Manchester United FC

Sevilla away on weds.

Don't think we used that much energy yesterday and we have a few rested players coming back.

I'd go 433 again. I've included pogba on the assumption he is fit and in the right state of mind, with matic being rested

De Gea
Young, Lidilof, Smalling, Shaw

Mctom, Carrick, Pogba

Sanchez, Lukkaku, Martial

Subs
Romero, Bailly, Valencia, Matic, Mata, Chong, Lingaard

Bench may be a little different depending on whether players are back from injury/ illness

Centreback is a bit of an issue at the moment, after some poor performances by Jones and Smalling, while Bailley and Rojo have had injury problems

Edit - Rojo is still out injured along with Jones, while I don't believe bailley is ready for a full 90mins. Smalling has to start then!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When you hear the words VAR and technology used in the same sentence, it suggests multi million pound advanced computer equipment designed to remove doubt from all decisions on the field, not some bloke just watching a TV screen 200 miles away, like you or me at home, ffs. So any decision is still reliant on the subjective view of a human, rather than the miracle of modern tech we've been promised. It also takes too long for that very reason..Emperors new clothes is all it is, until it is made fool proof then money shouldn't be wasted on it!
I'm up for VAR, but they need to change how it is applied. Here are the areas I'd look at:

Time - Well talked about, needs to be a lot slicker

Comms - In addition to the gash lines yesterday, the general complaints are that fans and players are left in the dark. Need to have something on the stadium Tv's or a 4th official holding up a board with buzzwords on what is being reviewed.

Initiation - The Mata offside goal is a classic example of the issue around initiation. Wagner, the ref and the lino were all content with the decision, but some prat hundred of miles away decided to overrule a perfectly positioned linesman and disallow a goal on inconclusive evidence (the footage was based on one, imperfect angle).

I'm broadly happy with what is in scope of VAR (goal uncertainty, red cards ect.), but the initiation needs to be cleaned up. I'd say that each manager should get 1 - 3 VAR calls, while the rest are down to the discretion of the main ref; e.g. if there was a level of doubt with mata's goal yesterday, the lino could have spoke with the ref for a VAR call.

Could still have the VAR ref offering suggestions to on-pitch ref's for certain types of incidents. E.g. off the ball incidents (spitting, assault) or diving, so they can be punished on the pitch.

Man Utd news: Marouane Fellaini agrees contract with Galatasaray | Metro News

Can't say I blame him. At galarasary he will be one of the first names on the teamsheet, while he will only ever be a bit part player for united.

He's currently injured, but I'd keep him away from the first team unless we have a selection crisis. I'm sure he is a professional, but I'd rather keep the march day squad to players who are fully committed to the club.

I'm up for VAR, but they need to change how it is applied. Here are the areas I'd look at:

Comms - In addition to the gash lines yesterday, the general complaints are that fans and players are left in the dark. Need to have something on the stadium Tv's or a 4th official holding up a board with buzzwords on what is being reviewed.

Initiation - The Mata offside goal is a classic example of the issue around initiation. Wagner, the ref and the lino were all content with the decision, but some prat hundred of miles away decided to overrule a perfectly positioned linesman and disallow a goal on inconclusive evidence (the footage was based on one, imperfect angle).

I'm broadly happy with what is in scope of VAR (goal uncertainty, red cards ect.), but the initiation needs to be cleaned up. I'd say that each manager should get 1 - 3 VAR calls, while the rest are down to the discretion of the main ref; e.g. if there was a level of doubt with mata's goal yesterday, the lino could have spoke with the ref for a VAR call.

Could still have the VAR ref offering suggestions to on-pitch ref's for certain types of incidents. E.g. off the ball incidents (spitting, assault) or diving, so they can be punished on the pitch.

I've made more than clear what my opinion of the refs in this country are, they're poor in general and way too overprotected for their ineptitude. VAR will give them even more excuses, as it will remove them from having to make any meaningful decisions whatsoever, without first referring to the invisible man hundreds of miles away.

