Manchester United FC

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh come on, how many more years are we going to hear "just another 4 or 5 players" being the "last pieces in the jigsaw" for United :)

You've got a net spend of something like £415m over the past four seasons, and Mourinho has brought in a lot of signings. He can't go on blaming Van Gaal / Moyes / Fergie / the fans / the whatever indefinitely - surely you lot will see through it at some point. He blames players for not having the necessary character - players he signed himself, occasionally at record expense.

It seems like the only players Mourinho actually rates are Matic and Lukaku - and even then, he has done his best to alienate Lukaku this weekend, after lauding him for 8 months.

I believe, and have said for the last couple of years, that Mourinho is not aligned with your club's preferred playing style. He is renowned as a defensive guru, who doesn't devote much time to attack. Your club historically like to play swashbuckling, attacking, entertaining football. Mourinho has won many titles in his earlier years - but it seems blindingly obvious that he is fundamentally incompatible with the club's playing style / DNA (if there is such a thing).

Doesn't it seem clear that the chances of him repeating his previous successes are far slimmer when there is an inherent conflict at the heart of everything? He'd be perfectly-suited to a club that doesn't have certain expectations about playing style, or would be grateful for points over everything else - even soporific football and dire playing style.

I think you'd be better off hiring one of your old boys (Scholes?), who at least understand what United are supposed to be about - managerial experience or not. I think you'd probably accept 4th (no lower) if it was accompanied with exciting football that had you itching to turn up every week... rather than (as a couple of United-supporting friends have admitted) not even bothering to turn up, or expecting to come away from a match unsatisfied and a bit resentful. There's no doubt that you've got a lot of talented players, but they either don't want to play for Mourinho, or he has them all so on-edge and demotivated that... I don't know. I just get the feeling that Mourinho works on control and detail, with little regard for motivation or team spirit. It will get you so far, or work with certain groups of players... but it clearly isn't working for your team, and he isn't going to change.
If he doesn't change and we finish in a similar position playing the same style then there will be serious questions to answer, I think he will have two more seasons to win the league and if things have not improved then he will be off and it won't be his desicion.
The trouble with Utd is that even if the players turn up and play fecking tiddlywinks 75,000 will still turn up the next week, Utd supporters don't vote with their feet but the board won't like it see LVG and he won the cup! Remember Dave Sexton he won seven of his last seven games finishing I think in 8th I'm sure had we kept him we would have gone on and won the league, alas we will never know but in came Big Fat Ron with his flashy suits and banter and big signings, and we the supporters loved it until we yet again blew up in the league and he was off, the rest is history, but it took Fergie a few years to sort things out. The last thing I want is to see Jose been sacked before he has had a genuine chance to get the players he truly wants in and OUT! Then and only then can we truly pass judgement.

Last edited:
Sorry is that Klopp you are referring to? Look you have won nowt, as I said getting to a final means nothing if you don't win it.
Klopp and Salah have done well this year but we all know the second year for a striker who makes a big impact in his debut season is the one that really counts.
I'd keep stum until your season is over instead of having a go at team who has once again finished ahead of you, even if it was only coming 2nd a hundred miles behind city Utd still finished ahead of very one else, Jose is slowly heading in the right direction, he just needs to change the style and hopefully if he can get the right players he will, after all that was only his second season and you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear, he has inherited a lot of players coming to the end of their careers and some are not good enough, it takes a lot longer than three or four transfer windows when other clubs with similar spending power are going for the same group of available players. I think you struck lucky for one season in gettng to The Champions League Final, I just hope for your sake it's a damn site more entertaining than the FA Cup final which was bloody awful.

I wouldn't bother trying to give him any sense Gouty, he isn't remotely interested in a reasoned response!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't bother trying to give him any sense Gouty, he isn't remotely interested in a reasoned response!
Oh its only a bit of fun. i refuse to let a game called football wind me up,

famous last words.

Telegraph article about the new Arsenal manager, but makes reference to you lot (extract posted as it's behind paywall - my bold): Link

"This fixation with managers as overlords is a gross distortion - and hides much beneath the surface. The modern Manchester United, for example, cannot be understood except in relation to their rampant commercial agenda, with its 46 official sponsors and £581.2 million in revenues.

