Mandelson guards defence budget from cuts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by harareboy99, Jul 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Financial Times

Now we all know Mandy pandy is speaking shite.

But where have the FT got this mysterious £48 billion figure from for the defence budget? I was under the impression the defence budget was around £34 billion?

2. Its £38Bn including the ops support.

The idea that Defence is protected is an interesting one. Perhaps he should look in more detail at the size and scale of cuts we're having to implement through PR09 and PR10!

3. It's a bit of a worry that the Financial Times can't get it's numbers right... :x

It also says in the article:
    And here's another Financial Times masterpiece:
    All it needs now is Richard North and Whet to add their invective, and we have a full house of nonsense spouted. :)

4. Surely under FOI the government is obliged to publish its budgets for each department?
    Or is that not the case?

I know the NAO wouldn't sign off on similar last month.

5. Now who's going to tell FT

Not me, former dumb squaddie, not worthy to lick their boots, grovel grovel fawn simper

6. It's lost on me how you can 'guard' or 'protect' something against yourself.

7. Its simple, you tell the dumb believing press/public that 'X' is safe under me, then they look elsewhere, while they are looking elsewhere you rape 'X' blind to a shaow of its former self.

And if anyone raises the fact you said you wouldnt, or that your promised not to, well, you just follow the lead of Gordon and either...

A. Ignor them.
    B. Tell them that you had already planned to do this a long time ago so it was included in the 'promise'
    C. Evade the question and refuse to answer anything to do with it.

Oh joy, I feel so well led.

8. Mr Mandelson is talking crap, just got out of a briefing and the words "CUT" were used to the tune of £27million!! mmmmm I wonder !

9. What Mandlecockshiner said was "That is not our intention" - which usually means: "we do not wish to but may if we have to"; which further translates to: "ideally we don't want to but are prepared to"; this in turn distils down to: "We would prefer not to but will probably have to"

Which in this case ultimately translates into: "bend over lads - here it comes"