Mansion tax

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by samain11, Feb 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been listening to the two Ed's going on about this, together with the 10p tax rate. It just doesn't add up for me.
    The personal allowances going up is a much cheaper and efficient way of taking the low paid out of tax and a mansion
    tax sounds more like a punitive measure than a tax-raising one. Just playing to gallery as usual.
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Has potential to change the way houses are valued.
  3. It is a punitive confiscatory measure and always was, just the same as the 50% (soon to be 45%) tax band. Some people think that taxing the rich will raise money, it won't. Tax avoidance is to be praised, the moment the government get the idea that they can just help themselves to your money is the moment when you need to worry.
    • Like Like x 9
  4. TheIronDuke must be gutted at this news!
    He may have to sell up quicker than he thought if his boy, DC does not get back in!
  5. Isn't it time we all paid much less tax and let them get their money in VAT?
    Wouldn't it boost the economy.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Unfortunately most of the people who vote are stupid people, and stupid people think that taxing the rich more somehow is a really good idea.
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Does voting really change anything at all? I can say I've ever felt better off under any govt only progressively worse off.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. So taxing the poorer sections of society is the way forward then, and not in the least bit stupid?
  9. If voting actually changed anything it would be banned a bit sharpish.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Not as stupid as asking someone to pay 50% ( not including National Insurance don't forget) of their wages to the government. If ever there was an incentive to stunt growth and force people with aspirations to go overseas or even worse, just not bother, I cant think of a better one. Still, the 10% tax rate ( of which the two edds had a say in the decision, despite their blame on Gordon) will benefit people to the tune of 67p a week and cost the treasury a fortune.

Its really quite simple. Cut the tax rules, and charge everyone a flat rate of 22%, no matter what they earn. 22% of 50k a year is not to be sniffed at

No horsemeat was used in the production of this post
    • Like Like x 7
  11. I've said it before, but I like "no representation without taxation" or in other words only taxpayers get the vote, if yoy want a say then stop skiving and buy into the system.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. How much is his "house" worth?

And how much is his "mansion" worth.

Sound bite to catch the stupid voters for his brothers party.
  13. Someone on a 40 hour week earning basic minimum wage would end up with about £195.oo minus N.I. using your plan. Think again.
  14. Really, you sure about that? Have you forgot that the first 10grand, a scheme introduced by the current gov, is free of tax? B-, show again.....

No horsemeat was used in the production of this post
  15. Given that the top 1% of taxpayers pay 25% of all tax and the top 10% pay 50% of all tax do you not think that the "rich" are already being taxed?

The less well off 90% pay only 50% of all tax and those at the bottom pay nothing at all.