Manufacturing in the UK

I can’t post a reference but I believe Nissan see a hard Brexit as an oppressive to significantly increase their share in the UK market. They expect a process of local substitution where British consumers buy locally made products because they are tariff free.
Research I've read tells me Nissan see a future UK-US FTA the key to more emerging markets beyond the EU.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DeLoitte's forecast a couple of years ago that in the even tof a Hard Brexit UK car manufacturing would go up by 17%
Lots of huffing and puffing from remainers about it all being incorrect but DeLoitte generally know what thy are talking about
Import substitution is a well documented economic concept. If imported goods become more expensive, then local manufacture becomes more attractive.

From a UK perspective, EU policy encourages the opposite - export substitution. The Euro gives German manufacturers a price advantage because it enables Germany to hide behind an artificially low exchange rate.

I think we’ll see significant growth in UK manufacturing once Brexit is done and dusted.

Yokel

LE
My threads on the need to rapidly manufacture ventilators for the current COVID-19 crisis were merged and moved to here - in the dedicated forum.

The government request can be found here.

We are lucky to have considerable scientific and engineering capability, as suppliers of the following are needed:

Air compressors/pumps
Bellows
Self inflating bags
Gas mixing valves
Pressure regulators
Flow Control Valves
Solenoid Valves
Pressure relief valves
Check valves/one way valves
Industrial automation components (Safety Relays, PLCs)
Power Supplies
Electric motors, and motor controllers
Linear actuators and controllers
Tubing and fittings
Pressure sensors and indicators
Oxygen sensors and indicators
Flow sensors and indicators
Manometers
Heat and moisture exchanging filters (HMEF)
Air filters, HEPA filters

They needed capabilities such as:

Design/specification
Rapid prototyping
Manufacturing (manual)
Manufacturing (automated)
Machine shops/sheet metal/tool manufacture
Pneumatic part manufacturers/suppliers
Contract/product assembly
Certification/regulation/testing
Logistics
Medical training

British industry and academia has responded to the challenge. Our high technology industries really are important.

Check valves / one-way valves
Industrial Automation components (Safety Relays, PLCs)
Power Supplies
Electric Motors, and motor controllers
Tubing and fittings
Pressure Sensors and Indicators
Oxygen Sensors and Indicators
Flow Sensors and Indicators
Manometers
Heat and moisture exchanging filters (HMEFs)

Last edited:
To apply the strategic principle behind the design of the DeHavilland Mosquito to this, can Iron Lungs be used instead of ventilators requiring intubation?

To apply the strategic principle behind the design of the DeHavilland Mosquito to this, can Iron Lungs be used instead of ventilators requiring intubation?
No.
AIUI they are for otherwise healthy people but who's lung muscles wouldn't work due to, eg, polio rather than the acutely ill patient.
Stick somebody in one & you can't:
x-ray/CT scan then
Stick needles in them
Operate on them

Are they actually cheaper/easier to build then ventilators, especially seeing as how there isn't an existing manufacturing supply chain for them

No.
AIUI they are for otherwise healthy people but who's lung muscles wouldn't work due to, eg, polio rather than the acutely ill patient.
Stick somebody in one & you can't:
x-ray/CT scan then
Stick needles in them
Operate on them

Are they actually cheaper/easier to build then ventilators, especially seeing as how there isn't an existing manufacturing supply chain for them
Cheers Andy.

I can see your point reference injectctions and canulisation (is that a word?).
How often are X-Rays and CT's being administered to COVID19 cases though?
Similarly, are they being operated on at all?

Reference you last point, are they? Thats the question, because we are are hearing a lot that ventilators ARE expensive and difficult to manufacture.

My threads on the need to rapidly manufacture ventilators for the current COVID-19 crisis were merged and moved to here - in the dedicated forum.

The government request can be found here.

