Management qualifications

Discussion in 'Officers' started by barbarasson, Jun 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Someone mentioned to me a while ago that there were management qualifications available basically on the back of having a commission. Does anyone know of any that are worth having, I am trying to boost the non-military aspects of my CV?

Thanks.

2. Don't know about piggy-back managerial qualifications though decades ago people would apply to the British Institute of Management for membership. Pay a professional to write your CV initially if you're uncertain how to convert miltary experience and qualifications into civilian speak, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Once out keep studying, the world is constantly changing.

3. City and Guilds Graduateship in Management. It's a qualification from a Professional Body rather than an academic one. Have a look on the City & Guilds site under Management Quals then under 'Forces Route' (or words similar). Save the evidence which you compile for that qual and use it towards an NVQ Level 5 (Mngt), then use your level 5 to get yourself Diploma in Administrative Management (possibly the Advanced Dip). With the C & G qual, pay the extra £30 and get yourself Membership of the C & G Association and with the Admin Mgmt Dip, you'll get Associate Membership of the Institute of Aministrative Mngt.

Need anymore, then PM me.

You can do all of this in a very short time and they will help bolster your practical experience in mngt on your CV. It's not an MBA, but if you want one of them, get your nose to the grind for a couple of years. Can you do an in service MBA?

4. I understood from the ROCC(V) roadshow many moons ago that one of the key aspects of ROCC (and to a lesser extent ROCC(V) ) was to make all of the trg undertaken by officers accredited to civilian institutes such as the Chartered institute of Management and the CIPD etc.

Basically, regular officers had very little extra work to do over and above the normal officer education stuff except they had to log what they did in the correct manner and then were eleigible for membership of the above.

TA Officers had a bit of work to do as there was little in the way of formal officer education after sandhurst. But if you wanted to you could do the extra stuff and get accredited.

I also was led to believe that at certain stages in the regular officer career path it was deemed you had done enough to qualify for MA and later MBA (I recall MBA was after Unit command and an SO1 staff job but I'm probably wrong)

Again this was open to TA officers but again difficult to do without a lot of extra work, although civilian job and experience could obviously be counted towards it so if you were in a mangement job in civvy world then you could probably do enough between civvy and military to qualify.

Anyone got better info than my sketchy memory and anyone know where all the rules atc are laid down preferably in the public domain rather than DII.

5. I recommend the Open University MBA if you want a quick (2 year min) qualification in order to leave immediately afterwards (no time bar). It´s hard work and can be pricey even after all your allowances have been used, but I think there are more allowances available since I did mine four years ago. Don´t be put off by the price - it will pay you back in spades very quickly in civvie street. When I did mine, they accepted the old JDSC and JOTES 2 promotion exams to exempt me from the first year, so I only had to do two years. I´ve interviewed tons of people for jobs since then, and an MBA or similar adds a lot of weight if they only have a military background. Remember, a job description or job advert is generally only a wish list by the employer - he will be lucky to get someone with all the ticks in the box. A management degree could be one of the vital ticks in the box - it was for my first job.

6. Thanks for the link. Very informative.

{my bold}

so is this the last information that was put out? does anyone know how I find out if the TA accreditation mirroring the regular system has been finalised and if so where could I get the information - I assume DIN?

I looked on the army website and found this...

I seem to recall that ROCC(V) was completed around 3 years ago but as far as I know there is still no infomation available about accreditation (the quoted web page was last reviewed 07 Feb 06)

And do I need to ask if TA personnel are still barred from learning credits?

7. I think the bad news is that most of these management accreditations or not that useful. The exception is an MBA. I have seen hundreds of recruitment requisitions and management job descriptions with qualifications required. An MBA is often listed as a requirement or viewed as a significant bonus, other certificates or instituste meberships are of little value (with the possible exception of a career in HR).

The good news is that some corporations and senior management have a good appreciation of the strengths an officer can bring to management. Typically the military gives considerably more responsibility at an early age than the private sector. They are often able to excel in dealing calmly with the trivia that civilian managers consider a crisis. My company is a very large corporation with a New York HQ. I am most familiar with the IT department where we have a number of people who where previously in the military of various countries. In the states we have a procurement manager who was a Colonel in the 101st. Our head of telecoms was in marine recon. We have an ex Brit para and and an ex Aussie infantry officer. There are others but these examples are just to indicate that people have been hired without technical skills related to the civilian management position. The company hopes these people will bring a "can do" approach to problem solving.

i would definitely advise an MBA. Herriot Watt offer a very flexible one. You can take as many units at a time as you can cope with and have I think up to 5 years to finish. This can work better than the fixed couple of year courses if you cannot be sure of committing regular solid chunks of time. Even if you do not complete before starting work in management it will pay off in the future. Some of the topics like Financial management will be areas you probably have little exposure to in the military but more important most surveys show that an MBA usually brings in a higher salary.

8. I think this is best placed here - the Chartered Management Institute offers fast-track membership to members of the Armed Forces:

Link