Manchester burning,Army called in.

A huge fire on Saddleworth Moor, Manchester and surrounding area suffering smoke and ash. Now the Army has been asked to help, don't know what they are expected to do. Transporting equipment, manning pumps or beating it out with besems.
Is it time to call on aerial fire fighters. Boeing built a monster 747 water tanker, do we need something like this.

CFB

Have we the resources to cope with '76 style heatwave ?

Had lots of stuff up this way train tracks having issues, electrical cabling catching fire by the train tracks, road surfaces melting, lots of house fires

No wild fires yet, but it's a matter of time, the land is tinder dry

Can see this happening elsewhere soon

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
A huge fire on Saddleworth Moor, Manchester and surrounding area suffering smoke and ash. Now the Army has been asked to help, don't know what they are expected to do. Transporting equipment, manning pumps or beating it out with besems.
Is it time to call on aerial fire fighters. Boeing built a monster 747 water tanker, do we need something like this.

CFB
Their job is to shoot anyone who tries to stop Manchester from burning to the ground.

Manchester isn't burning.
I'm gutted.

Signed
S. Addleworthmoor

A massive fire in Manchester would possibly cause billions of pounds worth of improvements.

Any thing that reduces Manchester into the sum of its parts is alright with me. Having had to visit, and travel from city centre to media city, I arrived a bit early and decided to explore the city's pedestrianized area. A solid wall of dossers, junkies and beggars in every doorway & alley entrance, all with the obligatory mangy dog, hoards of pissed up chav types, dole dodgers, nutters shouting, at god knows what, and a general atmosphere of depression, with an undercurrent, that at any moment, without any warning, violence would erupt. Its a real eye opener. Then the tram to the venue...... Ridley scot I swear, based the dystopian landscape of "Blade runner" on the view I got from the tram. Having lived in the old east end of london, just post war, for 30 years, I have some knowledge of F***** up landscapes. The Fire, if it takes out Manchester, can only be a blessing.....Apart from the damage, nobody would notice the difference.

Last edited:
I'm all for victim closure but torching the entire moor to ensure the missing victims of Brady and Hindley get a suitable cremation seems a tad irresponsible. I guess Andy Burnhams name was a clue that he'd get up to this sort of malarky when he was elected mayor.

My granny was in the Fire Brigade in Manchester all through WW2. She was a cook and wore FB uniform. She used to staff the refreshments wagon taking tea to the lads during bombing raids etc on top of her canteen duties. She didn't like Germans very much.

My granny was in the Fire Brigade in Manchester all through WW2. She was a cook and wore FB uniform. She used to staff the refreshments wagon taking tea to the lads during bombing raids etc on top of her canteen duties. She didn't like Germans very much.

And my granny, worked in the rag trade, making uniforms for our lads, she didn't like the Germans very much, and your point is?

That's nice.

I'm all for victim closure but torching the entire moor to ensure the missing victims of Brady and Hindley get a suitable cremation seems a tad irresponsible. I guess Andy Burnhams name was a clue that he'd get up to this sort of malarky when he was elected mayor.
that horrible spme people need to address their sense of humour. I feel bad giving you a funny for that

How fcuking interesting

The John Lewis Partnership is going through some testing times at the moment. Their recovery strategy includes the closure of five of their Waitrose stores. Two of them are in Manchester.

That tells you just about everything you need to know about Manchester.