Mansion tax

I have been listening to the two Ed's going on about this, together with the 10p tax rate. It just doesn't add up for me.
The personal allowances going up is a much cheaper and efficient way of taking the low paid out of tax and a mansion
tax sounds more like a punitive measure than a tax-raising one. Just playing to gallery as usual.

It is a punitive confiscatory measure and always was, just the same as the 50% (soon to be 45%) tax band. Some people think that taxing the rich will raise money, it won't. Tax avoidance is to be praised, the moment the government get the idea that they can just help themselves to your money is the moment when you need to worry.

TheIronDuke must be gutted at this news!
He may have to sell up quicker than he thought if his boy, DC does not get back in!

It is a punitive confiscatory measure and always was, just the same as the 50% (soon to be 45%) tax band. Some people think that taxing the rich will raise money, it won't. Tax avoidance is to be praised, the moment the government get the idea that they can just help themselves to your money is the moment when you need to worry.
Unfortunately most of the people who vote are stupid people, and stupid people think that taxing the rich more somehow is a really good idea.

T

trowel

Unfortunately most of the people who vote are stupid people, and stupid people think that taxing the rich more somehow is a really good idea.
So taxing the poorer sections of society is the way forward then, and not in the least bit stupid?

So taxing the poorer sections of society is the way forward then, and not in the least bit stupid?
Not as stupid as asking someone to pay 50% ( not including National Insurance don't forget) of their wages to the government. If ever there was an incentive to stunt growth and force people with aspirations to go overseas or even worse, just not bother, I cant think of a better one. Still, the 10% tax rate ( of which the two edds had a say in the decision, despite their blame on Gordon) will benefit people to the tune of 67p a week and cost the treasury a fortune.

Its really quite simple. Cut the tax rules, and charge everyone a flat rate of 22%, no matter what they earn. 22% of 50k a year is not to be sniffed at

No horsemeat was used in the production of this post

I've said it before, but I like "no representation without taxation" or in other words only taxpayers get the vote, if yoy want a say then stop skiving and buy into the system.

T

trowel

Not as stupid as asking someone to pay 50% ( not including National Insurance don't forget) of their wages to the government. If ever there was an incentive to stunt growth and force people with aspirations to go overseas or even worse, just not bother, I cant think of a better one. Still, the 10% tax rate ( of which the two edds had a say in the decision, despite their blame on Gordon) will benefit people to the tune of 67p a week and cost the treasury a fortune.

Its really quite simple. Cut the tax rules, and charge everyone a flat rate of 22%, no matter what they earn. 22% of 50k a year is not to be sniffed at

No horsemeat was used in the production of this post
Someone on a 40 hour week earning basic minimum wage would end up with about £195.oo minus N.I. using your plan. Think again.

Given that the top 1% of taxpayers pay 25% of all tax and the top 10% pay 50% of all tax do you not think that the "rich" are already being taxed?

The less well off 90% pay only 50% of all tax and those at the bottom pay nothing at all.

As already mentioned, raising the tax band does help the poorer sections of society. I would also hazard that the richer sections pay more in VAT due to spending more.

I've said it before, but I like "no representation without taxation" or in other words only taxpayers get the vote, if yoy want a say then stop skiving and buy into the system.
a) The Government decides who pays tax.

b) Providing the Government with a way to eliminate large sections of the voter base doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

c) Everybody pays tax in some form or another: VAT, fuel tax, road tax, etc.