Manchester United FC

BT have just shown Mata's offside goal again with their offside lines. Literally dead on with the defender and the goal should have stood

They also showed the VAR footage. The lines there look like they have been drawn by Micheal J Fox

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps the chap who put the lines in had a few of these before the match? I'm having this one now and it's rather refreshing.=-D

image.jpeg

I'm not TOO disappointed with the decision, but VAR needs to change to be a lot more like Rugby. Microphone the refs so we can hear what they are saying, Make the decision more open, play the video on the big screens in the stadium where available etc.

Perhaps the chap who put the lines in had a few of these before the match? I'm having this one now and it's rather refreshing.=-D

View attachment 322684
I was given a full box of SA when working for BT. Rescued the Brains website from corruption and the boss came across with a few boxes of different Brains

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not TOO disappointed with the decision, but VAR needs to change to be a lot more like Rugby. Microphone the refs so we can hear what they are saying, Make the decision more open, play the video on the big screens in the stadium where available etc.
How the feck can you be NOT dissapointed with that decision?
It was on side and the dick who drew those lines was obviously pissed or he left his ruler at home.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
BT have just shown Mata's offside goal again with their offside lines. Literally dead on with the defender and the goal should have stood

They also showed the VAR footage. The lines there look like they have been drawn by Micheal J Fox

Michael J Fox, that's just cruel.
See it's only 0-1 and Huddersfield now feel they are still in the game. So much for a stress free evening.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Pilsner Urquell for me

It be a bloody bottle from north of the border if this carries on:slow:

The terriers are really pushing their line up high. Could be perfect for angel gomes to come on.

Probably could sacrifice a midfielder for him

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
On the whole a decent game to watch. Great 2nd goal by Lukaku, Huddersfield had their moments but Utd always in control.
So whose up next? I'll take any one as long as we are at home.
Failing that Rochdale or Wigan;)

On the whole a decent game to watch. Great 2nd goal by Lukaku, Huddersfield had their moments but Utd always in control.
So whose up next? I'll take any one as long as we are at home.
Failing that Rochdale or Wigan;)
Good fa cup tie. We wern't at our best, but cruised through in 2nd gear and saved ourselves for Sevilla midweek.

Lukkaku did very well for us and deserved the motm.

Nice to see bailley back too.

Would have been good to see gomes or Hamilton get gametime, but they only played a u-23 game last night

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Good fa cup tie. We wern't at our best, but cruised through in 2nd gear and saved ourselves for Sevilla midweek.

Lukkaku did very well for us and deserved the motm.

Nice to see bailley back too.

Would have been good to see gomes or Hamilton get gametime, but they only played a u-23 game last night

This off side rule is bloody silly. What happened to the old "day light" law where a player is clearly off side? They are now saying that part of his kneecap is off side so he's off side even by a mm he's off side. Well that's good for the game isn't it? NOT!

This off side rule is bloody silly. What happened to the old "day light" law where a player is clearly off side? They are now saying that part of his kneecap is off side so he's off side even by a mm he's off side. Well that's good for the game isn't it? NOT!

So this is VAR in action? From what I've seen thus far, it will cause more arguments than it will solve. Given the ref today didn't ask for assistance, but had it forced on him by some bod in a control room somewhere, it appears to me that matchday officials are pretty much superfluous now. Also, it will be interesting to see if it is applied exactly the same for every game, or will it depend on which pedant is in the control room at the time, Afterall they're only human aren't they, and everyone sees things differently, don't they?

Of course we need some form of technology to get all decisions right, but I'm not sure VAR is the answer if that nonsense we saw today is an example! They need to clarify exactly what constitutes offside now, as someones kneecap being a micrometer further forward than the last defenders kneecap seems a fcuking ludicrous way to quantify it. I'd suggest that where the attacking players feet are planted is a more reasonable way of measuring offside? But even then, someone might rightly point out that not all players have the same size feet....So it's probably better to leave it to the match ref to decide if he wants the VAR assistance, not the other way around!

Last edited:
Use the VAR in the same way it's used in the rugby. Images put up on the big screens in the ground so that everyone can see what is happening.

The technology is there, but VAR has to be used as a tool by the referee, not the video ref interrupting the flow of the game.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally I think the only technology required is Hawkeye for goal line goals.

Rugby is spoilt, even clear tries 9/10 the ref doesn't or is afraid to make a decision, they always for for the video ref.
With regards to football the authorities couldn't even get their protocol right, "clear and obvious" yep a slice of kneecap is clearly offside, how did the linesman miss that?
ReF's and linesman have always made mistakes, isn't that part of the game? It's what we used to talk about down the pub or at work on a Monday morning, now the authorities want to take that away and sanitise the game beyond all recognition.
I'd rather a close decision go for me and against me than sit through this crap again!

Personally I think the only technology required is Hawkeye for goal line goals.

Rugby is spoilt, even clear tries 9/10 the ref doesn't or is afraid to make a decision, they always for for the video ref.
With regards to football the authorities couldn't even get their protocol right, "clear and obvious" yep a slice of kneecap is clearly offside, how did the linesman miss that?
ReF's and linesman have always made mistakes, isn't that part of the game? It's what we used to talk about down the pub or at work on a Monday morning, now the authorities want to take that away and sanitise the game beyond all recognition.
I'd rather a close decision go for me and against me than sit through this crap again!
Exactly the feeling of those I have spoken to who went to the Liverpool v West Brom game. The vast majority of the decisions went in our favour that night, but the time it took and those in the stands left utterly bewildered about what was going on wasn’t worth the hassle according to them.

Plus without an official timekeeper stopping the clock, you will never get all the time back that it has taken and the ball is out of play often enough over the course of 90 minutes as it is.

When you hear the words VAR and technology used in the same sentence, it suggests multi million pound advanced computer equipment designed to remove doubt from all decisions on the field, not some bloke just watching a TV screen 200 miles away, like you or me at home, ffs. So any decision is still reliant on the subjective view of a human, rather than the miracle of modern tech we've been promised. It also takes too long for that very reason..Emperors new clothes is all it is, until it is made fool proof then money shouldn't be wasted on it!