United’s whole identity, on and off the pitch, is shaped by the owners’ belief that the club are a global brand that needed proper sweating. In this scenario, the team are the tail to the kite of deal-making. Fortunes have been made available to Jose Mourinho and his predecessors, but Mourinho’s presence only confirms what the club is now about. He was employed without reference to United’s stylistic traditions. After two errors, with David Moyes and Louis van Gaal, United convinced themselves they needed a ‘winner’ of any stripe to keep their commercial ambitions afloat."

Telegraph article about the new Arsenal manager, but makes reference to you lot (extract posted as it's behind paywall - my bold): Link

"This fixation with managers as overlords is a gross distortion - and hides much beneath the surface. The modern Manchester United, for example, cannot be understood except in relation to their rampant commercial agenda, with its 46 official sponsors and £581.2 million in revenues.

United’s whole identity, on and off the pitch, is shaped by the owners’ belief that the club are a global brand that needed proper sweating. In this scenario, the team are the tail to the kite of deal-making. Fortunes have been made available to Jose Mourinho and his predecessors, but Mourinho’s presence only confirms what the club is now about. He was employed without reference to United’s stylistic traditions. After two errors, with David Moyes and Louis van Gaal, United convinced themselves they needed a ‘winner’ of any stripe to keep their commercial ambitions afloat."
Yet another dull, envious article, espousing the mantra that United are the great evil in the modern game, despite it not actually being a United article! I don't know what's more pathetic, them trying place a negative spin on our financial power by pretending to relate it to our clubs DNA for great football, or you for posting it here?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Yet another dull, envious article, espousing the mantra that United are the great evil in the modern game, despite it not actually being a United article! I don't know what's more pathetic, them trying place a negative spin on our financial power by pretending to relate it to our clubs DNA for great football, or you for posting it here?

Basically all that's been posted here is a reminder just how well the club as a whole is ran.
The biggest club stadium in the country, the largest income in world football
Oh and the largest trophy cabinet in English football.
So we haven't won the league for what five years, during that time however we have won a Europa League and a League Cup and an FA Cup. Not bad for a club in crisis.

Play the ball, not the man. What bit of the article do you challenge or disagree with?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Play the ball, not the man. What bit of the article do you challenge or disagree with?

Errr, all of it! It's an article that relates to Arsenal, not United. Yet somehow the paper tries to relate the story by dragging us into it? It really isn't journalism, just click bait, and the notion that anyone would actually pay to read such dross is simply beyond me, pay wall my arse!

As to playing the man, was it not you who absolutely felt the need to post that shite article and highlight the negative Mourinho comment within? You're never off here sniding, so are fair game...Particularly when you quote aticles from low circulation bottom feeders like the Telegraph. Like The Sun, only with pretensions of mediocrity!

Errr, all of it! It's an article that relates to Arsenal, not United. Yet somehow the paper tries to relate the story by dragging us into it? It really isn't journalism, just click bait, and the notion that anyone would actually pay to read such dross is simply beyond me, pay wall my arse!

As to playing the man, was it not you who absolutely felt the need to post that shite article and highlight the negative Mourinho comment within? You're never off here sniding, so are fair game...Particularly when you quote aticles from low circulation bottom feeders like the Telegraph. Like The Sun only with pretensions of mediocrity!
You still aren't talking about the article. What on particular do you feel is inaccurate?

To be fair to the denizens of this thread CR, we can hardly claim that our owners aren't "sweating the brand" now can we?

I agree with you about Mourinho, but the points been made and it's about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. Perhaps leave it there?

To be fair to the denizens of this thread CR, we can hardly claim that our owners aren't "sweating the brand" now can we?

I agree with you about Mourinho, but the points been made and it's about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. Perhaps leave it there?
3 put of the top 6 appear to be being run as profit machines for shareholders (Liverpool as you mention, united and arsenal). there are probably more in the premiership, but I've not looked closely enough

when you think about the principles behind FFP, then profit making does make sense and is in the best interests of a club, compared to having sugar daddy who runs out of money/ moves on (e.g. Blackburn who have struggled since jack walker died). i'd prefer a not-for profit type cooperative as you see in Europe, but then commercial activity that fuels the team.is likely to suffer.

united don't do that bad out the glazers all things considered - although I'd rather them clear the debt much quicker than there are doing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited: