Many veterans with PTSD struggle to find supportive employment

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Oct 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. A sad and sorry situation, but in a highly litigious society with such easy access to firearms, you can't blame employers in America for protecting their own interests. It's not really that uncommon nowadays for the media to report on schools, fast food restaurants and businesses over there to be attacked by former employees/students/any other with a grudge against society or a mental health issue. It's a shame, and there'll be more like him to come in the next few years, but I can't see how they will address this issue in a risk averse society.

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Even in this country, there is a great deal of ignorance about PTSD, people think that if they upset you ,you might go postal on them and pop around and kill them in their sleep,and I'm only going by my own experiance over he last thirty years

4. The employer also has a duty of care for the well-being of their current employees. With the lamentable state of knowledge about PTSD, it's not hard to imagine even a sympathetic interview panel concluding that they can't reasonably place the rest of their team under stress by asking them to accommodate the new nutter.

5. Reading the story its seems some employers dont want someone who needs time off for therapy and this bit

But employers may not know what to expect from a person with PTSD or a brain injury. The symptoms can include severe headaches, memory lapses, poor concentration, slurred speech, loss of balance, a short temper and anxiety in a crowd.

Lets be honest (PTSD aside) who would hire someone who wanted time off work for personal health reasons and/or have symptoms that hardly make a good employee?

6. There is indeed a great deal of ignorance about PTSD in this country (UK) and even among so called professionals. Anyone who's "different" with often invisible symptons, and has special needs, becomes a Cinderella case, usually treated and received in many different ways to "normal" folks. Add to that; stigma, suspicion, fear, ignorance, prejudice and ridicule. It's not surprising when sufferers don't let on about their PTSD or any mental health issues, especially at work where they should actually be supported, legislation not withstanding. I've had it, awarded 40% war pension for it, trying not to let "the thing" get in the way too much, and I work, but it is always there in several different ways. It can be a miserable life, but it doesn't have to be.

7. If somebody came to an interview and said "I need regular time off for doctors appointments and I'm likely to go on the sick because I have mental problems", I wouldn't give them a job. Not because I don't understand PTSD, but because it wouldn't be good for my business or fair to the rest of my staff.

That said, if a person has PTSD that doesn't affect their working day, I'd recommend keeping quiet about it.

8. The downside of keeping a pre existing condition from an employer, is that if in the future you need time off because of that condition, then you could be open to dismissal for lying on your application.

9. As opposed to not getting the job in the first place, I think the former option is a better idea.

10. I have to agree with you, being economical with the truth to get a position is the only practical option. Just don't get caught out.

11. The sooner health professionals start to understand PTSD the better,there will be an influx of cases in the next 5 years coming to the fore.Maybe we need more military psychiatrists working with their civilian counterparts so they can pass on experience of PTSD cases from the military point of view. What are the government doing with regards to planning for the future of the PTSD time bomb ticking away?We need to start planning now so that we can go forward and help PTSD cases.At present Thywitt House Combat stress have a massive backlog of cases,this will only get worse in time.We need more places like Thywitt house built, at present the 3 Combat Stress homes is not enough. Most of the civilian population has no time for X service personnel,X service personnel with PTSD,no chance.Maybe the services PR machine could do more to make people aware of what PTSD is,signs,symptoms,etc??Its that old cheshnut people with mental health (PTSD) issues are seen as nutters,if they had a broken bone which would be a visible illness then the understanding would be there.Have you been to any of the Combat Stress homes?

12. Sadly, considering the condition has been recognised for some eighty years+, it amazes me that we still know relatively little. They used to teach the basics when i was in, so as to inform commanders of the early symptoms/onset of combat stress in the field. But what about when a bod leaves the forces and is just living their life in civvy street, then one day, bang it all tits up? I wouldn't know what to look for in myself, never mind others. The symptoms are so wide and varied as to make it almost impossible to recognise, unless they are prepared to admit to possibly having it? But yet again, we as soldiers are the least likely to admit to what we see as a possible weakness, either physical or mental due to our conditioning and sense of self reliance. For all i know i could be suffering from it and wouldn't know...For example i used to be a pretty placid bloke, until riled, now however i fly off the handle over the mearest thing. Do i have PTSD or am i just a chippie twat because of my age?? Also we live in an enclosed environment during our military careers, where the support networks are all in place, ie our muckers! No matter how bad things got we knew We could rely on each other and we all knew and appreciated the situations we were in. The best form of remedy i found to a stressful/traumatic event was our sense of humour, which could be dark as ****. Through this outlet everyone could release tension, without admitting to feeling vulnerable or lost. Once in civ Div that support is gone, so other instincts kick in, and not always in the right way. I can only speak for myself, but i found i became pretty introverted, unless pushed and wanted nothing to do with the past, which was and still is a pretty lonely place to be really. So again i ask...Do i have a form of PTSD? And again my honest answer is i don't know, but like everyone else, i just try and crack on...It's what we do best i think? Perhaps others feel differently or can shed some light on the subject. Whatever the case, due to the current financial restraints the facilities for coping with the next crop of cases just isn't there. Which will result in further misery for many ex service personnell.

13. Under the Equality Act which came into force in UK on 1st Oct 2010, it is now illegal to refuse someone a job on health grounds. Only exception is on job specific criteria eg colour blind electricians but this has to be after the job has been offered

14. Does that include wanting time off work for the illness? And does that include having symptoms that are incompatible with the job?

15. Yes I have been to Tyrwhitt House, but that doesnt work for everyone,
    though its a great facility .

it would be good to see our society apply the same understanding to PTSD,
    as for physical, visible differences. The DDA and Equality provisions must be more
    rigorously enforced. Stigma and prejudice are supposed to be unacceptable.