Mann SV training

I have a driving license from 1987 and the new plastic issued one has codes B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E. Checking with DVLA it states i can drive vehicles upto 8,250kg that's 8.25tonne. So why do i have to apply for a HGV license and book a driving test to drive a Mann SV, when they are a 6 tonne vehicle. Says my MT dept...Can anyone help here..

Because you need Cat C under Army Regulations. This will also allow you to drive heavier vehicles, which you may be required to do.

I have a driving license from 1987 and the new plastic issued one has codes B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E. Checking with DVLA it states i can drive vehicles upto 8,250kg that's 8.25tonne. So why do i have to apply for a HGV license and book a driving test to drive a Mann SV, when they are a 6 tonne vehicle. Says my MT dept...Can anyone help here..
Is 6t not their load capacity rather than all-up weight?

Because you need Cat C under Army Regulations. This will also allow you to drive heavier vehicles, which you may be required to do.
So even with all these cats i have to pass a hazard perseption test and online assessment still ??? Not just jump into a Mann SV at a trg center drive for a week then do a test..

So even with all these cats i have to pass a hazard perseption test and online assessment still ??? Not just jump into a Mann SV at a trg center drive for a week then do a test..
No.

The Mann SV also allows you to drive the bigger brothers after a fam drive so you need the cat C up front.

Cat C1 allows you to drive a LGV with a Gross Vehicle Weight (truck plus load) of up to 7.5 tonne (Driving licence categories).

The MAN SV has a GVW of (about) 13 tonne, ie over 7.5 tonne.

Nothing to do with Army regs, except that the Army follows DVSA rules.

Whoever you spoke to in DVLA needs a spank as does your MT who should be all over this like a rash.

Edited to add - the 8.25 tonne derives from your "plus E" trailer entitlement which allows you to add a trailer with a GTW of 750Kg. DVLA should have pointed that out, so they still deserve a smack.

Ah, so there are regulations after all. Didn’t think I’d made a mistake there.