Manning numbers up.

Has the Royal Navy solved its manpower problems? Nice article from Save the Royal Navy @Yokel @Guns

Mentions that numbers are now building and this is partly built on the advertising slogan that has been very successful - born in... made in the Royal Navy alongside shiny new toys.

So will the F35 impact on RN numbers or RAF (who are in trouble)?

Worth noting that the likes of @Ravers are missed as these are the old sweats and also highlighted is the lack of marine engineers in the RFA and RN and therefore challenging the claim that no ships will be laid up in the future. Look forward to reading your informed comments gents.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I joined a ship last year that was midway through a deployment and they were struggling.

My experience from the past 3-5 years leads me to believe that retention is now the worst it’s ever been in living memory.

The last ship I was on, every single WE Junior Rate who was eligible to put there notice in had done so. (i.e everyone with 3.5 years plus service).

Until we see both carriers and all the “harbour training ships” fully manned, then I will continue to ascertain that the RN has a massive manning crisis.

I joined a ship last year that was midway through a deployment and they were struggling.

My experience from the past 3-5 years leads me to believe that retention is now the worst it’s ever been in living memory.

The last ship I was on, every single WE Junior Rate who was eligible to put there notice in had done so. (i.e everyone with 3.5 years plus service).

Until we see both carriers and all the “harbour training ships” fully manned, then I will continue to ascertain that the RN has a massive manning crisis.
Do you think they can build up the Reserves such as yourself who still fancy keeping their hand in?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Do you think they can build up the Reserves such as yourself who still fancy keeping their hand in?
Yes. Our branch is one of the few recruitment success stories in recent times.

However there are still a lot of things to iron out and the RN can’t just rely on the goodwill of a few sad ******* like me who love donning a pair of ovies and fixing ships in their spare time.

I'd genuinely love to be proved wrong but as I said elsewhere, but the devil is in the detail.

There's a VERY big difference between liability, strength, trained strength and having sufficient Suitably Qualified and Trained Personnel (SQEP); I notice for instance that the 'Save the RN' even adds RFA numbers (which are NOT counted in official RN liability).

I await with interest to read forthcoming Defence Statistics reports!

Regards,
MM

Not just the RN, but all three services. There's going to be tears before bedtime as the services realize that the terms and conditions, pay etc need to be radically improved. Warships might need to get bigger just to offer better accommodation for the juniors. Who the hell wants to live in a 10-man mess on bunk beds for half their career?

All these reality shows, showing kids going through training, no-one wants to do that shit when they could go to Uni, get a degree in basket weaving or dance interpretation and sponge off the state. My three UK kids want nothing to do with the military or navy. They see it as beneath them, a career of last resort.

Not just in the UK either, it's the same here in the US. No-one wants to get treated like a peon, and more importantly, they won't put up with it for a couple years to get through the other side and have a decent, respectable career. There's Marines ads everywhere where I live. Same for the Air Guard. They just can't recruit. The famous scenes of USMC drill instructors screaming at recruits. They're all thinking "fcuk that".

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Roadster280, post: 9160147, member: 11815"All these reality shows, showing kids going through training, no-one wants to do that shit when they could go to Uni.[/QUOTE]
A slight contradiction there Roadster, the reality shows are showing kids that DO want to go through that.
I agree with the rest of the post though.

Perhaps instead of just showing recruit training they should concentrate a bit more on the actual life style, similar to what the RN did with the HMS Daring deployment. Maybe they should concentrate on the camaraderie, the skills, the laughs, the professionalism as well as the mundane.

A slight contradiction there Roadster, the reality shows are showing kids that DO want to go through that.

Perhaps instead of just showing recruit training they should concentrate a bit more on the actual life style, similar to what the RN did with the HMS Daring deployment. Maybe they should concentrate on the camaraderie, the skills, the laughs, the professionalism as well as the mundane.
Maybe the correct phrase is "not enough kids want to go through that".