As it stands now, the VAR is flawed for the reasons i gave earlier. But beyond that, it does not do what it says on the tin as it still relies on humans to make decisions. It's also slow, expensive and highly unlikely to be rolled out across the leagues. It doesn't even fit in with the ethos of the game here, as it also removes a referees discretion on the field, and makes a nonsense of the FA's edict about attack always getting the benefit of the doubt to improve entertainment.

Football isn't like grid iron, we don't have natural breaks in play as they do.They can make a 1 hour game last 3 hours with the various stoppages in play. Imagine the same sort of nonsense here, it would kill off the spontanaety of our game and allow unscrupulous managers to break up the flow of the game and ironically slow it down even more...So if a system isn't 100% effective and reliable, which VAR isnt, then how can we possibly trust it to do it's job?

Sadly it's here now, so we'll have to live with it and its many faults!

I've made more than clear what my opinion of the refs in this country are, they're poor in general and way too overprotected for their ineptitude. VAR will give them even more excuses, as it will remove them from having to make any meaningful decisions whatsoever, without first referring to the invisible man hundreds of miles away.

As it stands now, the VAR is flawed for the reasons i gave earlier. But beyond that, it does not do what it says on the tin as it still relies on humans to make decisions. It's also slow, expensive and highly unlikely to be rolled out across the leagues. It doesn't even fit in with the ethos of the game here, as it also removes a referees discretion on the field, and makes a nonsense of the FA's edict about attack always getting the benefit of the doubt to improve entertainment.

Football isn't like grid iron, we don't have natural breaks in play as they do.They can make a 1 hour game last 3 hours with the various stoppages in play. Imagine the same sort of nonsense here, it would kill off the spontanaety of our game and allow unscrupulous managers to break up the flow of the game and ironically slow it down even more...So if a system isn't 100% effective and reliable, which VAR isnt, then how can we possibly trust it to do it's job?

Sadly it's here now, so we'll have to live with it and its many faults!
I agree with the standard of officiating and your points on avoiding any uncessary delays to the game.

I disagree with your point on the basic fundamentals of the technology. It isn't intended to be autonomous like goalline tech and is 'assisted' only. That is unavoidable as football decision are generally not binary and require a human decision based on a number of factors - the video tech should help them systematically review those factors to get the right decision.

VAR will continue to make fallible decisions due to the human in the system, but if applied sparingly and appropriately, I'm convinced it will improve the game.

However, In its current guise they can forget it. It's application has been a shambles and a PR own goal. I know it's a pilot trial but it's application to date has been less than amateur and there seems to be little planning before the tests. That reinforces the point on how poor our officials and their organisations are in this country!

Last edited:
If I may intrude.

VAR fails because in too many cases it simply introduces another opinion which is then held to be law. You could ask the pub bore to do that job.

Limit it to matters of fact and for offside you simply go with the officiating teams call. As they cant seem to get the tech right. For me, foul no foul, inside outside the penalty area, was he the last man.

I agree with the standard of officiating and your points on avoiding any uncessary delays to the game.

I disagree with your point on the basic fundamentals of the technology. It isn't intended to be autonomous like goalline tech and is 'assisted' only. That is unavoidable as football decision are generally not binary and require a human decision based on a number of factors - the video tech should help them systematically review those factors to get the right decision.

VAR will continue to make fallible decisions due to the human in the system, but if applied sparingly and appropriately, I'm convinced it will improve the game.

However, In its current guise they can forget it. It's application has been a shambles and a PR own goal. I know it's a pilot trial but it's application to date has been less than amateur and there seems to be little planning before the tests. That reinforces the point on how poor our officials and their organisations are in this country!

Tibs, you've referred to the VAR as technology, it simply isn't. It's no no more technical than a bod sitting in a room watching a TV...You'd have to question the merits of any system that solely relies on subjective human opinion. For that very reason it's flawed, and the fact that a match officials decision can be questioned and overridden is ludicrous. Why bother with officials in the stadium, when you can have a geezer do it by proxy somewhere else?

