Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manchester United FC

And when we were at our peak Europe had a stupid rule that stipulated we couldn’t play our first team, so players like Giggs and Keane, Irwin etc were classed as foreigners. If Utd could have played their first team in Europe we would have had a much bigger haul.
Everton would have had a great chance as well with the team they had but it not for that ban.
Anyhow how’s the defence of the PL title going? Not as easy to stay top is it, might be another thirty years before you get your hands on it again.

And if my Aunt had balls, she would be my uncle ^~

Well the camera showed him a few times, and he was not jumping up and down waving his arms around shouting and generally behaving like a lunatic like he normally does.
He was just stood there or sat there, very quiet, in fact I have noticed his demeanour has been very quiet recently compared to his normal antics.

Better a bit of passion from the manager than an OGS cabbage.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
And when we were at our peak Europe had a stupid rule that stipulated we couldn’t play our first team, so players like Giggs and Keane, Irwin etc were classed as foreigners. If Utd could have played their first team in Europe we would have had a much bigger haul.
Everton would have had a great chance as well with the team they had but it not for that ban.
Anyhow how’s the defence of the PL title going? Not as easy to stay top is it, might be another thirty years before you get your hands on it again.
When was that?

Strikes me as odd to whinge about an opposition manager's actions during a match. Especially after the past three years they have had. Sounds a lot like the jealousy that others had when they schimpfed about Fergie for years.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
When was that?
When we were at our peak in the 2000’s some rule Euafa brought in about playing so many foreign players and because Giggs is Welsh he was classed as foreign.
Look it up.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Strikes me as odd to whinge about an opposition manager's actions during a match. Especially after the past three years they have had. Sounds a lot like the jealousy that others had when they schimpfed about Fergie for years.
Whose whinging? Just pointing out what Klopp is saying that is all and how he acts.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I see the bitters are losing 1-0 at Cheltenham. Pity the goal wasn’t scored in the 90th minute.
25 minutes left, can Cheltenham do what Utd couldn’t, knock city out of a cup?

I see the bitters are losing 1-0 at Cheltenham. Pity the goal wasn’t scored in the 90th minute.
25 minutes left, can Cheltenham do what Utd couldn’t, knock city out of a cup?
I must admit.. But.

I jumped shouted "Get in you ******* beauty" ans spilled a bit of Theakstons Old Peculiar... Dog liked it though, the ******* alkie.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Well that’s a shame.

I may have done a bit of casual banter on the thieving, pikey oirish, giro cashing, wheel hub stealing, shell suit wearing, elements of of the forum.
Good to see your mid season modicum of success hasn't dulled your dazzling repartee and rapier like wit.

When we were at our peak in the 2000’s some rule Euafa brought in about playing so many foreign players and because Giggs is Welsh he was classed as foreign.
Look it up.
I did but couldn't find it. Hence why I asked.

Edit to add: Only ones I can find where in the early 90's three plus two rule that changed by the Bosman ruling, and the 2006 introduction of Homegrown player rule, which didn't stop us reaching two finals and winning one with more foreign players than English. Neither of which would've stopped Giggs playing due to him coming through the youth system.

So which one were you referring to?

Last edited:
Look it up.
Not quite. That rule applied to the 93-96 side, Sparky, Cantona, Choccy, Schmeichel, Irwin et al. That's one reason that team never really did it in the Champions League. Fergie always ended up having to leave first picks out.

IIRC the Bosman ruling ended it.

Not quite. That rule applied to the 93-96 side, Sparky, Cantona, Choccy, Schmeichel, Irwin et al. That's one reason that team never really did it in the Champions League. Fergie always ended up having to leave first picks out.

One that sticks in my mind was the Barcelona 4-0 loss without Schmeichel. Do you by chance remember the name of the keeper who was in goal for us in that game?

Wasn't it Loony Les Sealey? Or had Rai joined by then?

ETA : After Les came Gary Walsh before he went to Boro. Then came RvdG.

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

My memory for dates is getting worse, cheers.

Latest Threads