Manchester United FC

Utd are now losing interest in De Jong as he’s dragging his feet and not showing any wish of wanting to leave Barcelona for Utd.
Apparently Utd are now looking at Phillips from Leeds and Ward Prowse from Southampton. Those two will be an instant improvement on McFred.
Hopefully Utd will sell Pierra to Fulham, could do with a few more leaving.
Is this the same Kalvin Phillips from Leeds that City have already signed?

Is that now confirmed, Tyrell ?

I heard Utd are in discussions after Feyenoord agreed terms with some French club.
Hopefully you are correct.

According to the various reports I've read both clubs have agreed on the total fee, which is as i described earlier. Just have to agree personal terms with the lad, which shouldn't be a big problem given we we've been linked to him since the window opened, but then radio silence...

I'm genuinely not sure if we've changed our transfer MO, but as Goutman suggested he was very close to joining Lyon, and in fact I think a verbal agreement was in place between Feyenoord and Lyon as of yesterday.

So that would suggest that we waited until that figure was agreed between them (13m + 2m) before jumping back in with our bid of 15+2. Meaning we haven't been stiffed with the usual United tax, which is a definite improvement from the Woodward era in charge.

if you want to see why I'm so excited by this lad, have a watch of the recent Holland/Wales game. I watched it to get a closer look at De Jong, who was superb btw, but Malacia down the left really caught my eye and left me wondering why our previous interest had gone quiet? Outstanding young talent and exactly the type of player we should be targetting.

According to the various reports I've read both clubs have agreed on the total fee, which is as i described earlier. Just have to agree personal terms with the lad, which shouldn't be a big problem given we we've been linked to him since the window opened, but then radio silence...

I'm genuinely not sure if we've changed our transfer MO, but as Goutman suggested he was very close to joining Lyon, and in fact I think a verbal agreement was in place between Feyenoord and Lyon as of yesterday.

So that would suggest that we waited until that figure was agreed between them (13m + 2m) before jumping back in with our bid of 15+2. Meaning we haven't been stiffed with the usual United tax, which is a definite improvement from the Woodward era in charge.

if you want to see why I'm so excited by this lad, have a watch of the recent Holland/Wales game. I watched it to get a closer look at De Jong, who was superb btw, but Malacia down the left really caught my eye and left me wondering why our previous interest had gone quiet? Outstanding young talent and exactly the type of player we should be targetting.
Well as I said let’s hope you are right and Utd have him, I looked at a picture of the lad and he immediately reminded me of a young Paul Parker which isn‘t a bad thing.

Well as I said let’s hope you are right and Utd have him, I looked at a picture of the lad and he immediately reminded me of a young Paul Parker which isn‘t a bad thing.

I'm only reporting what I'm reading and what I know of the lad, but yeah be great signing to get over the line...Not sure he reminds me of Parker, definitely plays a lot like prime Evra though.

Well now Ronaldo wants out, we'll be surely looking for a striker.

Not really a surprising development given he is at the arse end of his career and realistically he knows he isn't part of ETHs long term plans. He also said he wants CL football and that's fine, but the simple truth is that despite his brilliance he is still under contract to us unless someone stumps up a reasonable fee. His main stumbling block to a transfer away is going to be finding a club willing to pay his huge wages in the current climate, unless he is prepared to take a big paycut?

So if he leaves and we get a reasonable fee, all's good, as we also free up his substantial wages to spend elsewhere. If he stays, we still have an effective striker for one more season...Both he and us knew what we were signing up to, so neither party can have any complaints either way.

Besides, Barca president Laporte's latest De Jong shenanigans are far more interesting and I dare say, entertaining. According to him, Barca do not have to sell De Jong, as they are now rich again having sold off 10-15% of their clubs TV rights earnings. Sounds like a great deal indeed, but their fans aren't stupid and know that selling the clubs future now doesn't even scratch the surface of their debt and that all he is doing is kicking the can down the road. He then goes on to declare that another club is interested in De Jongs services, and that may be true, he's a great player. But it comes across as the classic ploy to simply gildy us to divi up more money.

Given they need cash now, just to avoid any further sanctions and keep themselves above water. I can appreciate them desperately trying to maximise profits from a player we are interested in buying...I'm just not sure playing silly games over an already agreed fee is very sensible?

So as it stands now, I'm still fairly confident about this transfer happening as negotiations are still ongoing, but let's see what happens?

Now I’ve read this on more than a few sites and I think it’s kosher.

