Map making/plotting software

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by amazing__lobster, Jul 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if anybody can help me out on this one?

Basically, I recently helped to organizing a conference, and in a follow up letter to sponsors, I want to include a map showing which UK universities had delegates representing them.

Does anybody know of any software which is able to do this? I've seen software such as this - Aardvark Map - Free custom Google Maps in minutes - but it doesn't allow labels. Although it's probably what I'll end up using if this is all that's available.

2. Copy a google map into word and put text boxes on the map with arrows to the areas?
  3. Microsoft map point works for me
  4. Thanks Waitout - I was going to run with that idea (except using PowerPoint), but I think I'll check out Geordie's suggestion. Microsoft map point also offer a 60 day free trial.

Cheers guys!
  5. Have you heard of the openstreet map project ?

6. Thanks Polar - that looks good as well (and I hadn't heard of it). I'll have a play with it tonight as well as Microsoft Map Point.

7. Theres also memory map which can be obtained via *cough bit torrent*
  8. I've used both Mappoint and Mapmaker. If it's a one-off, I'd go for Mappoint (you can import Excel, Access, or CSV lat & long data and automatically plot it with data labels as required). If your going to be doing a lot of maps then Mapmakers' far better, but takes a while to learn well.