into the High Street killed them, so it is good to see them trading. They did good business by mail and telephone order, so the internet should have been their natural place.

Apart from the retail costs, moving into the High Street meant they had to dumb down in order to attract the punters, and compete with other electronic goods retailers, which displaced the components/tools/test gear.

If Maplins are relying on their old name there are other UK sites and deals out there. Bigger ranges including components, workshop and maintenance stuff. Having said that - Maplins sell through Amazon and eBay.

Or standing outside begging.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blogg The Intelligence Cell 452
Vaughany Weapons, Equipment & Rations 9

Latest Threads