Mandatory Training = Pension ?

The new AFPS will cover all TOS include the reserves in a single pension scheme. Non-mobilised reservist training will be included.
What gives though? Annual bounty? The Armed Forces Pension has been squeezed so don't tell me they have suddenly decided that they can afford to award pensions to the TA?

What gives though? Annual bounty? The Armed Forces Pension has been squeezed so don't tell me they have suddenly decided that they can afford to award pensions to the TA?
This was from a presentation on the new AFPS.

Its the new AFPS, different benefits and will include the Reserve ie on new Reservist TOS as opposed to current TA. It will cost HMG less as a result of changes to immediate pensions, gratuities, communtation and the like. The bounty is not part of AFPS so is outwith the scheme. This is happending from start of FY 14/15.

The issue of bounty was raised in the Q&A session after the presentation. The answer was that the bounty will remain, the level (or levels?) of bounty and the qualification for bounty for reserve services are to be defined. Wait out for the new TACOS, I guess.

Firstly I'm stunned to see this bit of info just leak out like this. They could really have made a big splash of it as a major improvement to TACOS. For Camnostos, the FTRS pension kicks in nafter two years on FTRS at 1/70th salery per year served, payable at 65. Each subsequent tour counts, each is considered as a discrete package based on your DROP at the time, it would add to any Regular preserved pension. Under two years you used to get a SERPs credit, dunno what the score is now.

What is the average length of service for a TA soldier/officer. Not many make the full long term investment. I am fairly sure quite a few leave at about 5-6yrs. Certainly seems that in the medical side. How much will it cost to set up, maintain and administer all these little bits of pension escpecially when we have governments and subsequent governments who want to reduce spending pension input. When I speak to new recruits the pension thing is not a big factor as it never seems to be mentioned but bounty payments oh yes. I apreciate those of you with longer service but it wont be backdated. If it aint broke why try to fix it?

about 9% of your final (annual) salary index linked and a 3x lump sum for someone who does that 6.5 years service
havinggot through a couple of pages since posting that there appers to be some confusion about calculating final salary pensions for part timers.

You do not use their part time service to calculate thier years or service and their pro-rata salary. You use part time service to calculate thier years and the full time salary

Thus this hypothetical chap with the equivilent of 6.5 years full time service, presuemably made it to at least sgt by (being allowed to) serving that long, would get an annual pension of about £2.5k/year (plus 7.5k lump sum). Out in the real world that would need a private pension pot of about £60-70k

What is the average length of service for a TA soldier/officer. Not many make the full long term investment. I am fairly sure quite a few leave at about 5-6yrs. Certainly seems that in the medical side. How much will it cost to set up, maintain and administer all these little bits of pension escpecially when we have governments and subsequent governments who want to reduce spending pension input. When I speak to new recruits the pension thing is not a big factor as it never seems to be mentioned but bounty payments oh yes. I apreciate those of you with longer service but it wont be backdated. If it aint broke why try to fix it?
The driver is less about giving the TA a pension and more to do with having a simple AFPS that will support the NEM, whereby (this is the theory, anyway) future careers will be much more flexible across full-time and part-time levels of commtment. With the move away from a volunteer reserve (treated as casual labou) to a part-time reserve with greater obligation to train, will come a requirement to make the TACOS employment law compliant, that includes pension, sick leave, annual leave etc. the "price" for this for the individual level reservist will be the increased level of obligation.

I would be interested to know what this 'greater obligation to train' is? How can they enforce it when at the end of the day it is still a volunteer force? The pension will be not be that much of an incentive after all if you serve an average of 100 MTDs a year for 35 years it will still only amount to just over 9 years total service. Bet your bottom dollar by that time the pension system will not have the same values as it has today.

I would be interested to know what this 'greater obligation to train' is? How can they enforce it when at the end of the day it is still a volunteer force?
In the same way that when you take on a job in civvy-land you enter a contract to work certain hours/days/shifts per month and comply with their disciplinary process regarding non-attendance etc.

I would be interested to know what this 'greater obligation to train' is? How can they enforce it when at the end of the day it is still a volunteer force? The pension will be not be that much of an incentive after all if you serve an average of 100 MTDs a year for 35 years it will still only amount to just over 9 years total service. Bet your bottom dollar by that time the pension system will not have the same values as it has today.
Wait-out - this is still work in progress and requires primary legislation. The current consultation process is part of that work. However, the Volunteer Reserve will become a Part-Time Reserve. Difficult to discuss in any further detail, until the new TACOS are announced.

The pension may not be much of an incentive, but it is required for part-time service. As above, the intention is to have TACOS that cover all forms of service and a single pension scheme.

I hope that the solution will be to have a training regime and "package" that attracts people in, with "compulsion" being very much the last resort. As discussed elsewhere, the TA of the past was able to man itself and turn out quite large numbers for training but this was when it was significantly better resourced. The whole operation, Reg & Reserve is now much more under the thumb of unthinking bean-counters.

Latest Threads