Manning numbers up.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
One area that would free up significant cash is boarding-school allowance which absorbs over 80% of the allowances for the benefit of 5% of servicemen. Some would leave, but if the money was diverted elsewhere, others would stay.
Why not allow children to accompny parents where it is safe and pay for local english schools to educate their children.

Why not allow children to accompny parents where it is safe and pay for local english schools to educate their children.
It not always available, different schools have different exam boards (with different criteria). International schools are quite expensive.

@Magic_Mushroom suggested that boarding school allowances be done away with. Would there not be a fair few Seniors who would spit their coffee out at that one? Feel free to amend beverage.
Not really, as he pointed out it only affects a small percentage of the those serving (by percentage it's is overwhelmingly officers who benefit in the Army (not sure about the Navy).

@Magic_Mushroom suggested that boarding school allowances be done away with. Would there not be a fair few Seniors who would spit their coffee out at that one? Feel free to amend beverage.
Yup, I’ve got quite a few mates, and acquaintances from over the years, whose kids board. People stay in to make use of boarding school allowance, I think the question is can we tolerate those people leaving if they lose it?

That brings tourist dollars to the UK?
I was referring to things such as rainbow flags to exercises that have **** all training value.

Yup, I’ve got quite a few mates, and acquaintances from over the years, whose kids board. People stay in to make use of boarding school allowance, I think the question is can we tolerate those people leaving if they lose it?
The percentage of the army who would leave would be very small, the question is will that number be covered or exceeded by people staying (who previously wouldnt) due to money being used elsewhere.

The percentage of the army who would leave would be very small, the question is will that number be covered or exceeded by people staying (who previously wouldnt) due to money being used elsewhere.
The percentage of those leaving is irrelevant, only the impact of losing those individuals and the impact on retention.

We could start by decriminalisation of those who have the temerity to claim what is due them on JPA.

But I don’t think it is a Tri-Service issue :)

The percentage of those leaving is irrelevant, only the impact of losing those individuals and the impact on retention.
Of course the percentage is relevant, I think it slightly higher than the 5% mentioned earlier, I'm sure it's about 7%. A few years back we cut 20% of the armed forces.
Of those 7%, how many would stay in anyway? And of the remaining who think that civvie street will be any better for schooling, how many are critical for the Army.
If you offered anyone 10s of thousands extra to stay in every year you will probably get a spike in their retention. It doesn't have to be given via CEA.

We could start by decriminalisation of those who have the temerity to claim what is due them on JPA.

But I don’t think it is a Tri-Service issue :)
That only applies to the juniors.
The rest of us are ok, Jack.

For anyone with MODnet access. You'll find the recent staff stats including inflow/outflow if you search down recent news. Draw your own conclusions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
uncle_vanya The Intelligence Cell 142
W REME 4
Bad CO Army Reserve 20