We are lucky to have considerable scientific and engineering capability, as suppliers of the following are needed:

Air compressors/pumps
Bellows
Self inflating bags
Gas mixing valves
Pressure regulators
Flow Control Valves
Solenoid Valves
Pressure relief valves
Check valves/one way valves
Industrial automation components (Safety Relays, PLCs)
Power Supplies
Electric motors, and motor controllers
Tubing and fittings
Pressure sensors and indicators
Oxygen sensors and indicators
Flow sensors and indicators
Manometers
Heat and moisture exchanging filters (HMEF)
Air filters, HEPA filters

They needed capabilities such as:

Design/specification
Rapid prototyping
Manufacturing (manual)
Manufacturing (automated)
Machine shops/sheet metal/tool manufacture
Pneumatic part manufacturers/suppliers
Contract/product assembly
Certification/regulation/testing
Logistics
Medical training

British industry and academia has responded to the challenge. Our high technology industries really are important.

Check valves / one-way valves
Industrial Automation components (Safety Relays, PLCs)
Power Supplies
Electric Motors, and motor controllers
Tubing and fittings
Pressure Sensors and Indicators
Oxygen Sensors and Indicators
Flow Sensors and Indicators
Manometers
Heat and moisture exchanging filters (HMEFs)
Air compressors/pumps - bloke on beer and peanuts in the morning - most arrsers
Bellows - see above
Self inflating bags - MILFs, GILFs, Brunette threads
Gas mixing valves - bloke on beer and peanuts
Pressure regulators - bloke on less beer and peanuts
Flow Control Valves - bloke on too much beer hoping he wasn't circumcised.
Solenoid Valves - model railway enthusiasts / Hornby, PECO
Pressure relief valves - Arrseholes
Check valves/one way valves - more Arrseholes
Industrial automation components (Safety Relays, PLCs) - @Not a Boffin
Power Supplies - Boffin
Electric motors, and motor controllers - model railways forum
Linear actuators and controllers - model railways
Tubing and fittings - model railways
Pressure sensors and indicators - @eodmatt
Oxygen sensors and indicators - @Riga - I steal oxygen
Flow sensors and indicators - pants are wet, the arrser didn't reach the laff in time.
Manometers - @jarrod248 apparently, he measures men by the metre...
Heat and moisture exchanging filters (HMEF) @Lady Penelope
Air filters, HEPA filters @Guns

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember when the A10 road in London was flanked by manufacturing business's from TOTTENHAM right through to Waltham Cross. NOW its only shops and afew of them have closed down. Where are we making stuff ??

Cheers Andy.

I can see your point reference injectctions and canulisation (is that a word?).
How often are X-Rays and CT's being administered to COVID19 cases though?
Similarly, are they being operated on at all?

Reference you last point, are they? Thats the question, because we are are hearing a lot that ventilators ARE expensive and difficult to manufacture.
If they were, I'd expect them to still be in use. That they aren't suggests modern invasive and non-invasive ventilators are the way forward.
Iron lung still needs all the measuring and triggering gubbins to work, it won't administer O2, it'll be a nightmare to decontaminate between patients.

If somebodys ill enough that they can't breath on their own, intubation is prob needed to secure the airway and get all the other ICU shinnagins done to them anyway

If they were, I'd expect them to still be in use. That they aren't suggests modern invasive and non-invasive ventilators are the way forward.
Iron lung still needs all the measuring and triggering gubbins to work, it won't administer O2, it'll be a nightmare to decontaminate between patients.

If somebodys ill enough that they can't breath on their own, intubation is prob needed to secure the airway and get all the other ICU shinnagins done to them anyway
Blimey! Some of them were until very recently. Iron lung - Wikipedia

There are patients who today still use the older machines, often in their homes, despite the occasional difficulty of finding the various replacement parts.[32] Joan Headley of Post-Polio Health International said that as of May 28, 2008, there were about 30 patients in the U.S. still using an iron lung.[33] That figure may be inaccurately low; Houston alone had 19 iron lung patients living at home in 2008.[34] Martha Mason of Lattimore, North Carolina, died on May 4, 2009, after spending 60 of her 72 years in an iron lung.[35]

