Mandelson to be made a lord

HERE
Sunday Times said:
July 8, 2007

Mandelson to be made a lord
Alan Schofield
PETER Mandelson, the European Union commissioner and former cabinet minister, is to be recommended by Tony Blair for a peerage.

The former prime minister is expected to put forward Mandelson’s name to the Lords appointments commission shortly.

Although the appointment is likely to be controversial and has already irked some Labour colleagues, it is usual practice for Britain’s EU commissioners to be sent to the House of Lords.

Mandelson will not be able to take his seat in the upper house as there are still 16 months left of his term as trade commissioner in Brussels, where his duty is to represent all 27 EU member states.

He has confirmed he will step down from the role in 2009. A friend of Mandelson said: “It will be like an honorary title and he won’t get involved in the day-to-day workings of the House of Lords. He wouldn’t want to anyway. But I’d expect him to make an appearance when things get spicy. I don’t doubt it will be controversial.”

It is not expected that Blair will publish a resignation honours list – or “lavender list” – as previous prime ministers have done. Instead he will put forward names to the appointments commission “in the normal way”.

The move ends the tradition where departing prime ministers nominate whoever they like for a peerage without checks on the candidates’ suitability. Blair may have been influenced by concerns that such a list would heighten accusations of crony-ism at a time when the Crown Prosecution Service may be close to recommending charges in the cash for honours affair.

MPs are likely to consider it ironic that Mandelson is to be elevated to the Lords during the premiership of Gordon Brown, a bitter rival of the EU commissioner.

One senior Labour MP said: “Mandelson’s got no chance of getting anything out of Gordon, so Tony’s rewarding him while he can. This is right up Mandelson’s boulevard – he’s been lording it up for years.”

It is not clear what title he will take but possibilities are Lord Mandelson of Hartlepool, his former Commons constituency, or Lord Mandelson of Hampstead, the area of north London where he grew up.

Mandelson has long been a controversial figure. He was sacked twice from the cabinet. The first occasion was for not declaring a loan from a fellow MP to buy a home and the second was over a scandal involving allegations that he fast-tracked passport applications for friends.

He will join other EU commissioners who have accepted peerages. Mandelson’s predecessors in the EU, Neil Kinnock and Chris Patten, were made life peers in 2005 after working in Brussels. Only one former EU commissioner has refused the offer of a seat. Bruce Millan turned down the honour because, according to one colleague, he “didn’t believe in the House of Lords”.
... Lord Mandy?

Ex_ex

War Hero
Damn you beat me to it!

Baroness Mandy of Hampstead Heath.

A friend of Mandelson said: “It will be like an honorary title and he won’t get involved in the day-to-day workings of the House of Lords. He wouldn’t want to anyway.
What is the point of elevating someone to the Lords if they aren't going to work there? The whole point of the House of Lords is that they are supposed to scrutinise the work of the House of Commons and pass on the benefit of their collective experience.

But this is politics and Mandelson...

But I’d expect him to make an appearance when things get spicy.
Quite. :twisted:

Litotes

As per normal with politicians "do as i say not as i do", they want to abolish the Peerage but in the meantime "lets all get our snouts in the trough". Frankly this sort of thing just makes me want to vomit. Mandelson and Prescott both total w*nkers but obviously holding some sort of dirt on B-liar.

When I was younger I saw Animal Farm ( George Orwells version) and thought that there was quite a distinct difference between communist leaders and democratic leaders. As I get older and wiser I realise there is no difference and they are all out for what they can cream off the top.
Christ i'm becoming cynical.
AJ

maybe we can get the french to lop his head off then :twisted:
vie la revolution :twisted:

monkey104 said:
When I was younger I saw Animal Farm ( George Orwells version) and thought that there was quite a distinct difference between communist leaders and democratic leaders. As I get older and wiser I realise there is no difference and they are all out for what they can cream off the top.
Christ i'm becoming cynical.
AJ
No This bent politician recently stated that people had to be governed by set people not who they want (cant remember the excact phrase) can someone else remember what was mentioned.

Just stunk of 4 legs good 2 better :(

Was out for supper a few years ago in quite a swanky restaurant in Gilford, Co Armagh. There was myself & the wife. The only other people in the restaurant were Mandy & his man wife having a romantic candlelit supper all loved up, & 2 RUC close protection guys trying hard to be invisible and sat drinking cokes. We got talking to them and all four of us agreed that it was morally repugnant to watch them together. We had a very immature hour of guessing who mas mummy & who was daddy and talking about who had choked on his Hon Member et al.

Suggest he becomes Lord Felch of Brighton

:x

hang them all!!!

1 its saves the enviroment (no obnoxious gases)
2 its saves the health service (less old coffin dodgers)
3 it saves the economy (less expensive wages )

4 Most important it may save the country!!!!!!

Two faced ass stabbing fuukers the lot of them !!

Bent as a boomerang, and not just in the obvious sense. How many times has he decided to 'move on'? twice?. Mortgage, anyone?.

Elevation to the House of Lords ought to be for those who have made some sort of positive contribution to the country, and who's integrity is unquestioned. Not for shysters, apparatchiks, sycophants, donors, tokens, incompetents, or those who couldn't get elected to the Commons.

It's a symptom of a corrupt system, it's damaging democracy, and it's two-fingers to the British people.

Bliar has ruined the House of Lords which has operated for centuries. The grinning spiv has put nothing in its place except a handful of his cronies and those with the noses wedged firmly between his buttocks.

Twice dismissed and disgraced, an appalling advert for Great Britain, why not? Will his repellent boyfriend be 'Lady' Mandelson?

Why not truly shaft us and make the fat, useless, semi-literate, innumerate, ill-mannered, adulterous oik Prescott a Lord?

lsquared said:
Bliar has ruined the House of Lords which has operated for centuries. The grinning spiv has put nothing in its place except a handful of his cronies and those with the noses wedged firmly between his buttocks.

Twice dismissed and disgraced, an appalling advert for Great Britain, why not? Will his repellent boyfriend be 'Lady' Mandelson?

Why not truly shaft us and make the fat, useless, semi-literate, innumerate, ill-mannered, adulterous oik Prescott a Lord?
Would Lard not be better?

Latest Threads