Manchester United FC

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Sounds like Woodward and Olly are getting the excuses out early for yet another embarrassing transfer window.

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has cautioned over the amount of money the club will have to spend during the summer as the Old Trafford outfit prepare to announce their latest round of financial results. (Times - subscription required)

Maybe if Woodward didn’t give money away like confetti the club would be in a better position.
Take De Gea for instance £375k a week, that is fecking absurd and that is probably why Solskjaer is reluctant to drop him because no fecker will buy a keeper past his best who will demand that wage, drop him and we will never get rid, just look at Jones, a long term injury (thank gawd) but hell knows how much he is on and of course there are more players just like this on fat contracts just going through the motions that Utd are stuck with.
Olly buying players he has no use for, Donny for instance, what was that signing for?
Oh look we splashed nearly £50million but hell we won’t play him.
SoI think we can all stop dreaming of having Halaand at Utd, oh wages will be no problem it’s negotiating a price that’s the sticking point.
If Utd are using this years figures as an excuse with the vaccine programme having great results and the end of Covid lockdowns in sight then it’s a lame excuse, we will have a full house for every home game next season guaranteed.
Edited Utd have to borrow, yeh to pay wages no doubt.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t think we will finish there but time will tell.
Last nights match was the sought of fixture Utd should be winning at a canter, instead Henderson ended up saving us a point near the end.
Indeed last night's match was the sort
of fixture you should have won like 7:0 maybe... :applaud:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed last night's match was the sort
of fixture you should have won like 7:0 maybe... :applaud:
Oh that‘s good and I did offer my congratulations on the Liverpool thread after that match.
Maybe not seven nil but Palace have taken 4 points from the two fixtures against Utd. That in itself is not good enough and as @Fiona_TG states their is no clear plan as to how to improve, don’t forget last night Palace had their star player Saha missing. Why Solskjaer didn’t play James or even bring him on at halftime I don’t know, remember the Chelsea manager who went on to win the PL with Leicester?
He was nick named the tinker man, has Olly actually picked the same team for a decent run this season? I don’t know but I’m pretty sure he hasn’t and performances last night should signal another nail in his coffin, well that’s a bit stiff maybe signal the printer warming up for his P45.

Oh that‘s good and I did offer my congratulations on the Liverpool thread after that match.
Maybe not seven nil but Palace have taken 4 points from the two fixtures against Utd. That in itself is not good enough and as @Fiona_TG states their is no clear plan as to how to improve, don’t forget last night Palace had their star player Saha missing. Why Solskjaer didn’t play James or even bring him on at halftime I don’t know, remember the Chelsea manager who went on to win the PL with Leicester?
He was nick named the tinker man, has Olly actually picked the same team for a decent run this season? I don’t know but I’m pretty sure he hasn’t and performances last night should signal another nail in his coffin, well that’s a bit stiff maybe signal the printer warming up for his P45.
Sought versus sort was my main point. The grammar nazi in me kicked in I'm afraid.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Sought versus sort was my main point. The grammar nazi in me kicked in I'm afraid.
Well nothing surprises me when it comes to my appalling Ingerlish.
Thats why I joined the guards and not the intelligence corps.
Mind you I probably had more fun in the guards than I would have in that mob.

From OGS after last night's match "Of course it's a concern. When you have three clean sheets in a row, that will help you win games but we haven't produced the quality. We just have to find a spark again, the quality again and try and wins the games". I've always said that any manager needs to have a convincing plan and that he explains it to others.

We now see his plan in the second sentence of that statement, I'm not sure it is convincing though.
He can't have a plan for when poor individual performances cause the result.

Last night was all about lack of tempo and individual sloppiness. OGS said it before and after the game, Coley said it, Nev said it. No amount of tactical nouse will fix that, it's a lack of courage (or ability) in the players.

Short of having a Keano on the pitch physically threatening those who aren't doing as they're told, what do you do? Hook 'em? To be replaced with who?

