Manchester United FC

My feelings on profiteers running football clubs are well known, I won't bore you all again.

The very act of saddling clubs with debt to improve the bottom line of the owner makes my teeth itch.

It amazes me why anyone would imagine that all clubs aren't run for profit, unless they are sugar daddy owned. The fact that there are very few who make real money via there own brand, should indicate how financially weak the others are. The Prem is probably the most over hyped league in world football, which leads to huge money spinning opportunities for those who play in it via the sharing of profits. Yet that is reported as a great thing and isn't brought into question, or used as a stick to beat them with by our media whose very existence depends on it...As a club, and because our brand is so massive, we appear to be held to a totally different standard.

It amazes me why anyone would imagine that all clubs aren't run for profit, unless they are sugar daddy owned. The fact that there are very few who make real money via there own brand, should indicate how financially weak the others are. The Prem is probably the most over hyped league in world football, which leads to huge money spinning opportunities for those who play in it via the sharing of profits. Yet that is reported as a great thing and isn't brought into question, or used as a stick to beat them with by our media whose very existence depends on it...As a club, and because our brand is so massive, we appear to be held to a totally different standard.
Not by me. I think it's all wrong. If the money is that good (and believe me, I know it is) then they should be run as not for profit. By all means pay the mental wages, make the big bucks, then plough what profit there is back into the club, the community, the cities they represent.

Imagine the good that could be done in Salford with the profits you make! Anyway, it'll never happen, but please don't think I was holding your club to a different standard, I want them all to be held to a different standard!

Not by me. I think it's all wrong. If the money is that good (and believe me, I know it is) then they should be run as not for profit. By all means pay the mental wages, make the big bucks, then plough what profit there is back into the club, the community, the cities they represent.

Imagine the good that could be done in Salford with the profits you make! Anyway, it'll never happen, but please don't think I was holding your club to a different standard, I want them all to be held to a different standard!

I never said you, i said the media. And i never meant that our Prem isn't awash with money, it is. But that wealth for the vast majority of clubs, is dependent on being in the prem. If they're not in it, they would be strugggling. Money from membership keeps them afloat and viable. We on the other hand, have long established links and ties to brands that bring in tens of millions to the club every season. We could potentially forego the loss of that revenue and survive very comfortably. Of course it would affect our ability to buy, but it wouldn't be existensial, for us. Yet the press backlash is always to spin this as a negative aspect where we've lost our soul to greed. It's typically hypocritical that those same papers refuse to use that same criteria as an example of how a club should be run, while ignoring the fact that other clubs do exactly the same? We simply do it bigger and better, because we have to.

Unfortunately, the notion of clubs giving back to the community, whilst very admirable and one i agree with wholeheartedly, is never going to happen nowadays. Gone is the time when fans were the mainstay of any club, when their support ensured a clubs very existence. Today the fans wants and needs come very low on the biggest clubs priorities list. It's not right, but unless fans from all clubs are prepared to protest this fact, nothing will change! There is no pressure exerted by the FA either, because they don't want to risk damaging their multi billion pound product...We've discussed this very subject before, and wil no doubt come back to it again, as nothing will change!

have been up north this weekend and as soon as I got out of the borough of Chorley, everyone now seems to be speaking with a scouse accent (don't remember rufford and other nearby towns being like that when I use to live up here)

wonder if it's a temporary thing for the weekend. They might return to normal as early as 2300hrs if the final goes the way I thinking it well

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
we get a lot of crap for jose, but at least he hasn't lost 6 finals in a row, thinks karius and migs are good enough to win silverware and that other thing, he has actually added to the trophy cabinet

edit - I wonder if the Liverpool supporters on this united thread would swap klopp for 3 trophies right now?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
we get a lot of crap for jose, but at least he hasn't lost 6 finals in a row, thinks karius and migs are good enough to win silverware and that other thing, he has actually added to the trophy cabinet

edit - I wonder if the Liverpool supporters on this united thread would swap klopp for 3 trophies right now?

Tonight's match reminded me of a play, now what was it's name? It's an old classic written by the old bard himself William Shakespeare, A Comedy of Errors. Laugh, I've not laughed so much during a football match since Terry slipped on his arse, but to laugh twice, feck I'll have to go to A and E, I think I've cracked a rib!

klopp does certainly play entertaining football. his goalkeeper selections are hilarious, as are his bridesmaids performances

Tonight's match reminded me of a play, now what was it's name? It's an old classic written by the old bard himself William Shakespeare, A Comedy of Errors. Laugh, I've not laughed so much during a football match since Terry slipped on his arse, but to laugh twice, feck I'll have to go to A and E, I think I've cracked a rib!

klopp does certainly play entertaining football. his goalkeeper selections are hilarious, as are his bridesmaids performances
Yeah, much more impressive to fizzle out in the last 16

No shame in losing to the team that have won it 4 years out of 5. We can't begin to compete financially, but at least we got there. And we don't bore our own fans to death either

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

No shame in losing to the team that have won it 4 years out of 5. We can't begin to compete financially, but at least we got there. And we don't bore our own fans to death either

you did well getting that far and even if Liverpool played better (hard effort, but ineffective bar 15mins), I doubt any prem team would have beat madrid tonight. once they got going, they showed tonight that they are on completely a different level (beating juve, bayern and psg is proof of their class). However, at some point you need to start winning trophies, it's 3 seasons and nothing under klopp and approx 10 for your club - surely that can't be acceptable and allowed to continue.

