Manchester United FC

@Gout Man have you come out from behind the couch yet. Could have been 4:0 based on the last 10 minutes. Four minutes of injury Fergie Time left, an equaliser and it goes straight to penalties :omg:

Revenge for Sunday indeed. No doubt we'll get them in the next round and this smart Alecness will come back to bite me in the arrse.. :wink: 8-O

Hesitancy and fannying about at the back again.

Fair play to the Hammers, defended well, but helped by the additional time we gave them. Still that couple of seconds too slow moving the ball.

DvdB did ok, but Mata's time is over. Too slight and too slow to play 10 - or anywhere else now.

Probably done yourself a favour there by not having to bother with this pointless competition.

We'll have to think of some other positives from failure as the season progresses, you can't apply that one to the remaining competitions.

The Europa conference league was meant to see smaller clubs enter Europe. That’s not happened. Consign the EFL to clubs that have not qualified that season for European competition. The winner qualifies for the following season‘s Europa conference league. It reduces games on already stretched clubs, removes the often situation of clubs putting out a second 11 and gives a greater incentive for winning it, thereby making it credible again.

Yea we got Preston North End.

Overnight stay not required...

ETA: Sorry wrong thread... ;-) :roll:

I'm sure some people in the media will try to make more of this than there is, but personally I'm not that arsed. As a competition it was obviously very low on our priorities, who's only possible benefit would have been to give some of the younger/fringe players a run out, as proved by Ole's team selection. Good luck to West Ham, they defended well and held out for the win, but I'll take the three points from Sunday.

The positives from tonights loss were VDB played well and gave us a glimpse of what he can do given the chance, and there's more in his game. An odd positive this, but Martial gave us confirmatory proof, if any were needed, that he is done as an attacking option for us. He has to be the most disinterested forward I've seen play for us in decades, and given he doesn't seem inclined to show any effort or workrate in other areas of his game, it seems pointless having him around the first team.

Screenshot_20210923-081001_WhatsApp.jpg

I'm sure some people in the media will try to make more of this than there is, but personally I'm not that arsed. As a competition it was obviously very low on our priorities, who's only possible benefit would have been to give some of the younger/fringe players a run out, as proved by Ole's team selection. Good luck to West Ham, they defended well and held out for the win, but I'll take the three points from Sunday.

The positives from tonights loss were VDB played well and gave us a glimpse of what he can do given the chance, and there's more in his game. An odd positive this, but Martial gave us confirmatory proof, if any were needed, that he is done as an attacking option for us. He has to be the most disinterested forward I've seen play for us in decades, and given he doesn't seem inclined to show any effort or workrate in other areas of his game, it seems pointless having him around the first team.

Maybe those who travelled and paid to go and watch might have had higher expectations. Were they let down I wonder?

Maybe those who travelled and paid to go and watch might have had higher expectations. Were they let down I wonder?
In this day and age, everyone fields a weakened team in this competition, and supporters know that. Their expectations when they bought the tickets would have been that they’d be seeing the youngsters/reserves, so no, not let down I don’t think.

Given that over the years we and other teams have consistantly put out weakened sides for the League Cup, the fans would know that it's unlikely a full first eleven would take to the field, so from that perspective at least, I'd say No they weren't let down at all.

Given that over the years we and other teams have consistantly put out weakened sides for the League Cup, the fans would know that it's unlikely a full first eleven would take to the field, so from that perspective at least, I'd say No they weren't let down at all.

I wonder what OGS said about the match and the competition in the program? Hopefully not how important it all was to him and the club.

I've not heard from any who went so don't know how they feel, maybe some are happy to accept paying for less than 100% effort and priorities are a fact of life of course. Either way let's hope it is not another bare cupboard at the end of the season.

From my perspective it is a competition too far, there is a more senior knock out competition and league effort for all clubs. I appreciate the League Cup (as it was) helped those further down with revenue etc. but to me as a competition it is rather underwhelming, and for sure, if there was one of the four trophies that you would put last on the list this is it. Better than nothing is about as much of a rating I can give it.

I appreciate the League Cup (as it was) helped those further down with revenue etc.

It provides peanuts.

The FA cup is a bit better and at least it has sufficient repute for the winners

Put‘s it into perspective as to why the ESL was so attractive.

It provides peanuts.

The FA cup is a bit better and at least it has sufficient repute for the winners

Put‘s it into perspective as to why the ESL was so attractive.

So even the winners prize money is barely enough to pay one of their top players a day's wage?

So even the winners prize money is barely enough to pay one of their top players a day's wage?

Add to that a congested fixture list and you can see why managers get annoyed at pointless games.

It’s easily fixed - If you qualify for Europe you don’t qualifying for the EFL. EFL winner qualifies for Europe. I can’t see who would be unhappy with that.

Add to that a congested fixture list and you can see why managers get annoyed at pointless games.
And it's not just giving young players their opportunities it's about not getting the top players injured for a Mickey mouse competition

Latest Threads