On 30 October 2009, June Middleton of Melbourne, Australia, who had been entered in the Guinness Book of Records as the person who spent the longest time in an iron lung, died aged 83, having spent more than 60 years in her iron lung.[36]

In 2013, the Post-Polio Health International (PHI) organizations estimated that there were only six to eight iron lung users in the United States; as of 2017 its executive director knew of none. Press reports then emerged, however, of at least three (perhaps the last three)[37] users of such devices,[38] sparking interest amongst those in the makerspace community such as Naomi Wu[39] in the manufacture of the obsolete components, particularly the gaskets.[40] Another is retired lawyer Paul Alexander, 72, of Dallas.[41]

I'm surprised there hasn't been a movie made of this guys story.

Yokel

LE
Does the UK have the ability to produce personal protective equipment for medical personnel or had this all been offshore? I wonder how you would make an economic case (in normal times) to produce things like masks and gloves in the UK.

Where do 3M manufacture things? 3M was on the boxes being loaded by soldiers on the TV.

Where do 3M manufacture things? 3M was on the boxes being loaded by soldiers on the TV.
I'd suspect China, like every other manufacturer.

Yokel

LE
At University (Electronic and Communication Engineering) we did a Business Studies module. As part of this we looked at case studies and saying what you would do if you were running the company. One of them was a medical equipment supplier, and the lower value items would be moved to offshore manufacturing.

If they are made in China, then even if production is increased it will take weeks to ship them here.

However, if you look on earlier pages, you will see companies that have returned manufacturing to the West as shipping delays cause problems.

Yokel

LE
I wonder how much of our manufacturing sector (not including food, drugs, medical equipment and so on) counts as being of national importance even during the current crisis? For example, I worked for a company that had a clean room to make certain components and cable harnesses for satellites, but those facilities could easily be used to produce medical equipment parts.

What about manufacturers of consumables and spares for ambulances and other emergency vehicles? Or parts to keep lorries on the road? Or things for the utilities?

This is quite interesting.

ETA I should have written a little more. Its a 3D printed valve to convert the snorkel mask evident in the video into a component for a ventilation set up.

Last edited:
I wonder how much of our manufacturing sector (not including food, drugs, medical equipment and so on) counts as being of national importance even during the current crisis? For example, I worked for a company that had a clean room to make certain components and cable harnesses for satellites, but those facilities could easily be used to produce medical equipment parts.

What about manufacturers of consumables and spares for ambulances and other emergency vehicles? Or parts to keep lorries on the road? Or things for the utilities?
Can you calm down?
Google is your friend... and travelling when you were younger.
You've never heard of Germany? France? Spain? Italy? Central Europe, North Eastern Europe? Sweden?

Nokia is from?
London Eye spindel is from?
Audi A4s are from?
Porsche wannabe tanks are from?
Cadbury's chocolate is from?
Bacon is from? (Nul points)

Yokel

LE
I am calm!

My point was to ponder to what extent is manufacturing of non consumer products considered essential. Whilst doing some safe shopping this morning I drove past a factory that produce components mostly for aerospace - both civil and military. The car park was full and people were walking about.

Yokel

LE
Having said that, work seems to have stopped at BAE Systems' shipyards on the Clyde and at Barrow in Furness - and I assume at other BAES sites. Not all defence and aerospace sites are carrying on as normal.

However at some point a lot of manufacturing, such as industrial equipment, construction plant, agricultural machinery...

Yokel

LE
Question for ARRSE users - how many of you work in manufacturing and are still working? Can some things like cable assembly, other light fabrication, and some inspection be performed from home?

Presumably social distancing measures are taken by employees at essential manufacturers of food and pharmaceuticals, and companies building ventilators such as Dyson, JCB, or BAE Systems.

Thinking of a local company that did contract electronics manufacture and design and production of electromagnetic components for aerospace, defence, and similar demanding sectors - including medical, and had an ESA approved clean room for producing satellite parts, they could carry on. However the need for social distancing would reduce their output. 50% or 60% is better than 0% surely?

Latest Threads