Man Skills

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by dhgrainger1, Aug 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in the process of re-sealing my shower unit, and knowing that I'm doing a good job on it, and that I'm not having to pay some other bloke extortionate rates to do it for me has cheered me up. What other man skills give you lot this kind of feeling?

Please note, banging your wife/girlfriend/family pet/ car exhuast, don't count.

2. tiling - did my moms bathroom - decorator quoted loads and couldnt do it for 3 weeks - i did it 1 day and did painting the following day

for weeks i bathed in the glory lol

3. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Knowing when car/electrical appliance/mobile phone network operator/computer salesmen, engineers and customer service are talking utter balls, talking to them in the "I know more than you, you scum" voice and saving yourself/missus/mother/mate's sister and absolute fortune in time and wasted effort, thus getting you in the good books.

4. Wood turning. I can make wooden bowls, candle sticks etc. People love them and keep saying "ooh do you take orders?"

Simple answer..No, I do it because I like it, not to pretty up someone elses home. (plus Mrs PMU claims all the output the second it leaves the shed....)

Floor tiling too, bathed in that glory for months after re-flooring the entire downstairs hall and kitchen at the last house.

5. Top Man Skilll - Spider Catching..... *shudder*...

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Where the hell do you get a ton of free timber? Last time I was down the salvage yard he was asking £3 a metre.

Dry stone walling. My efforts stop our garden sliding into the river. And every year when the vicar goes on holiday, our garden creeps a metre further into his woods.

7. You lacquered a garden fence?

Do you varnish the grass too?

8. Building cars like this.....very manly :)

Attached Files:

9. Totally re-wired and re-plumbed both my last two houses.That is very satisfying.

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Nice. What shade of pink is that?

11. I think it's "barbie pink, with a shade of orange and metal flake"

12. ...being taller than Mrs Rodney2q I can actually reach the top of the hedge with the hedge trimmer.

It is only a minor thing but it really does make me feel better when she asks me to sort out the hedge because she can't sort it.

Other man skills? Retiled the kitchen, fixed dodgy taps, re-sealed the bath, rewired the utility room.

...and cleaning my shotgun while Mrs Rodney2q looks on and smiles indulgently...

:D :D :D

Rodney2q

13. She normally asks me to sort out her bush ;)

14. Luckily, my dear old dad was a builder, so I picked up man skills galore from him when I used to help out. Just finished laying a rather fetching herringbone pattern patio and building some raised brick flower beds. Total cost: about £300 for the materials.

Funnily enough, the one thing I can't do is plumbing. Complete numpty at it.

15. Not just mowing the lawn. But understanding that a lawn without stripes is just grass, and that would never do. Ever.