To be honest I won’t be sorry to see him go, we are trying to re build and a 37 year old all be it very fit isn’t the future so I think i5s best he does leave, it will also free up a big wage bill.
Talking of rebuilding have we signed anybody yet? That chap from Barcelona is making it plainly obvious he doesn’t want to come to Manchester so why bother pursuing it? I’m sure if he was open to the idea it would have been done and dusted by now especially as Barcelona want to sell and if they want to sell I have a question, is he that good? No let’s look elsewhere and quickly.

To be honest I won’t be sorry to see him go, we are trying to re build and a 37 year old all be it very fit isn’t the future so I think i5s best he does leave, it will also free up a big wage bill.
Talking of rebuilding have we signed anybody yet? That chap from Barcelona is making it plainly obvious he doesn’t want to come to Manchester so why bother pursuing it? I’m sure if he was open to the idea it would have been done and dusted by now especially as Barcelona want to sell and if they want to sell I have a question, is he that good? No let’s look elsewhere and quickly.
Barca don't want to sell as such, but aren't in a position to turn down many offers for certain players.

Barca don't want to sell as such, but aren't in a position to turn down many offers for certain players.
Looks like Murtogh and Fletcher are just as incompetent as Woodward, how many weeks wasted chasing this player who doesn’t want to leave? Looks like he‘ll rather take a pay cut to stay at Barcelona.
I see we might be in for another Ajax player, Anthony a winger/forward. Hmm how about a proper midfielder?

Rumour has it that De Jong wants to play alongside Salah in the CL. Can't imagine why. ;-)

Looks like Murtogh and Fletcher are just as incompetent as Woodward, how many weeks wasted chasing this player who doesn’t want to leave? Looks like he‘ll rather take a pay cut to stay at Barcelona.
I see we might be in for another Ajax player, Anthony a winger/forward. Hmm how about a proper midfielder?

Where have you read he is happy to take a pay cut to stay at Barca? No such thing has been said anywhere, other than in the Barca presidents head, who thinks it will encourage us to pay more than the already agreed fee. What he might be prepared to do is defer a proportion of his £350.000 pw wage for now? But the fact is that even if he is prepared to do that, nothing changes Barca's financial situation in the long term, which is why they are desperate to sell him now...they have no choice but to sell and he knows it.

Given this has dragged on, let's test their mettle and withdraw the offer and see If one of Laportes purported numerous clubs interested in signing him, is actually prepared to beat our total £80m offer for the player? If it does then we'll have to pay more, but if as i suspect, nothing happens, and we get the player for the agreed price, watch Laporte change his tune and try to lay the blame on De Jong for not really being loyal enough to take the imagined paycut...We'll see how this pans out, but this whole thing sounds more like a face saving exercise for Laporte, particularly aimed at the Barca socios, who will decide if he has any future as the club president?

Problem is we don't know how Laporta is going about deal. He has a history of being awkward for the sake of it, so it is possible they are doing what they can, but of Laporta wants to play silly buggers there's not much they can do about it.

I do agree that this does seem from the outside to be another sort of Fabregas situation in the making. If De Jong isn't 100% on board, I don't think we should keep pushing it.

If you want Martial and Rashford gone we'd need another winger.

Last edited:
Problem is we don't know how Laporte is going about deal. He has a history of being awkward for the sake of it, so it is possible they are doing what they can, but of Laporte wants to play silly buggers there's not much they can do about it.

I do agree that this does seem from the outside to be another sort of Fabregas situation in the making. If De Jong isn't 100% on board, I don't think we should keep pushing it.

If you want Martial and Rashford gone we'd need another winger.

This delay has nothing to do with De Jong not wanting to join United...

Laporta's actual De Jong quote clarifes what i said and highlights exactly how desperate they are to get him off their books " If he stays, he stays. If he leaves he leaves, but if he stays, he will have to take a big pay cut." Now that might make some sense if De Jong was prepared to:
a) take a pay cut?
b) defer his wages?
But that nelects to consider the fact that only last year all Barcas players deferred a big proportion of their wages to help the club stay afloat, except Messi, who demanded and got a pay rise, but once it became apparent they couldn't afford to pay him, he very quickly signed for PSG.

So, as it stands now, Barca still owe De Jong over €40m in back wages, so how likely does anyone here think De Jong is prepared to take another pay cut/deferrement from a club that is doing everything it can to avoid honouring his contract and moneys owed? Absolutely none I'd say! Plus, It's been suggested that it's this situation that is probably holding up his transfer to United, as he wants his money before jumping ship...and who can blame him?

After all, having seen that they've tried to do the exact same thing to Gerard Pique, he knows that if he doesn't try to enforce his contract now, he will struggle to see a penny once he leaves and any subsequent case could take years to go through the Spanish courts.

