Manchester United FC

i would have been tempted to yank Young off, swap Dalot into RB

Going into the last ten just 0-1 down isn’t a bad effort at all. If it finishes like that then it’s all to play for in the second leg. And if Rashford gets his shooting boots on, who knows what might happen?

That was a much better performance than last time out.

Young was again the weakest link with a total inability to cross, yet he was the "go to" option every time when Shaw and Dalot were a lot more dangerous. Rashford was misfiring badly and should have passed on the free kick duty. Pogba had a quiet game for me, not bad but not great. Lukaku seemed to be good at holding up, but not much else. Martial had one decent run and that was that.

Fred and Mctominay for me were the class of the side with Lindelof performing a lot better.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Pleasantly surprised that it ended 0-1 although if Rashford calmed down a bit we may have actually scored. Just goes to show how unpredictable football is.

That's not a bad result when you consider the starting eleven. Fred and McTominay both had great games in the heart of that midfield, and it bodes well for a future combo...That was the most pleasing aspect for me, and might well save us a shitload of money to replace Matic and Herrera?

De Gea had some good saves today, but wasn't the dominating presence we used to have.

Dalot - 6 , Seemed a bit stifled but he's not fully up to speed with playing right/left back yet. Needs some time (like Lindelof) to steady himself.
Jones - 5. Typical Jones performance, sometimes amazing, sometimes woeful
Smalling - 6. Same as above really, he was good, but once VAR comes in, he is going to give away a LOT of penalties through holding
Rojo - 4 . One decent strike and that was it. At times the rust was very evident.
Lingard - 3 - Virtually anonymous
Martial 5 - A couple of good runs, but that's about it. Not showing the form we're paying him for,
Pogba - 6 - Penalties are MUCH improved without the run up nonsense, a couple of good passes but that was it
Mata - 4 - I like Mata a lot, but he was poor tonight
Lukaku 5 - Makes a better winger at times than either of the two actual wingers. Still a poor first touch and falls over too easily for such a big bastard.

Greenwood and PEreira were subbed too late for my mind, Rashford deserves an 8-9 for the impact he made.

Overall it was a poor showing. We were incredibly lucky with poor ref decisions over the off-side and first penalty. The second was a genuine and we were so lucky to win it. I'll take the points, but the performance was off. Again, it seems that we put in players Like Jones, Rojo, Mata and Martial that haven't played full games for a while and we struggle.

I can't wait for the end of the season, dump some of the dead wood, take time over selecting a real captain and bolster our defence which is the cause of a lot of our problems.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
You’ve five games to play. Do you think you will be playing CL football next season? You have a harder run in than Chelsea and Arsenal.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
You’ve five games to play. Do you think you will be playing CL football next season? You have a harder run in than Chelsea and Arsenal.
No chance. As you said the fixtures we have remaining are difficult. Saying that Chelsea were pretty poor yesterday, if it wasn’t for Hazard they wouldn’t have been it and 2-0 was a fair result.
A shame we won’t qualify as it might affect who we can buy but to be honest we need to get rid of players as much as we need to sign them.

No chance. As you said the fixtures we have remaining are difficult. Saying that Chelsea were pretty poor yesterday, if it wasn’t for Hazard they wouldn’t have been it and 2-0 was a fair result.
A shame we won’t qualify as it might affect who we can buy but to be honest we need to get rid of players as much as we need to sign them.
I’m surprised by your defeatist attitude, you have the players and with OSG the right attitude to drag yourself into contention. I think you can beat Barca, Chelsea is yours to lose and Man Shitty could go either way.

That said Arsenal have the easiest run in and it’s all in their hands. You’ll be hoping for a Watford win tonight.

Just to add to the LFC "crossover" posts -

I'm always intrigued at the media / fans thoughts on games like Utd & City and the potential impact of a win, draw or loss. There's comments aplenty that, while Utd would love bragging rights by beating City, they'd rather lose the game than have Liverpool win the league.
I think people lose sight of the fact that, while in the main they can be a bunch of overpaid prima donnas, footballers are driven professionals who love the game and hate to lose. I honestly think that come the 24th, Utd will do their damnedest to win.