However, i do agree that it could be useful in determining decisions on other, less subjective incidents in the game, that could have been missed at the time? But under no circumstance should VAR be allowed to arbitrarily undermine the matchday officials abilty to police the game, unless a specific review is requested by that same official first.

I see state aid city got knocked out the FA Cup by some minnows from League 1.

Ha ha ha, what an embarrassment

Classy city fans throwing objects at the police in the stadium now.

So much for a beautiful football team. You can take the scum out the cesspit and stick them in a fancy stadium paid for by the taxpayer, but you can't take the scum out of the scum

I also see Pep steeped onto the pitch after the sending off, got into.an altercation with the Wigan manager (with staff having to block pep off), before he then went into a ranting tirade at the ref.

Jose would be banned until the next decade if he did that. Wonder if the FA will take action?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Classy city fans throwing objects at the police in the stadium now.

So much for a beautiful football team. You can take the scum out the cesspit and stick them in a fancy stadium paid for by the taxpayer, but you can't take the scum out of the scum

I said I wouldn't mind Wigan away.
Now where is our resident bitter?
What a great result, didn't watch it due to the Mrs stating the obvious, "You don't support City".

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I also see Pep steeped onto the pitch after the sending off, got into.an altercation with the Wigan manager (with staff having to block pep off), before he then went into a ranting tirade at the ref.

Jose would be banned until the next decade if he did that. Wonder if the FA will take action?

As I've said before, he's a spoiled little brat who should feck off back to Spain. He has done nothing but moan and complain since he pitched up here for his latest pay cheque.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Made my night this! Clear red card, ironic after Pep going large on protecting his lot; poetic almost.
Pep kicking off against Cooke in the tunnel at half time as well as the ref.
Ageuro smacking a young Wigan lad at full time. Bet he gets let off.

Can't help but sing 'have you ever won the treble, have you fu..'

Made my night this! Clear red card, ironic after Pep going large on protecting his lot; poetic almost.

I suppose they could still do a treble of sorts, but they can't do the "Real Treble" now, which is nice, and just as it should be!!!

As I've said before, he's a spoiled little brat who should feck off back to Spain. He has done nothing but moan and complain since he pitched up here for his latest pay cheque.
You think he would be happy with the ref cutting down on bad tackles by punishing them with red cards?

Or is that only when it's his team?

I suppose they could still do a treble of sorts, but they can't do the "Real Treble" now, which is nice, and just as it should be!!!
I fancy arsenal beating them in the league cup at the weekend.

Wenger is a good domestic cup manager and city should be missing both pep and aguero for their off the ball antics tonight

I'm just glad to see the Bitter Blue scum out. Wish we had done it to them. Their pathetic fans would not dare kick up such a racket at Old Trafford.
Except they trashed the away end toilets at Old Trafford one year

Looking at the news today, there is no mention of the FA reviewing the actions of Pep during the Wigan game.

To summarise
- he came onto the field of play before the end of the 1st half
- got into a physical altercation with the opposition manager and had to be separated by staff
- ran aggresively towards the match officials in the tunnel during half time and shouted at them

I'm struggling to see why this isn't being punished?

Jose has been sent off and suspended for far less. Is it one rule for the likes of jose and Wenger, then another for newer managers to the premiership like pep and klopp?

Looking at the news today, there is no mention of the FA reviewing the actions of Pep during the Wigan game.

To summarise
- he came onto the field of play before the end of the 1st half
- got into a physical altercation with the opposition manager and had to be separated by staff
- ran aggresively towards the match officials in the tunnel during half time and shouted at them

I'm struggling to see why this isn't being punished?

Jose has been sent off and suspended for far less. Is it one rule for the likes of jose and Wenger, then another for newer managers to the premiership like pep and klopp?

There you go again, you struggle to contain yourself :)