Mandelson for PM?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Litotes, Dec 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last weekend, I spent an inordinate amount of time on the road. I quickly became fed up with the offerings on the radio and decided my own thoughts were better.

Unfortunately, I fell to musing that the Lord Protector aka Mandelson would, at some point in the very near future, depose King Charles 1st aka Gordon Brown and become, well, Lord Protector of All He Surveys.

This was so horrifying that the rest of the journey passed quickly with the radio on!

I haven't checked the odds but, maybe, I should. Should I? Could Mandelson be the next PM? Am I mad?

Litotes

2. I doubt very much the public are that stupid to vote for him in a general election and I doubt we would allow a second unelected tit in if he just trys to take over from one-eye.

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

"Calm yourself down and breath".

Said for both your benefit and mine, Litotes. :D

What a horridly active imagination you have. All I'll say is if that snake got in to office, my application would be in to emigrate (anywhere!) as it would mean that the UK public had lost all common sense.

4. My point exactly; he would be unelected, as is Gordon Brown. We wouldn't have a say.

They have form...

Litotes

5. Thanks for this Litotes 8O

Just as I was despairing over the two c0cks we will have to choose from at the next election you prove things could be worse. :omg:

6. Not even they would do that, Why, to do that would hold the general public in contempt and a decent goverment would neve...

Oh dear the penny has dropped

7. Not sure how they could arrange for his catamite to be introduced to the Saudis, the Pope etc on official visits.

8. It would never happen.

How would mandy sneak his phillipino rentboys through the ring of steel?Fnnar Fnnar.

9. Isn't that what the highly paid civil servants in the Foreign Office are paid for....?

Litotes

10. Sorry, Guys, but I wanted to share this nightmare.... it's been bugging me!

Litotes

11. I suppose they could dress him up in a frock and wig, cross between Yes Prime Minister and La Cage Aux Folles.

12. ARRSErs have shared some truly terrible thoughts over the years, Lits, but you've just taken us to new depths! :dead:

13. Serious answer is that it would be very difficult - the objection about two successive PMs not having gained a mandate from a general election raised when there was speculation that Milliband would run for the leadership would rear its head again. HMQ might instead insist on a dissolution of parliament and an election.

There might be an agreement that Mandleson would, upon taking office, announce that there would be an election in six months to allow him to put his legislative progamme before the country, something he could only effectively do if given a small amount of time to develop it while in office, but I suspect HMQ would only go for this option in exceptional circumstances.

Second, this assumes that the Labour party would have voted him in. There would inevitably be a 'Stop Mandleson' candidate, not least from those who also have ambtions to lead the party. Several of those possible candidates would probably be more popular.

Third, before doing this, he would almost certainly have to announce his intention to gain a seat in parliament. This would require a Labour MP in a safe seat to step down to allow Mandy to win a by-election.

And that's risky, because voters being asked to grant safe passage in such circumstances have often been bloody-minded and voted in the underdog. This happened to Patrick Gordon Walker in 1964 - lost at Smethwick, appointed as Foreign Sec by Wilson anyway, MP for Leyton induced to stand down, by-election early '65, Gordon Walker fought it, expecting to win easily - and the voters, deeply teed off, turned out in low numbers and returned the Tory candidate instead. (After making their point, they elected Gordon Walker in the 66 General Election.

For a party which is already in a spot of bother (the last poll had Cameron back out at 15% in front, IIRC), appointing one of the most unpopular men in politics as leader would make the Labour 1983 manifesto look like a potential election-winning document...

14. Is he even eligible to be pry minister now that he's in the upper house, y'know, a lord 'n' such?

MsG

15. Nothing in the constitution to prevent it, but it hasn't been done for a long time. I was about to say that the public wouldn't accept it, but seeing what they've already taken from this shower perhaps I ought not to tempt fate.