Man kills another with sports eqpt

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4137234.stm
The BBC said:
Spectator killed in glider crash

A spectator has been killled at a gliding competition at Husbands Bosworth airfield in Leicestershire.

A plane collided with the man who was taken to hospital by air ambulance but pronounced dead on arrival at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham.

A 25-year-old man was arrested and questioned by officers following the accident on Tuesday afternoon but he has since been released.

A post mortem examination was due to be carried out on Wednesday.

Police have not yet formally identified the dead man.

The accident is being investigated by Leicestershire Police and the Air Accident Investigation Branch.

The victim had been watching the 4th FAI Junior World Gliding Championships.
Sad day for the spectator and his family.

Let's hope the government acts quickly and bans gliders.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Agreed, ban 'em now. I'm sure MPs are being called on their holiday mobiles for quotes as we speak. "How much longer must we continue to..........."

Weren't these dangerous things responsible for many deaths over 60 years ago, in such places as Crete, Arnhem, Pegasus Bridge, etc?

This appalling tragedy just goes to show how dangerous flying machines can be in private hands. Their use should be restricted to the RAF, but only when used to take Ministers on their freeloading holidays or other trips.

Just think, if gliders had been banned this poor man would have been alive today, probably just waiting to get his head kicked in by alcohol-fuelled thugs celebrating the government's introduction of 24-hour drinking.

I think before Ministers can consider a ban on Gliding, they must experience it for themselves, preferebly with the winch cable tied to their ankles.

PartTimePongo said:
I think before Ministers can consider a ban on Gliding, they must experience it for themselves, preferebly with the winch cable tied to their ankles.
PTP - you have just provided me with the most wonderful mental picture!!

In fact I can also apply it to some of the to$$ers that work around here.

Take up slack ........

I'm sorry, but apart from the RAF and maybe the Army, why would anyone need to use gliders.

They are deathtraps and should be banned.

Rudolph , which part of the picture most appeals? For me, it is the take up slack bit. Now you need a skilled hand on the winch , who can make that cable take-up last an age before tension is achieved. Oh blissful joy-joy image. Who can we stick on the end first? :D

Chocolate_Frog , I hope that was humour as opposed to a serious suggestion? 8O

Gliders were used as weapons of war - there is no reason for civilians to own them.

PartTimePongo said:
Rudolph , which part of the picture most appeals? For me, it is the take up slack bit. Now you need a skilled hand on the winch , who can make that cable take-up last an age before tension is achieved. Oh blissful joy-joy image. Who can we stick on the end first? :D
That split second after 'all out' as they accelerate from nought to god knows what and the realisation that adrenaline is brown and runny!!!!

The looks on faces would be just fantastic.

We need a ban on all Gliders, including Paper gliders.

SK

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

OldSnowy said:
Same as Bagpipes - ban 'em, and pronto.
Hmmm, a bit harsh there I think Snowy.

There is certainly cause to have bagpipes licensed to anyone over the age of 18 if accompanied by an adult and then only played out of ear range of the public.
We certainly don't want to start a nanny state now do we!

Henry_Tombs said:
There is certainly cause to have bagpipes licensed to anyone over the age of 18 if accompanied by an adult and then only played out of ear range of the public.
Only if you can prove they're for your own use. I still think that they should be concentrating on catching the suppliers.

He has a point you know

In the morning nautical twilight, nine Luftwaffe gliders silently descended upon the Belgian fortress of Fort Eben Emael. Within 20 minutes of landing, the 70 German glidermen rendered Belgium's most modern fortress, garrisoned by more than 800 soldiers, useless. The breach in Belgium's line of defense opened by these glidermen paved an open road for the German panzers to Blitzkrieg into the heart of Belgium
Mind you, they were Belgians.

PartTimePongo said:
He has a point you know

In the morning nautical twilight, nine Luftwaffe gliders silently descended upon the Belgian fortress of Fort Eben Emael. Within 20 minutes of landing, the 70 German glidermen rendered Belgium's most modern fortress, garrisoned by more than 800 soldiers, useless. The breach in Belgium's line of defense opened by these glidermen paved an open road for the German panzers to Blitzkrieg into the heart of Belgium
Mind you, they were Belgians.
I assume all their bagpipes were locked away in the armoury then?

Lolololololol Henry , a valiant attempt to link not one, but 2 wildly off topic threads :D

Hmmm....after much research I think we're forgetting one of the great evils of our time.....BREAD!

http://www.eskimo.com/~spban/bread.html

!!! BREAD IS DANGEROUS !!!
Research on bread indicates that:
1. More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.
2. Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
3. In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.
4. More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.
5. Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more bread than that in one month!
6. Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low incidence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, and osteoporosis.
7. Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.
8. Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.
9. Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.
10. Newborn babies can choke on bread.
11. Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.
12. Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.

In light of these frightening statistics, it has been proposed that the following bread restrictions be made:

1. No sale of bread to minors.
2. A nationwide "Just Say No To Toast" campaign, complete celebrity TV spots and bumper stickers.
3. A 300 percent federal tax on all bread to pay for all the societal ills we might associate with bread.
4. No animal or human images, nor any primary colors (which may appeal to children) may be used to promote bread usage.
5. The establishment of "Bread-free" zones around schools.
I think the evidence is fairly self-explanatory.