Definitely agree on showing the later stages of career. it's all well and good showing say cadets at RMAS, but what about the CSgt instructor? Maybe show how he got there:

"Here's an infantry platoon in basic"
"Here's a similar group of lads 2 years into their career. These lads are live firing with Warrior this week"
"Here's the JNCOs in another infantry bn, they are on a FIBUA exercise this week"
"Here's a newly promoted Sgt, he's now a platoon Sgt. And here's the NIG 2Lt he's lumbered with"
Finally show a newly posted-in CSgt at RMAS, and perhaps when he goes back to Bn as a CSM.

I'd genuinely love to be proved wrong but as I said elsewhere, but the devil is in the detail.

There's a VERY big difference between liability, strength, trained strength and having sufficient Suitably Qualified and Trained Personnel (SQEP); I notice for instance that the 'Save the RN' even adds RFA numbers (which are NOT counted in official RN liability).

I await with interest to read forthcoming Defence Statistics reports!

Regards,
MM

I would be interested too - has the Government upped the Navy's manpower liability on the sly?

From a recent briefing, I do know there are changes afoot, but the detail is being worked out. They are trying to find ways of improving retention, perhaps by allowing people to take a break from back to back deployments. There will be increased use of the Reserves - perhaps with more flexible and shorter periods of mobilisation.

There will be an attempt to retain SQEP personnel leaving the regular service by transferring them to the Reserve - for example Marine Engineering and Weapon Engineering types.

Last edited:
Maybe the correct phrase is "not enough kids want to go through that".

Definitely agree on showing the later stages of career. it's all well and good showing say cadets at RMAS, but what about the CSgt instructor? Maybe show how he got there:

"Here's an infantry platoon in basic"
"Here's a similar group of lads 2 years into their career. These lads are live firing with Warrior this week"
"Here's the JNCOs in another infantry bn, they are on a FIBUA exercise this week"
"Here's a newly promoted Sgt, he's now a platoon Sgt. And here's the NIG 2Lt he's lumbered with"
Finally show a newly posted-in CSgt at RMAS, and perhaps when he goes back to Bn as a CSM.
Soldier, Soldier?!

[QUOTE="Roadster280, post: 9160147, member: 11815"All these reality shows, showing kids going through training, no-one wants to do that shit when they could go to Uni.

Perhaps instead of just showing recruit training they should concentrate a bit more on the actual life style, similar to what the RN did with the HMS Daring deployment. Maybe they should concentrate on the camaraderie, the skills, the laughs, the professionalism as well as the mundane.[/QUOTE]
Or just get @Ravers on TV telling his dits of shagging anything that moved, almost anywhere in the world and having a laugh at the same time... (Ravers has been too diplomatic to mention the first part...)

My daughter was born in Birmingham, made an alcoholic in the Navy.

Seriously, for a moment, she loves her job as far as the nursing goes but the internecine politics of an interservice centre is draining her will to stay in.

The thing is the RN and RAF have sexy toys to play with, I bet half of the RN want to serve on the QEC and who wouldn't want to fly a Typhoon or an F35, they are seen on TV a lot more than the Army's latest toys as well. But having said that there a lots of kids who prefer the Army, I mean let's be honest, it's more ally for a start! I can see the need to have shows about the Paras and Royal Marine training, but I also see the need for shows that depict live firing with Challengers and fire support vehicles, how about documentary crews embedded with troops on the latest NATO exercise, a team in the head shed and a team on the ground showing what Army life is all about? There are many ways to trigger that emotion to actually get of their mobile phones and join up, it just need some thought put into it.

I would be interested too - has the Government upped the Navy's manpower liability in the sly?

From a recent briefing, I do know there are changes afoot, but the detail is being worked out. They are trying to find ways of improving retention, perhaps by allowing people to take a break from back to back deployments. There will be increased use of the Reserves - perhaps with more flexible and shorter periods of mobilisation.

There will be an attempt to retain SQEP personnel leaving the regular service by transferring them to the Reserve - for example Marine Engineering and Weapon Engineering types.
And you believed it?

Not that I like to go against the flow, but AFC(H) has, just this last weekend, had the biggest intake in its history, according to some random bloke on twitter ^~

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
uncle_vanya The Intelligence Cell 142
W REME 4
Bad CO Army Reserve 20