Rashford and Greenwood played so deep last night, Bruno and Cavani were isolated on their own and ended up running into the ground to try and compensate. Why so deep? Probably because the ball isn't getting to them quickly enough. Why is that? Because McGuire and Matic in particular are not comfortable enough on the ball to move it forward quickly and end up slowing everything down. Look at Matic' bodyshape when he receives the ball - he's invariably facing infield and is so one-footed, all that's required is to block off the immediate forward aspect and the ball has to come inside and usually back - usually to McGuire, who is similarly slow to move the ball.

While that slow deliberate receive, control, look up, touch again, look up again is going on, the oppo are funnelling back and any space for the forwards to work in is gone. The result is they end up coming back looking for space and then have to start from further back, which means they have to try and beat more men, which means more chance of losing the ball or running up blind alleys.

Contrast Fred with Matic and McGuire - he takes the ball in (mostly) one touch and is comfortable passing with either foot and does it quickly. So does McT - and actually so did Lingard as he's now showing at the hammers. I lost count of the number of times last night that an obvious quick pass was missed because it was on the "wrong" foot for the player. It's always little things like not passing the ball into the players stride, but straight at, or slightly behind them which just kills tempo. Sends me properly tonto - even I learned to use my left foot and now it's possibly my preferred one.

Could OGS have changed things last night? He probably hooked the wrong midfielder too late, but replacing the other poor performers (Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani and Bruno) was a big ask with whats on the bench. I might have hooked Rashy and Mase for Amad and DJ, but hard to see any other options.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
But they played like that from the word go.
A G Neville said early in the second half ”what has Olly said at half time?”
He failed to change the play he failed to to tell the forwards to buck up and play further forward, he failed to introduce James till the 70plus minute, not once when the cameras were on Olly did you see him bellowing at the players giving them instructions.
I‘m not excepting that it’s all down to the players, a lot of it is down to the manager/coach.

He can't have a plan for when poor individual performances cause the result.

Last night was all about lack of tempo and individual sloppiness. OGS said it before and after the game, Coley said it, Nev said it. No amount of tactical nouse will fix that, it's a lack of courage (or ability) in the players.

Short of having a Keano on the pitch physically threatening those who aren't doing as they're told, what do you do? Hook 'em? To be replaced with who?

Rashford and Greenwood played so deep last night, Bruno and Cavani were isolated on their own and ended up running into the ground to try and compensate. Why so deep? Probably because the ball isn't getting to them quickly enough. Why is that? Because McGuire and Matic in particular are not comfortable enough on the ball to move it forward quickly and end up slowing everything down. Look at Matic' bodyshape when he receives the ball - he's invariably facing infield and is so one-footed, all that's required is to block off the immediate forward aspect and the ball has to come inside and usually back - usually to McGuire, who is similarly slow to move the ball.

While that slow deliberate receive, control, look up, touch again, look up again is going on, the oppo are funnelling back and any space for the forwards to work in is gone. The result is they end up coming back looking for space and then have to start from further back, which means they have to try and beat more men, which means more chance of losing the ball or running up blind alleys.

Contrast Fred with Matic and McGuire - he takes the ball in (mostly) one touch and is comfortable passing with either foot and does it quickly. So does McT - and actually so did Lingard as he's now showing at the hammers. I lost count of the number of times last night that an obvious quick pass was missed because it was on the "wrong" foot for the player. It's always little things like not passing the ball into the players stride, but straight at, or slightly behind them which just kills tempo. Sends me properly tonto - even I learned to use my left foot and now it's possibly my preferred one.

Could OGS have changed things last night? He probably hooked the wrong midfielder too late, but replacing the other poor performers (Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani and Bruno) was a big ask with whats on the bench. I might have hooked Rashy and Mase for Amad and DJ, but hard to see any other options.

Well one thing is for certain, doing nothing isn't an option.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps OGS has a plan, a very cunning plan.
It’s not quite as cunning as Klipperty’s plan, another defeat at home for the scousers and Klipperty looked very sad near the end.
Chelsea up to 4th and scousers down to 7th.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Match stats, report and player ratings for last night, none of it makes comforting reading.

