Manchester rejects conjestion charge

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by jagman, Dec 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thank chuff for that!

2. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I suspect they will be asked to vote again in a year or so

3. This isn't Ireland! :D

4. as in

"Keep voting , until we get it through?"

bunch of arrogant (un-)civil servants thought this joke up

much like FRES

5. Prize qoute at the end of page 2 of the article-

6. I bet they get it through, Cyclops Broone ai'nt going to miss out on a nice little earner

7. Oh good, hopefully that will kill the idea of nationally as well. I can remember watching something on the news about this yesterday and one of its proponents was saying something like that it would "free up X hundreds million for infrastructure projects and public transport" and I'm sitting there thinking no it wont free up extra cash you berk it'll merely squeeze it out of local motorists.

8. I expect they will hold another referendum in the future - like Ireland will do about the Lisbon treaty. Keep asking the question until you get the desired answer!

9. Quite right they simply wont bother with any of this 'voting' nonsense and push it through themselves without consultation. I mean, it's not like you can leave important decisions such as these to the public. What would happen if they voted for the wrong choice?

10. The truth of it is that traffic just isn't that bad in Manchester.
    Work frequently has me in Manchester from 5am to around 11.30am doing deliveries, its actually quicker for me to drive from North Manchester to Stockport through the city centre at 8am than it is to drive around the M60.
    Yes there is traffic but its not a disaster, perhaps improving the M6o would have a dramatic effect but thats not what the charge was for, it would only have increased traffic on the motorway.

11. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

You get Nu Labour running your country.

Anyway, congestion charges, I sh*t 'em. Chuffed it hasn't gone through - more chuffed to see how thoroughly demolished it was. It needed 7 majorities out of the 10 boroughs to pass, and failed to get a single one.

Perhaps if they bothered investing in public transport in the first place we wouldn't need this. It's blatantly a money-spinner, and the chances of anything more than 10% of the cash raised going back into the promised projects is slim at best. Someone on here mentioned the other day that out of £47Bn raised from road tax last year, only £7Bn was spent on roads. Where's the rest of it gone? We can get two carriers for £4Bn, so why can't we get some more buses for £40Bn?

12. Did anyone read the yes vote bribe too? They would only get the tram system if they voted yes, what does this say other than they are fishing for the taxpayers money yet again.

13. "Oh most Imperious Transport Minister Mong, the proles have disobeyed and rejected your most cunning plan to extract yet more taxes from them! Our plans are in tatters!"

"FOOL! I only let them think they had won a great local democratic victory only in order to distract attention from my grand masterplan! Bwahahahahaha!"

Commuters who drive to work 'face workplace parking levy'

"Local councils will be able to impose "workplace parking levies" on spaces provided by employers under new rules proposed by ministers. The fees could reach £350 a year.

Companies are likely to bear the brunt of the costs, but the Department for Transport has left open the possibility of drivers themselves being made legally liable for the charge.

The new charging rules sparked fresh accusations yesterday that Labour was trying to squeeze more money out of motorists. The plans are also strongly opposed by businesses who fear they will hit companies particularly hard during the economic downturn.

Ministers and local officials are looking for ways to reduce the number of people driving into city-centres, to curb both congestion and pollution. They believe the workplace parking levy scheme could achieve both aims."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/3709827/Commuters-who-drive-to-work-face-workplace-parking-levy.html

14. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

What.

The.

FUCK?!?!

I thought that was a wah until I saw the link!

Who the HELL are these cheeky little cunts to tell us what to charge on private property?!