I'm dispointted with jose for the 2nd half of this season. for some reason he 'abandoned' (intentionally or due to a failure to lead the players), the very good and effective football we started off with, while he threw away our chances in 3/4 competions (I'll give him a pass on the FA Cup), due the performances of his team.

he's got one more season to prove himself (prem or the CL - although some leeway if we win other cups and narrowly miss out) or he should leave. wherer would your 'red line' be for klopp?

you did well getting that far and even if Liverpool played better (hard effort, but ineffective bar 15mins), I doubt any prem team would have beat madrid tonight. once they got going, they showed tonight that they are on completely a different level (beating juve, bayern and psg is proof of their class). However, at some point you need to start winning trophies, it's 3 seasons and nothing under klopp and approx 10 for your club - surely that can't be acceptable and allowed to continue.

I'm dispointted with jose for the 2nd half of this season. for some reason he 'abandoned' (intentionally or due to a failure to lead the players), the very good and effective football we started off with, while he threw away our chances in 3/4 competions (I'll give him a pass on the FA Cup), due the performances of his team.

he's got one more season to prove himself (prem or the CL - although some leeway if we win other cups and narrowly miss out) or he should leave. wherer would your 'red line' be for klopp?

I genuinely think Klopp unites the team and players want to come to Liverpool, to play for Jurgen. You think the only acceptable measure is trophies, which is fine for the richest clubs who can just spunk cash up the wall. What I like about jurgen is that he seems to get the best out of his available players, and develop them to higher levels.

So he gets the best out of our personnel. Some are great, some are less good (Karius) ... But he takes them to high levels, sometimes far above expectations (Salah, Robertson).

Red line? I like his ethos, his man management and his style of football. Players love him. He can stay as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned. Everybody wants to win every year, which would be fine if other teams cooperated. We can't always get what we want, but we're in a good place, sounds foundation and going in a good direction.

Wish we'd won tonight obviously, but I'm still very happy with our progress this season. 8 years ago we were on the verge of bankruptcy. Tonight we were back in the Champions league final, having spanked some major teams on the way.

Looking forward to next season already

I genuinely think Klopp unites the team and players want to come to Liverpool, to play for Jurgen. You think the only acceptable measure is trophies, which is fine for the richest clubs who can just spunk cash up the wall. What I like about jurgen is that he seems to get the best out of his available players, and develop them to higher levels.

So he gets the best out of our personnel. Some are great, some are less good (Karius) ... But he takes them to high levels, sometimes far above expectations (Salah, Robertson).

Red line? I like his ethos, his man management and his style of football. Players love him. He can stay as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned. Everybody wants to win every year, which would be fine if other teams cooperated. We can't always get what we want, but we're in a good place, sounds foundation and going in a good direction.

Wish we'd won tonight obviously, but I'm still very happy with our progress this season. 8 years ago we were on the verge of bankruptcy. Tonight we were back in the Champions league final, having spanked some major teams on the way.

Looking forward to next season already

I'll give him credit for getting the best out of some players - salah, ox, Firminio and Robertson are the best examples of players who have kicked on under him.

he deserves a lot of flack for persisting with certain players though. took him 1.25 season for the penny to drop on Moreno, while his persistence with a error prone keeper like karius (and migs before him), has been clearly proven to be foolish.

he has made Liverpool perform beyond the sum of their parts, but i believe a trend is showing that it costs them late in some games and in fatigue at the end of the season. after 15mins tonight, liverpool seemed to voluntary abandoned the press (came back for 10mins after the mane goal) and I wonder if that is due to accumulated fatigue?

as for United, I'm looking forward to a clear out. there players that should have never been bought in the first place

he has made Liverpool perform beyond the sum of their parts, but i believe a trend is showing that it costs them late in some games and in fatigue at the end of the season. after 15mins tonight, liverpool seemed to voluntary abandoned the press (came back for 10mins after the mane goal) and I wonder if that is due to accumulated fatigue
I take it you don't watch us very much? the team press in concerted bursts, not consistently throughout the whole 90 minutes - nobody could keep that up. sometimes we sit back and let them knock it around, and then the signal is given and bang - they're on it like a tramp on chips, swarming around and pressing. people only tend to talk about the pressing, turnovers and goals - but we don't do that the whole match.

tonight could be a good omem for united. the last two times that klopp lost in a final, united went on to win the trophies the next season!

we might have to try and score though :-(

he has made Liverpool perform beyond the sum of their parts, but i believe a trend is showing that it costs them late in some games and in fatigue at the end of the season. after 15mins tonight, liverpool seemed to voluntary abandoned the press (came back for 10mins after the mane goal) and I wonder if that is due to accumulated fatigue
I take it you don't watch us very much? the team press in concerted bursts, not consistently throughout the whole 90 minutes - nobody could keep that up. sometimes we sit back and let them knock it around, and then the signal is given and bang - they're on it like a tramp on chips, swarming around and pressing. people only tend to talk about the pressing, turnovers and goals - but we don't do that the whole match.
most games I've watched Liverpool in, they seem to keep up the press for longer and do it more often in the game. klopp reverted to park the bus and long ball tactics very quickly

[QUOTE="Tibbins, post: 8587210, member: 81584"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Not me

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Let's face it, after all the hullabaloo Liverpool over achieved by getting to the final. Their domestic form proves that!
Now we can look forward to the World Cup , I'll have to put up with two weeks of grunting aka Wimbledon and then before we know it the 2018/2019 season will be on us.
Like Tibbs I'm hoping for a major clear out of players who should not be any where near OT, just as much as a few new faces joining.
I'd like to see at least one very good central defender and a right back, maybe even a left back as well. That along with Fred and who knows Bale? I'm not mentioning Bales name on last nights performance alone, I know he's picked up an injury or two but he still looks pretty good when he is on the pitch and I'm sure he wants more game time, something Utd could definately offer and could do with.
If Utd could play with a bit more pace, have a player in the middle who can deliver a killer ball then I'll be a lot more confident that we could pressure City a bit and improve in Europe next season. A bit of money involved but we could raise a bit by a bloody good clear out.