I think these lack of goals high light how over rated the likes of Rashford and Mason are. Just because they are home grown doesn’t give them the right to play for our club.
The more I see of Rashford the more I question his attitude, during the Palace match Slab Head shouted at Rashford to and I quote “Fx%#king stay on side” after he passed the ball only for Rashford to to turn round and have a go back. Now slab head is the captain and he has a point. I mentioned after another match how many times Rashford had been caught dozing in a offside position, to lazy to watch the opposition to lazy to adjust his position and when he has a goal scoring opportunity he is so casual he misses a very high percentage of those chances, also the amount of times he loses the ball by blindly running at the opposition instead of playing a pass, no I’m 100% sure he wouldn’t have lasted this long under Fergie, as for Mason, hmm, not convinced, just not convinced at all.
Would Rashford have spoken back against Keane? Well he might have but it would be the last bloody time but then again he wouldn’t have been given this time in the team.
Take 7 goals away from our total in the PL as 9 were scored against a Southampton reserve team and our lack of goals just high lights how poor we are up front.

Those statistics and performances show just how poor the PL is this season and Utd are very much in a false position, I will say it again.
WE WILL NOT FINISH IN THE TOP FOUR!

I think these lack of goals high light how over rated the likes of Rashford and Mason are. Just because they are home grown doesn’t give them the right to play for our club.
The more I see of Rashford the more I question his attitude, during the Palace match Slab Head shouted at Rashford to and I quote “Fx%#king stay on side” after he passed the ball only for Rashford to to turn round and have a go back. Now slab head is the captain and he has a point. I mentioned after another match how many times Rashford had been caught dozing in a offside position, to lazy to watch the opposition to lazy to adjust his position and when he has a goal scoring opportunity he is so casual he misses a very high percentage of those chances, also the amount of times he loses the ball by blindly running at the opposition instead of playing a pass, no I’m 100% sure he wouldn’t have lasted this long under Fergie, as for Mason, hmm, not convinced, just not convinced at all.
Would Rashford have spoken back against Keane? Well he might have but it would be the last bloody time but then again he wouldn’t have been given this time in the team.
Take 7 goals away from our total in the PL as 9 were scored against a Southampton reserve team and our lack of goals just high lights how poor we are up front.

Those statistics and performances show just how poor the PL is this season and Utd are very much in a false position, I will say it again.
WE WILL NOT FINISH IN THE TOP FOUR!

Just a thought, but early in the season it was leaking goals that was Utd failing. Now they seem to have got that managed a bit better but scoring has become the problem. Perhaps we will see on Sunday if Utd. can manage defensively against an in form team. I don't hold out much hope of scoring so will stick with my 0-0 prediction from a few days ago, it is ambitious I know but I am hoping.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just a thought, but early in the season it was leaking goals that was Utd failing. Now they seem to have got that managed a bit better but scoring has become the problem. Perhaps we will see on Sunday if Utd. can manage defensively against an in form team. I don't hold out much hope of scoring so will stick with my 0-0 prediction from a few days ago, it is ambitious I know but I am hoping.
I read in the MEN that Henderson is due a run of games due to De Geas personal problems. I hope he doesn’t let me down and plays a blinder on Sunday keeping a clean sheet but I fear a loss, City just playing and winning for the fun of it.

I read in the MEN that Henderson is due a run of games due to De Geas personal problems. I hope he doesn’t let me down and plays a blinder on Sunday keeping a clean sheet but I fear a loss, City just playing and winning for the fun of it.

I can only hope the idea of a derby game means as much to the players as it does to the fans. If so then Utd. might have a chance.

If the birth of your first child counts as personal problems, then yes.........

Hendo will be fine. As would our PotS for most of the last eight seasons. Hope he enjoys the first few days with his nipper.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I can only hope the idea of a derby game means as much to the players as it does to the fans. If so then Utd. might have a chance.
An update looks like De Gea has taken paternity leave, that’s nice £375,000 a week and he can’t plan a child for the close season.*

*Only joking:slow:, I hope he has a long break and enjoys the sun, our NHS obviously not good enough for her.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn’t know know to whether to laugh or cry at this headline, the first sentence made me laugh though as I have failed to see any of it recently.

Latest Threads