Map Reading Instructors course

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ancient, Jul 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone done this course recently ? I'm hoping to have a succesfull bid for the end of September or mid October . Noone in my unit has done it , and I haven't got a clue what to expect . Any advance information apreciated . Many thanks .

2. I met someone who has done this course. He highly reccomended it, learnt a very great deal that was and is still useful, and said although it was hard work, it was a lot of fun. (Navigating from one country pub to the other being a theme of one of the excercises!)

He reccomended I do it (they run one for ACF staff) but i don't think I could drink and map read at the same time without losing the plot completely.

3. I did this last year. It was a two weekend course. You do need to know how to map read first.

4. The Instructors course was two weeks long and used to be run at Thatcham, although I may be a little of of date. A two weekend course sounds like the Basic Map Reading course or the Advanced Map Reading/MATTs Authorisation Course run at the RTCs. MATTs authorised personnel can only work under the supervision (albeit light) of a qualified Instructor.

5. Fcuk me, you'll want to do the trampoling or underwater basket weaving next....

6. If it is the MAPRIC Course, brush up on your skills before going. They did have an int test, and fails were RTU'd.
    When I did mine it was Regs and TA, ask them questions and if they are not bone (the questions) they will mostly help you out, remember they do it for a living, esp the infantry, all good guys on my course.

PS We didn't navigate from PH to PH; we just had lunch at them.

7. I did the course in May this year and would endorse Chef's comments - make sure you use the material to prepare before you go as a number of attendees on my course didn't and struggled subsequently to get up-to-speed and were at a disadvantage thereafter. Boris, the Chief Instructor on the course, is an excellent teacher but does not suffer fools gladly and you need to pay attention in his lessons as, in the course of his (apparent) various digressions off the subject, he makes a number of relevant points which could easily be missed. Whilst the classroom work is a leveller of sorts - though it helps if you have a good grasp of doing calculations and plotting - the field work is not and favours those who have the opportunity through their role / personal interest to get out on the ground using maps on a regular basis. It's an exellent course but certainyl one that is better to do in the summer than the winter given that at least half of it is out on the ground!

8. Blimey, Boris still kicking around!

Gluck, did you get lessons etc via disk?

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I did it years ago - a TOP course, highly recommended, but:
    • Do the RTC 2 weekend one first
    • Get your practical navigational skills up - try some Orienteering
    • Ask the RTC (or your PSI/Trg Wing) for a copy of the Lesson Plans - they should be available, and will be very handy.
    • Practise with a 'real' compass - a Prismatic one - and make stand you understand such things as ICE and what a lubber line is!

10. Yes, do you want a copy?

11. Which Bde you doing the course with... have tried to get on the last couple and they all got binned .... 15 Bde do a pre MAPRIC course (which I also tried to get on but that was binned also)

12. Gluck

PM on its way, thanks mate.

13. Is that at MATT standard? Or is the intially test supposed to be more advanced?

14. Maybe just a personal thing, I found orienteering very different from "normal" map reading. I would consider hillwalking while navigating by map/compass more useful if only one was done. Combining them would be better still.

15. It wasn't the MATT but based more on the contents of the Military Map-Reading booklet they provide you with as part of the pre-course learning. It provides you with a sample self-assesment test which will give you an indication of you level of knowledge and what you need to revise on particularly. One of the course debrief points was that the entry test could be the MATT itself but, given the course objectives, that might be too simplistic for some and too difficult for others.