Manchester United FC

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
We hear about how things are improving at Utd. yet I haven't heard a clear description of what has improved to date or what improvements are expected as the season progresses. This worries me as the reasoning given for not doing anything is on the strength of things getting better and/or challenging for trophies, yet we see none of this from one month to the next.

So can anyone here describe what Utd are doing better now compared to say this time last season? If there is nothing then the club needs to be honest about that. Just looking baffled and saying after every match "we need to learn", "we need to find our spark", "it's hard to say what is going wrong" and so on is alarming to hear, it just smacks of cluelessness, that cannot be the right kind of projection from a Utd. manager. Moyesie always seemed the same at post match conference, only with a hybrid hangdog come deer in headlights look about him than Oli's bright eyed demeanour, and that just made matters worse for him.

See this is the kind of thing I mean, 'He added: "Lately we have not been in great form, lost too many points and that is something we have to look at. We might have to change, do we need more legs in there? What do we need?' It just comes over as the ramblings of someone who is on the cusp on senility. I am starting to worry that if he nips down the shop for a pint of milk he won't be able to find his way home again.

Of course the best result is that Liverpool give you a 5-nil tupping and OGS stays.

Of course it’s all the kit man’s fault for forgetting to pack the

1634415692978.jpeg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
See this is the kind of thing I mean, 'He added: "Lately we have not been in great form, lost too many points and that is something we have to look at. We might have to change, do we need more legs in there? What do we need?' It just comes over as the ramblings of someone who is on the cusp on senility. I am starting to worry that if he nips down the shop for a pint of milk he won't be able to find his way to Carrington or Old Trafford again.

Well one can hope. I can’t even bring myself to listen to him speak.

Well one can hope. I can’t even bring myself to listen to him speak.

Well just imagine in your job, you are given a project and after failing to make progress on plan you are asked to explain it to senior management and consider how to get things on track.

'Lately I have not been in great form, missed too many milestones and that is something I have to look at. I might have to change, do I need more legs in there? What do I need?'

You'd be off the project there and then.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Well just imagine in your job, you are given a project and after failing to make progress on plan you are asked to explain it to senior management and consider how to get things on track.

'Lately I have not been in great form, missed too many milestones and that is something I have to look at. I might have to change, do I need more legs in there? What do I need?'

I know I honestly don’t know why the board are so slow in getting rid.
I’m watching the match now a full 90 minute replay. You should see Pogba and his new hair do, incredible, the sooner he goes the better.
Maguire didn’t look 100% with it and in my opinion was rushed back, De Gea and Maguire contrived to help Leicester score their first goal.
Sancho was supposed to be playing on the left bu honestly James had more about him than this lemon who drifted further into the middle with every passing minute until he was finally subbed which is any minute now as Rashford is about to come on.
Edited, Rashford has dyed his hair as well now, blondish on top with natural black trim round the base, the local barber must be making a fortune.

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Look at Pogba in this photo, he just knows the camera is on him, honestly he was very poor today forgot how many times he gave the ball away and yet Utd are, according to this link offering £400k a week.:pissedoff:

De Gea, man of the match. Says everything about the outfield team.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Same as with Mendy for Chelsea today, second half Brentford twatted Chelsea but couldn't score.
Where would Brentford be if they had Solskjaer as their manager?
Now this is a genuine question.

There are a few things to chew on in this situation report with the last line being a neat encapsulation of the state of affairs.

"These are testing times indeed for a Manchester United manager still without a trophy and with little indication he is transforming this expensive squad into title challengers". Or challenging for anything else for that matter.

Rather a nice description by Jonathan Wilson in the Guardian:

When things are going badly for his side, Solskjær has a habit of gazing plaintively from the edge of his technical area, like a Viking elder wondering if the longship fleet will ever return from across the unknowable sea.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
There are a few things to chew on in this situation report with the last line being a neat encapsulation of the state of affairs.

"These are testing times indeed for a Manchester United manager still without a trophy and with little indication he is transforming this expensive squad into title challengers". Or challenging for anything else for that matter.

And this is just one of the many comments from a punter.

Comparing his record to Klopp but not mentioning that he took over a far worse side and had a lot less money to spend.

He also immediately had the team playing to his philosophy, what exactly is Ole’s game plan again?

@Fiona_TG and myself may be a minority of two on this thread that want Solskjaer gone but on other sites I struggle to find one supporter who genuinely wants Solskjaer to stay.
Yesterday when Utd were out of possession it was indeed truly shambolic, the players played like a Sunday football team and Rashfords goal, well Wimbledon of old would indeed have been very proud of it although to be fair to Rashford he did bury it and took it well.

So who would you like take over?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Look at this video clip. It sums up why Solskjaer should go as he simply does not and can not address the fundamentals of the game when not in possession. Just look at the space Leicester we’re afforded, no shape to Utd and even if we got the best defensive midfielder in the world it would not make one bit of difference because the basic shape of the team just isn’t there. We need a manager who can manage and coach and we need him NOW!

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Brendan Rogers at Man U would be superb!
I’m not sure, he failed to get them into the CL when it looked easier to do so than not, also according to the Scouse contingent he is a bit one dimensional.
He is doing a decent job at Leicester and I would love to see them finish in the top four this season.

And this is just one of the many comments from a punter.

Comparing his record to Klopp but not mentioning that he took over a far worse side and had a lot less money to spend.

He also immediately had the team playing to his philosophy, what exactly is Ole’s game plan again?

@Fiona_TG and myself may be a minority of two on this thread that want Solskjaer gone but on other sites I struggle to find one supporter who genuinely wants Solskjaer to stay.
Yesterday when Utd were out of possession it was indeed truly shambolic, the players played like a Sunday football team and Rashfords goal, well Wimbledon of old would indeed have been very proud of it although to be fair to Rashford he did bury it and took it well.

So who would you like take over?

To be honest I want Oli to succeed but nothing I can see says he will, therefore from a purely objective perspective I think that change is needed. This is nothing personal and, like you I am sure, if he had come in and managed provide the tactics, nouse, strategy, lift, public presence and motivation that got the team playing and firing on all cylinders then we would absolutely want to keep him.

Trophies can be won or lost on the spin of a coin or moment of magic or madness so maybe we would have won things, maybe not (there is a lot of quality out there to best after all) but shambolic can not be excused, just give me something to be proud of, but there is nothing.

I think this is more than you and I, he is losing the fans, some are clear they do not now care that he provided a momentous goal in 99, these are the young fans who were not around then and to them it is the future that matters. Like I mentioned many posts ago, he should have left when they were shouting for more, what is his future now, hero to zero?

Latest Threads