Map Reading

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by the_beer_man, Oct 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After a MATTS map reading test last night I have decided that I really need to improve my map reading. A few of the guys at my unit have offered to help me but I also want to do something myself. Can anyone recommend any books or DVD's that may help me. Money is a bit tight at the moment so silly priced books are out of the question (£25 is about all I can spare) but all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nothing will help expect a good grasp of the basics (which are bloody easy), and some practice out on the ground. Get yourself onto the nearest training area/moore/mountain etc with a good compass, and a map. You'll soon get used to it. Get you mates to pick a place, drop you off there, and use the local features to pinpoint where you are (using a blade of grass obviously!)
  3. Try getting up into the hills over the forthcoming winter. There really is nothing like a cold, wet day on the side of a mountain with dark closing in and the pub a long way away to make sure you get your nav right.
  4. as he said, you cant beat getting onto the ground and trying it our, dont follow paths, go into the ulu and force yourself to use your compass and skills
  5. To learn the standard ordnance symbols, magnetic variation and most other things all you really need is a map, it's all on there. With a map of your area, find a hill with a good all round view and then use the same map and a compass to practice taking bearings and working out back bearings to prominent points.

You really don't need to spend a fortune. If you don't practice though, you will get rusty.
  6. Join your local orienteering club.
  7. And try and remember the Compass is right not you and the "I think this is the way", is not the most convincing argument with the troops when it is pissing down and cold!
  8. There is some useful stuff in the bowels of the Ordnance Survey website. Take a look at the Introduction to Maps and Map Reading/Advanced Map Reading Made Easy PDFs.
  9. Can't reccomend these enogh a good guide that I use with my guys

There is also a Mil Mapreading Book available through the system
  10. Unfortunatly I can't put the Infantry map reading booklet on here as its 11975KB.

Speak nicely to someone get on DII and download it, of get hold of the Training CD pack, its on there if memory serves me.
  11. Where is it on DII???

Unfortunatly I can't put the Infantry map reading booklet on here as its 11975KB
    PM MSR he updates the eNirex There may be a way to upload it on here
  12. Get a decent book and learn the basics, then practice. Don't get too hung up on intricacies such as magnetic variation just yet; that can come later. Make sure that you're using the right units, as well. If you're training for a military context then you need to be using mils, and that will limit the number of books you can use easily (because converting at 17.8 mil=1 degree wears your brain out). If you can get a mate to help then do; that will be safer and you'll learn quicker.
  13. Not really. You're not copying the examples only learning how to do it and the methods are the same for both systems.
  14. Still, best to keep it simple. Especially if you're of the occiferish persuasion :wink:

If you're doing the MATT at unit level you should have a Map Reading Instructor (now there's a course) who will have access to the Manual of Military Map Reading (don't have the pub no to hand).

All the theory in the world though is no substitute for practical experience. If you're going to miss last orders if you make a mistake it sharpens the mind wonderfully.