Management

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by carpetsfm7sr94champs, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Out of interest, really. What makes a good manager? (Within our Corps)

2. Hmmm

Id say knocking the lads of at 12 every day and Fridays off.

3. To a certain extent that reply sums up the point. The answer to your question carpets will be different depending on who you ask, and more to the point, where they sit in the food chain.

Good management can depend on alot of things. Firm but fair, knowledge of those they manage, correctly trained (and able to understand that training), all over their responsibilities, have the trust of those you manage, understand what their troops do for a living etc etc etc. The're all qualities of good management and are qualities that are taught and grow with time. Your question would have been more appropriately posed as "Who makes a good manager within our Corps". Whole different ball game that one.

4. 1. Don't ask your guys to do something you wouldn't do yourself.
    2. Know your troops and their future aspirations, get off your arse and actively help them towards them.
    3. Sweeping the garages five times in one day, does not constitute work. If you are not busy, organise something constructive, although in this day and age no one should be idle.
    4. Having the ability to shout at someone will not make you a good man manager. Knowing when to shout does.
    5. Most importantly - no one should be able to out drink the Tp Sgt. :wink:

5. you can be an authority figure and have respect going both ways... iv found that iv always worked harder for the teacher/cpl/sgt if that was the case.

6. I've found I always work better for my management when they go and do the same things as you do !

7. I think some people are mixing management with leadership?

8. Delegation, not necessarily knowing how to resolve an issue but knowing who to ask and how to ask them.

9. A manager, first and foremost needs to understand the core business and ethos of the organisation, regardless of what that organisation does. They also need to agree with that core ethos and be singing off the same songsheet or they shouldn't be managing (only existing). He or she needs to understand what main resources they have at their disposal and make best use of those resources. Our main resource is personnel, so cherish them. It's better to retain than to recruit.

Keep everyone busy with worthwhile, challenging tasks. Give them slack when they need it and they'll put in the extra work when required. Make hay while the sun shines! If you're a manager, give your subordinates real responsibility without micromanaging them. Allow them the chance to develop as managers in their own right and, importantly, allow them to learn from mistakes that we all make from time to time. That's where many managers fall down, as they're terrible at delegation and are scared of failure. I also prefer managers to be positive and enthusiastic and pass on some of that fire to their subordinates. You could argue about the leader versus manager concept though, however I'll skip that for now.

And then sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour!

10. The reason a lot of managers fail is they see delegation as a loss of control or power. A good manager will have no ego to stoke and pass on credit where it is due thus earning respect from those working with/for him and a willingness to help in the future.

Bloody hell PD you just got some new management phrase bog roll?

11. PD what you say is very good. Now, honestly, how many managers have you seen or worked with that are, as you describe? i.e. what is the reality?

12. No, SOinC was looking over my shoulder while I was typing. I thought I'd better type something interesting!

13. The ability to make decisions and stand by them. But also the ability to listen to what the troops require.
    Knowledge of the troops and a good working relationship that is approachable but is firm when required.
    The ability to support a shit decision from above and see it through even though he disagrees with the decision himself

Leads by example.
    Displays Corps Ethos.

14. Quick Google search defines

Leadership: The ability to lead, including inspiring others in a shared vision. Leaders have clear visions and they communicate these visions to their employees. They foster an environment within their companies that encourages risk taking, recognition and rewards, and empowerment allowing other leaders to emerge.

15. unfortunately none of this applies to my unit. working days are the "same siht different day". one of our so-called superiors took a bitch last week when us juniors were having a laugh amongst ourselves when we had finished our tasks he gave us. then they wonder why we have all put transfer requests in!!!