Manuscript for Review

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Auld-Yin, Feb 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

FAO the Arrse Book Reviewers.

I have been asked to find a Reviewer for a manuscript of a novel which is finished and the author is looking to put to publishing houses, synopsis below. The author – Mike Tunstill – has asked that Arrse Review it. Mike says “I'm not Army, or anything related, but the plot does revolve around a character who is, and I would value any insight from behind the khaki veil as to whether the characterisation works, or is just a lot of cock.”

This is slightly different from what we are normally asked to do and will require a degree of constructive criticism regarding the characters and their believability.

If any of the Reviewers would like to take this on could they PM me and I will make the arrangements. If there are any people not currently on the Reviewers list but would also like to be considered, PM me saying why you feel best placed to do this.

“Made in England/Tunstill – (manuscript approx 234 pages.)
    300-500 word outline
    Sergeant Bob Foxton, 1st Battalion Her Majesty’s Overstretch Regiment (motorised) is blown up in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban. With a serious head injury, he comes home in a coma from which he awakens with heightened senses, a lot of questions and a new-found desire to call the world to order.

Finding unexpected solace in the comic-strip character of Captain Hurricane, the ‘Mighty Marine’, whose exploits inspired him as a boy, Foxton struggles to come to terms with a world that has changed, and which seems to hold his life hostage to random coincidence. Foxton’s nemesis, Bombardier Gary (Gaz) (Thrush) Bent, who paradoxically persists in saving Foxton’s life is in possession of a Valiant Christmas Special annual featuring Captain Hurricane, and ostensibly signed by him. Foxton is introduced by Gaz to his Great-Uncle, Lance-Jack Brian (Buster) Bradley, who claims to have fought with Captain Hurricane against the Italians in Abyssinia. Foxton’s new girlfriend, Clare, an archivist in the records office in Colchester produces documents, letters and photographs supporting the claim that Captain Hurricane did exist. She also tracks down Scott Goodall, creator of Captain Hurricane, who confirms that the character was drawn from life.

Foxton is besieged by dreams of the moments before he was blown into a coma, when he believed but is no longer certain that he followed Osama bin Laden into a cave to be confronted by a half-forgotten childhood playmate, Paki Dave, pointing a gun at him. Clinging to an idealised vision of his barely remembered father, the final straw is broken for Foxton when his hated stepfather turns out to be none other than Mr Robert Foxton.

Ultimately Foxton finds the answers to all life’s questions, including whatever happened to Paki Dave as his life turns full-circle.”

2. Auld-Yin

Quick Bump to catch the tea time crew :)

3. Auld-Yin

Lets try this again. This is a rare opportunity to influence the characterisation of a novel. Often enough Arrsers complain that non military people get simple items completely wrong. Well here we have an author who realises that this is possible and has asked for some help and support to ensure that his character is believable.

So come on Arrsers, let's have some people willing to take this on to help ensure that Sgt Fucknuts comes across properly.

A-Y