Man kills another with sports eqpt

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cutaway, Aug 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer
    Sad day for the spectator and his family.

Let's hope the government acts quickly and bans gliders.
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Agreed, ban 'em now. I'm sure MPs are being called on their holiday mobiles for quotes as we speak. "How much longer must we continue to..........."

Weren't these dangerous things responsible for many deaths over 60 years ago, in such places as Crete, Arnhem, Pegasus Bridge, etc?
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This appalling tragedy just goes to show how dangerous flying machines can be in private hands. Their use should be restricted to the RAF, but only when used to take Ministers on their freeloading holidays or other trips.

Just think, if gliders had been banned this poor man would have been alive today, probably just waiting to get his head kicked in by alcohol-fuelled thugs celebrating the government's introduction of 24-hour drinking.
  4. I think before Ministers can consider a ban on Gliding, they must experience it for themselves, preferebly with the winch cable tied to their ankles.
  5. PTP - you have just provided me with the most wonderful mental picture!!

In fact I can also apply it to some of the to$$ers that work around here.

Take up slack ........
  6. I'm sorry, but apart from the RAF and maybe the Army, why would anyone need to use gliders.

They are deathtraps and should be banned.
  7. Rudolph , which part of the picture most appeals? For me, it is the take up slack bit. Now you need a skilled hand on the winch , who can make that cable take-up last an age before tension is achieved. Oh blissful joy-joy image. Who can we stick on the end first? :D

Chocolate_Frog , I hope that was humour as opposed to a serious suggestion? 8O
  8. Gliders were used as weapons of war - there is no reason for civilians to own them.
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Same as Bagpipes - ban 'em, and pronto.
  10. That split second after 'all out' as they accelerate from nought to god knows what and the realisation that adrenaline is brown and runny!!!!

The looks on faces would be just fantastic.
  11. We need a ban on all Gliders, including Paper gliders.

13. Hmmm, a bit harsh there I think Snowy.

There is certainly cause to have bagpipes licensed to anyone over the age of 18 if accompanied by an adult and then only played out of ear range of the public.
    We certainly don't want to start a nanny state now do we!
  14. Only if you can prove they're for your own use. I still think that they should be concentrating on catching the suppliers.