Last edited:
This delay has nothing to do with De Jong not wanting to join United...

Laporta's actual De Jong quote clarifes what i said and highlights exactly how desperate they are to get him off their books " If he stays, he stays. If he leaves he leaves, but if he stays, he will have to take a big pay cut." Now that might make some sense if De Jong was prepared to:
a) take a pay cut?
b) defer his wages?
But that nelects to consider the fact that only last year all Barcas players deferred a big proportion of their wages to help the club stay afloat, except Messi, who demanded and got a pay rise, but once it became apparent they couldn't afford to pay him, he very quickly signed for PSG.

So, as it stands now, Barca still owe De Jong over €40m in back wages, so how likely does anyone here think De Jong is prepared to take another pay cut/deferrement from a club that is doing everything it can to avoid honouring his contract and moneys owed? Absolutely none I'd say! Plus, It's been suggested that it's this situation that is probably holding up his transfer to United, as he wants his money before jumping ship...and who can blame him?

After all, having seen that they've tried to do the exact same thing to Gerard Pique, he knows that if he doesn't try to enforce his contract now, he will struggle to see a penny once he leaves and any subsequent case could take years to go through the Spanish courts.
Belague who is pretty well connected in spanish football has reported that he was wanting to stay at Barca as his first preference, with there being nothing solid that suggests that he's keen to join us.

Also seen it reported that Xavi isn't really that bothered about keeping him unlike players like Gavi.

Was stated by Messi himself in august 2021 that he offered to accept a 50% pay cut.

Belague who is pretty well connected in spanish football has reported that he was wanting to stay at Barca as his first preference, with there being nothing solid that suggests that he's keen to join us.

Also seen it reported that Xavi isn't really that bothered about keeping him unlike players like Gavi.

Was stated by Messi himself in august 2021 that he offered to accept a 50% pay cut.

Is that the same Balague, who spends most of his time spinning negative stories about Barca into positive headlines in the English press...so often does he do it, one might believe he is being paid to do so by Barca?!

I can almost guarantee that if De Jong stands his ground over his contract and owed monies, Ballbag will be doing his clubs bidding by trying to paint De Jong as a disloyal mercenary in both the English and Catalan media, for trying to do so, yet will ignore that Barca are totally mismanaged, reneging on contracts by pressure shaming players into either signing renewed lower paid contracts or being sold off to alleviate their costs altogether without their consent.

All this while openly declaring they are trying to instigate a salary cap, but are still planning on signing big time high earners like Lewandowski, Kounde etc?...De Jong gets back from his holiday in a couple of days, so things will be clarified one way or the other soon enough.

As to Messi, well he would claim that though, wouldn't he, despite evidence to the contrary and Barca claiming they tried everything to keep him, but couldn't come to an arrangement with Messi that suited both parties...I wonder, was Messi still crying about leaving his beloved Barca as a personal sacrifice to save them, when he made that claim? Definitely a case of eating your cake, and having it too, with that bloke...rather like his old corrupt club!

Is that the same Balague, who spends most of his time spinning negative stories about Barca into positive headlines in the English press...so often does he do it, one might believe he is being paid to do so by Barca?!

I can almost guarantee that if De Jong stands his ground over his contract and owed monies, Ballbag will be doing his clubs bidding by trying to paint De Jong as a disloyal mercenary in both the English and Catalan media, for trying to do so, yet will ignore that Barca are totally mismanaged, reneging on contracts by pressure shaming players into either signing renewed lower paid contracts or being sold off to alleviate their costs altogether without their consent.

All this while openly declaring they are trying to instigate a salary cap, but are still planning on signing big time high earners like Lewandowski, Kounde etc?...De Jong gets back from his holiday in a couple of days, so things will be clarified one way or the other soon enough.

As to Messi, well he would claim that though, wouldn't he, despite evidence to the contrary and Barca claiming they tried everything to keep him, but couldn't come to an arrangement with Messi that suited both parties...I wonder, was Messi still crying about leaving his beloved Barca as a personal sacrifice to save them, when he made that claim? Definitely a case of eating your cake, and having it too, with that bloke...rather like his old corrupt club!
Dunno, can only go off what I read at the time.

His treatment by Barca may well be or end up being quite shabby, however that doesn't automatically mean his first preference is to come to us and not play in the CL etc.

We just don't know so I can only draw my own conclusions on what I feel, what I think I can see happening and from reports. All at the moment suggest to me that even if we were to get him, it's not down to his desire to come to us. I could always be wrong and would be happy to be so.

He said it in the press conference to which you refer.

Latest Threads