Man gives kids 40 mm shell to play with; 2 killed, 5 hurt

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by armchair_jihad, Aug 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BAKERSFIELD, California (AP) -- A military shell given to a group of children by a neighbor exploded while they played with it, killing two children and injuring five others, police and witnesses said.

Police were investigating the cause of Tuesday's explosion, which damaged homes and forced neighbors to wrap bloodied and dazed children in blankets.

"As you can imagine, this was a traumatic experience for the kids and their parents," said Bakersfield Police Detective Greg Terry. "So it's going to take a while to sort things out,"

Andrew Etcheverry, 8, died at the scene, and Jeni Marie Klawitter, 7, died at the Kern Medical Center, the county coroner said.

The victims, the oldest 12 years old, suffered minor to moderate injuries. Police had initially reported that six children were injured but determined that a girl thought to be hurt was not at the scene when it exploded.

Frank Sendejo, who lives near the apartment complex where the explosion occurred, said Wednesday he had given a group of children a 40 mm shell. Police said they have talked with Sendejo.

Sendejo told The Bakersfield Californian that he thought the shell was spent and often used it as a "conversation piece." He said the firing pin and bottom shell casing had been removed, along with the gun powder inside.

"I thought it was harmless," he told the newspaper.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/30/shell.explosion.ap/index.html

2. Did they check for a FFE cert?

3. does anyone :? :? :? :?

4. going to sound a bit spotterish, but wouldn't that be an M203 round?

either way a knobhead for giving it to kids, shame he didn't manage to blow himself up with it with no other casualties

5. That was clever of him. 40mm is a pretty common calibre for grenade launchers, but yeah the M203 is 40mm.

Surprised he didn't give it to his missus to jam in her back door.

6. You know the story isn't going to be about someone who's the sharpest knife in the drawer when you see "Bakersfield, California" in the dateline of the report.

7. This is tragic and horrible, but I couldn't help but laugh when I went back through and read that.

edit: lol, crabtastic beat me to it

8. you think :? :twisted: :? :twisted: :? :twisted: :? :twisted:

9. fair one, dumb question!

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Well not necessarily UGL rds, there are other 40mm wpns out there.

Bofors for one makes a number of different 40mm L7 rds for their Bushmaster IV, including frag, airburst HE, bldg breching and multi tgt rds and an APFSDS which will whistle through more than 120mm of RHA.
    The rds weigh about 5lbs each and are about 20" long - only a UGL for Garth !