Manchester United FC

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
18 other teams would swap places with us in a heartbeat.

When he arrived in the middle of the 18/19 season we were languishing in 7th and going nowhere fast and by the end only finished 6th. By the end of his first full season 19/20 we finished 3rd. This season we finished 2nd, and you don't see that as progress or improvement?

We have the youngest squad in the league, many of whom are still developing and learning to cope with the pressures of playing at that level, but it's coming. His signings have been good, and he definitely seems to have a long term plan for the team. The atmosphere around the club is much better, so I'm not sure what more you expect at this point in his tenure?

Besides, his three year contract doesn't have much longer to run, so assuming we don't win anything or regress, he will either be sacked or not offered an new one, so you'll get your hearts desire anyway...but who will you replace him with if you get your wish?
Rumour has it he’s been offered a new three year contract. A new contract without even looking like he could win anything, unbelievable.
Im not sure why you think the atmosphere is a lot better as thanks to Solskjaer Utd completely fecked up in the final of the Europa League a match they should have comfortably won in normal time.
Alas when it was obvious it was going to penalties he didn’t have the balls to bring Henderson on in place of De Gea who does his level best to dive out of the way when a penalty is taken.
I just think a club as big as Utd should have a coach who will at least get the best from the players he has available and I’m sorry but Solskjaer fails in this task on a regular basis.
Who would I have replace him? Well I was crying out for Allegri but he has gone and found a club in Italy now. I also like Simone of Atletico Madrid, he’d sought that fecking defence out one way or another but no doubt he’d like a crack at the CL with A Madrid.
There are a few more out there with far better credentials than Solskjaer. Do you honestly think with a packed OT the crowd would stand for SIX home defeats in one season, if that continues into next season then I really do hope our so called director of football has the sense to act.

A new contract without even looking like he could win anything, unbelievable.
Four semis, a final, a second place having been top suggests otherwise.

Im not sure why you think the atmosphere is a lot better as thanks to Solskjaer Utd completely fecked up in the final of the Europa League a match they should have comfortably won in normal time.
I think it's fair to say that the final exposed the lack of depth in the squad - particularly in the midfield - part of which led to Bruno's visible dip in form.
Alas when it was obvious it was going to penalties he didn’t have the balls to bring Henderson on in place of De Gea who does his level best to dive out of the way when a penalty is taken.
De Gea is guilty of missing a pen. No-one is suggesting the spanish keeper should have been subbed because we scored ten pens....
Do you honestly think with a packed OT the crowd would stand for SIX home defeats in one season
Two of which occurred after no real pre-season and one of which occurred courtesy of the knobhead fraternity who decided to go on an ego trip, resulting in an unsustainable string of matches. The Leicester defeat was absolutely down to lack of mobile midfielders in the squad as a direct consequence.

I cannot and will not defend the Spurs and especially Sheff U defeats. That said, we've won leagues with more than six defeats in a season.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
^I think losing four semi finals and a final confirms he’s a bottler and a loser.

Rumour has it he’s been offered a new three year contract. A new contract without even looking like he could win anything, unbelievable.
I just think a club as big as Utd should have a coach who will at least get the best from the players he has available and I’m sorry but Solskjaer fails in this task on a regular basis.
Who would I have replace him? Well I was crying out for Allegri but he has gone and found a club in Italy now. I also like Simone of Atletico Madrid, he’d sought that fecking defence out one way or another but no doubt he’d like a crack at the CL with A Madrid.
There are a few more out there with far better credentials than Solskjaer. Do you honestly think with a packed OT the crowd would stand for SIX home defeats in one season, if that continues into next season then I really do hope our so called director of football has the sense to act.

So had we won the Europa, what would you have said then? Would you have celebrated it? Given the hatred you have for our manager I suspect you'd have found something else to moan about.

As to a three year extension of Ole's contract, I read somewhere that it'll be reviewed next season, so dependent on how we're doing at the time, it will decide if it's warranted...we'll have to wait and see what happens, but I'll be supporting the manager and his team.

Simeone would indeed improve some elements of the defence, but very much at the expense of the attack if that's what you prefer. Also, would point out that: 1. He isn't available. 2. not even he could make a reliable defender out of Lindelof. 3. And this is important given the dour football we played under Van Gaal, Simeone is cut from the same cloth, so even with his title win this season, which was more down to both Real and Barca fcuking up than any great masterclass by Simeone. 4. He has never indicated that he ever wants to manage in England, so with that in mind...I'm not sure he'd be the answer to your prayers.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
So had we won the Europa, what would you have said then? Would you have celebrated it? Given the hatred you have for our manager I suspect you'd have found something else to moan about.

As to a three year extension of Ole's contract, I read somewhere that it'll be reviewed next season, so dependent on how we're doing at the time, it will decide if it's warranted...we'll have to wait and see what happens, but I'll be supporting the manager and his team.

Simeone would indeed improve some elements of the defence, but very much at the expense of the attack if that's what you prefer. Also, would point out that: 1. He isn't available. 2. not even he could make a reliable defender out of Lindelof. 3. And this is important given the dour football we played under Van Gaal, Simeone is cut from the same cloth, so even with his title win this season, which was more down to both Real and Barca fcuking up than any great masterclass by Simeone. 4. He has never indicated that he ever wants to manage in England, so with that in mind...I'm not sure he'd be the answer to your prayers.
I’ll support the club but I’ll never support this manager.

