MAP Tests

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by TackHammer, Sep 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got my briefing coming up in a little while (12/10) and been looking for useful resources to practice for the MAP tests.

I believe the test consists of Numeracy (fine)/Literacy (yup no probs) and some form of Ravens Progressive Matrices (christfuck!) and have been trying to find out more about them - i.e. What the hell is the method to solving some of them? Case in point I tried these tests at http://iqtest.dk/main.swf and expected some sort of feedback but alas nothing (apart from pissing me off with a resultant IQ of 108!)

Is there a tried and true approach for solving these? Are there any other decent resources out there for these in particular as I did fine on the MAP handout booklet but these, uhm, well not so much!

2. In regards to the Numerical reasoning tests the questions all come from a chart of some sort. As you said quite easy if you have good maths skills.
    The verbal reasoning tests are easy enough, just read the statement and when answering the questions only use information from the statement. Even if you know the answer from your own knowledge dont use it unless it is written in the statement.
    The abstract reasoning tests are all about seeing a pattern in the different groups. i.e colour, shapes, number of shapes etc...

Go down to your local library and they should have books on the tests you will be doing.

-OCS-

3. Are all the Numerical questions Graph/Tabular based then? I presumed some would be in the form of artithmetic, shape, ratio's, fractions etc.

4. From my MAP test 3 weeks ago the majority were based around graphs and bar charts etc. There were a few that were arithmetic, shape etc.

Aslong as your confident with your sums (adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, ratio's etc) you will be fine.

-OCS-

5. May be a rather silly question, but I presume no paper is allowed for rough workings?

6. You may be surprised to hear that you can use rough paper. You get some time to practice for the MAP tests and are given a few practice questions, you use the answer sheet as your rough paper.

-OCS-

7. The aptitude tests are rather easy, yet are very important as they are the only thing you do at your briefing that will carry over to main board. Remember to stay calm, focused and to pace yourself appropriately. If you find you are in the last minute with several question left start guessing you are not marked down for incorrect answers.

As for practice MAP test there are plenty online, and a practice booklet would have been sent to you from Westbury in the post.

8. Can anyone recommend some online psychometric testing sites which will be useful for the MAP tests, aside from the Kent University one?

Thanks

9. I used these ones

http://www.assessmentday.co.uk/

They were pretty similar to the ones you do on the day, also UKAT I had already sat so was used to the format. I'm sure you can find some practice UKAT questions on line.

10. Thankyou very much.

11. Just out of interest did you just use the free ones on this site or sign up for the advertised £4.99?

12. Just the free ones, if you search for more specific aptitude test you'll find plenty of decent free ones. Don't search "free aptitude tests" search more along the lines of "free numerical reasoning aptitude test".

13. At my briefing very few of us finished the Math section including someone who had just got his Math degree at Cambridge or Oxford (one of those two) So don't panic if you don't finish!

14. Do you get s/d/t questions at briefing? I'm bricking it off those.

15. There were a couple but they were rather straight forward. If I recall there was one about sprinters, where you were given there completion of a 100m race then asked what speed certain ones were travelling.

You giving a pencil and paper, so if you struggle to remember Speed=Distance*Time as soon as you get in jot it down. Or jot down the speed distance time triangle

http://gcsemaths.org.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/speed_distance_time_triangle.png

I think a good thing to remember is if you work out an answer and its not listed amongst the options, look for ones in similar magnitudes.

EDIT - can't recall if there were any unit conversions needed in the MAP, but there were in PLANEX so make sure you can convert between hours, minutes, metres, kilometres, miles per hour to miles per minute.