Mandelson throws a hissy fit.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Feb 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Ooooh look at her.

Times story

2. OOoh bless.
    Perhaps Mandleson will get himself upset enough to have a heart attack?
    We can live in hope I suppose.

3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I rather suspect that comparing a chain of coffee shops to the United Kingdom is a bit cavalier, however, I also suspect that the CEo has rather more business experience and acumen than Lord Mandleson, who, although he is an expert on mortgages, stamp duty and fixtures and fittings, seems to have acquired his role due to an intimate knowledge of merchant bankers, a series of close friendships with rich men and having a very strange hold over Brown and Blair.

4. He could probably have run our country a bit better than mandies lot

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

And to think Brown brought him back in as a big hitter!! It just shows what a bunch of lack lustre non-entities they are to consider this moron something special. :roll:

6. Me'thinks that he dost protest to much

7. From the Telegraph:

She had previously spoken to Mr Schultz about the launch by Starbucks of Via Ready Brew, an instant coffee. Discussing the international business climate, Mr Schultz said: "The thing that is really troubling is that it took about a year and a half for consumer confidence to really fracture in the US. But the thing has gotten so quick in terms of how bad it's got in western Europe."

Pressed by Ms Bartiromo about economic conditions in Britain, Mr Schultz continued: "Unemployment, the subprime mortgage crisis specifically in the UK, and I think consumer confidence in the UK is very very poor."

Less than an hour later, the presenter asked Lord Mandelson about those comments on the same show. Clearly frustrated, he responded: "The UK is not spiralling, although I have noticed that Starbucks is in a great deal of trouble. But that may be because of their overexposure given the state of the market. So please do not project Starbucks onto the UK economy as a whole."

All seems fair enough and what I'd expect of any British politician when the CEO of a 'downsizing' corporation slights an economy they are representing. You can all back off with your pitiful knee-jerk reaction to a politician you don't like. I'm no fan, but this case seems fair do to me.

8. yes, yes, thats all well and good but can I still wish a heart attack upon the horrible little puff?

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

But the point was he had a hissy fit

Hardly a knee jerk reaction - this guys a proven liar, cheat and chancer over a period of 10 years. I'd sooner trust the Yorkshire Ripper to mind my Doris in a tool shop than this low life to say anything honest.

10. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

So the Chief Executive of a real company that exists in the real world of real decisions makes a comment that Mandleson doesnt like. I would rather believe the chap from starbucks who was probably saying Starbucks in the Uk is in freefall than what Mandleson says, after all he is only good for dodgy dealing, gravy train riding and sucking c0ck

11. "who the f*** is he?"

Exactly, what right has an honest, successful man with a proven track record to criticise UK Government policy and results. Next, you'll be expecting elected people to head up key government departments. What would happen then, people might believe politicians and have some respect for them, before you know it all sorts of people might actually turn up and vote. Chaos would ensue - there would be no jobs left for important people like Peter.

12. old_fat_and_hairy

Mandleson is known for being mendacious,self-serving and an eager acquisitor of wealth. His other proclivities are well-known, and was it mere happenstance that his bijou residence in Brussels was the Street of Young Boys? ( Rue des Jeune Fils) His appointment as British driver of the European Gravy Train was cynical - to say the least -considering his previous track record, and to enoble him and bring him in to the present government via a back door was oddly appropriate, yet once more displaying the Party's obvious contempt for both the standing of Parliament, the membership of the party, the law and the voters.

Lord Mandleson has been involved in some very shady deals, been seen in strange company and has made indiscreet remarks, yet he appears to be fireproof. The law - as passed and ratified by Parliament - does not seem to apply to him in any way. There have been allegations that he has "something" with which to bargain, some secret that he holds that allows him to be lionised and allowed to do pretty much as he pleases. Maybe he knows where the -metaphorical - bodies are buried?

13. Very well said. My considerations to the letter.

14. old_fat_and_hairy

It baffles me that Mandleson was brought back, especially as he was no ally of Brown, but since Campbell is now back in the fold, then we should not be surprised in anything else that happens. Blunkett is strongly rumoured to be about to be welcomed back, and if Blair was still Pm, then his Christ-like powers would enable him to raise Robin Cook from the dead!

Lord Mandleson was involved in criminal conduct, twice had to resign from the Government and yet is now back. This could link in with the Peter Sutcliffe thread; he is far less duplicitous than the good Lord.

15. The fact of the matter is that Mandelson has one thing both Brown and Blair wanted.

The negatives.