Not sure what that link has to do with what was posted, but according to Transfermarkt we have the youngest squad, with an average age of 25.2, so make of that what you will. It'll be even lower next season if Garner comes home from his excellent loan spell at your tricky trees. Yet another cracking player from the United Academy, the most productive in the country, brought to you by Solskjaers insistance on promoting our young players.

Not sure what that link has to do with what was posted, but according to Transfermarkt we have the youngest squad, with an average age of 25.2, so make of that what you will. It'll be even lower next season if Garner comes home from his excellent loan spell at your tricky trees. Yet another cracking player from the United Academy, the most productive in the country, brought to you by Solskjaers insistance on promoting our young players.

It shows the top five youngest clubs. Man utd isn’t the youngest squad.

It shows the top five youngest clubs. Man utd isn’t the youngest squad.

Now that I think about it, the Cavani signing might have changed the numbers up very slightly, but it doesn't really change the initial point I was trying to make...that we have a young squad that we actually give first team minutes to, and that our academy continues to produce good players under Ole's guidance...it's in Uniteds dna and long may it continue.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Now that I think about it, the Cavani signing might have changed the numbers up very slightly, but it doesn't really change the initial point I was trying to make...that we have a young squad that we actually give first team minutes to, and that our academy continues to produce good players under Ole's guidance...it's in Uniteds dna and long may it continue.
Don’t give me that rubbish, why does he still pick the likes of Mattic, Mata, and why sign Cavani?
He hasn’t a clue how to get the best out of this squad and never will.
I see Spurs are struggling to appoint a manager, you never know they might try and lure dear Olle, I mean he’s such a great manager I’m surprised a big club hasn’t made a move for him.

Don’t give me that rubbish, why does he still pick the likes of Mattic, Mata, and why sign Cavani?
I see Spurs are struggling to appoint a manager, you never know they might try and lure dear Olle, I mean he’s such a great manager I’m surprised a big club hasn’t made a move for him.
Same reason as every other manager. You use what you have and try to blend youth and experience. Mata is a complete professional and a very good role model for the younger players. Cavani was signed to score goals, and again be a role model to the younger forwards

As i've repeated multiple times, no matter what is said, Ole has done the job he was originally hired for. There's just no escaping that really.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
As i've repeated multiple times, no matter what is said, Ole has done the job he was originally hired for. There's just no escaping that really.
And many fans are not happy with that.
Are you happy with mediocrity?

And many fans wouldn't be happy no matter what.

If finishing second with the second highest win count, lost the same amount of league games as the league winners, second highest goals etc, is "mediocrity" then i'd take that over what 99.98% of the rest of the football clubs managed really.

Would I like Man Utd to win 10-nil every game and win every trophy possible. Of course, but Ole was never brought in to do that.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
And many fans wouldn't be happy no matter what.

If finishing second with the second highest win count, lost the same amount of league games as the league winners, second highest goals etc, is "mediocrity" then i'd take that over what 99.98% of the rest of the football clubs managed really.

Would I like Man Utd to win 10-nil every game and win every trophy possible. Of course, but Ole was never brought in to do that.
Now thats just been a bit silly, you know what I mean. A trophy or two wouldn’t go amiss but with this clown in charge you can kiss goodbye to that.

I'm not giving you anything...Cavani has justified his signing with his performances, and both Mata and Matic have been used very sparingly by OLE...it's called managing the team.

OLE hasn't been approached because he already manages this country's biggest club. Besides, moving from Woodward's United to Levy's Spurs would be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

If you want to know what mediocrity looks and feels like, I suggest you revisit this threads pages from 700 or so. It's instructive to say the least.

Some of us appear to have forgotten just how bad it felt under Butthead (LvG) and - one season aside - Jose. The football we play now is vastly more watchable and with some specific re-inforcements to the squad (primarily a CB who is mobile and not injury prone, a midfielder or two to replace Matic and Mata and give McT and Fred some competition) it'll get better.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
If you want to know what mediocrity looks and feels like, I suggest you revisit this threads pages from 700 or so. It's instructive to say the least.

Some of us appear to have forgotten just how bad it felt under Butthead (LvG) and - one season aside - Jose. The football we play now is vastly more watchable and with some specific re-inforcements to the squad (primarily a CB who is mobile and not injury prone, a midfielder or two to replace Matic and Mata and give McT and Fred some competition) it'll get better.
Well take Fred for instance, I wish some fecker would. All I hear is Utd and Olle wanting Sancho who from what I’ve heard isn’t that great when he puts on an England shirt, will he play this evening? Wasn’t even on the bench for the first game.
So Olle is drawn to this City reject who looks great in Germany playing under a decent manager who has Halaand to boost his assist figures when what we really need is a decent midfielder to replace Fred who at times can’t trap a bag of cement, and a centre half, I’d settle for getting that sorted this close season but I won’t hold my breath.

Now thats just been a bit silly, you know what I mean. A trophy or two wouldn’t go amiss but with this clown in charge you can kiss goodbye to that.

But you already admitted in an earlier post that nothing would make you support Ole as our manager, so why would winning a trophy change that in your mind? You're just doubling down on your entrenched position and refusing to see any improvement, even when it's staring you in the face.

Of course Ole is not perfect, but he's done a decent job in steadying the ship and getting us back on our feet, but even that you can't give him credit for.