Man fired for being morbidly obese

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by udipur, Sep 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

2. He was really sacked for stealing pies.

3. Texas is a Hire at will state.

What this boils down to is, any employee can be terminated at any time, for any reason or non at all.
    However If he is found to have been terminated for the "wrong" reason, then he can attempt to sue the pooh out of his former employer.

However, if they have a mandated policy about weight, that constitutes part of the terms of his service as known to him. he will whistle Dixie before he gets a red cent.

4. I wouldn't say it's a disability since weight can be managed, whatever medical 'experts' say to the contrary. If his size prevented him from doing his job, i.e not being able to fit at his desk or as the article says, struggling to walk from the car park, then I don't think it's unfair to tell him to lose the weight or the job. We're not getting the employer's side of the argument and these money-grubbing lawyers are the worst of an already dishonest bunch, so we don't really know what happened.

5. No. Same as I don't class being a junkie or drunk as a disability. Being morbidly obese isn't just being too lazy to go for a jog or have a kickabout once a week, you have to actively eat shit food and make a point of doing sweet FA physically. He has chosen to live his life this way now he's suffering for it and I have zero sympathy for him the lazy weak willed pie muncher.

• Like Like x 1
  6. You shouldn't make fun of fat people. They've got enough on their plate.

• Like Like x 13
  7. Ooh, gosh, I don't know! *bats eyelashes* What does stacker say?

• Like Like x 1
  8. I thought stacker was still "assisting with enquiries".

9. Legally, yes, in the USA. ******* stupid idea to class obesity as a disability IMO.

10. Neither is junkie or drunk a medical condition, it's the symptom rather than disease

11. Whilst i have succumbed over the years to a little middle age spread, I try to keep my weight down through sensible eating and exercise - I have no sympathy for these lard buckets waddling around with their faces full of McDonalds (other brands of fast food are available*) and a diet coke, who complain that its not their fault - YES IT IS!!!

12. it depends on the circumstances that caused the obesity, for instance many people who become temporarily disabled, that have poor dietary intake can become permanantly disabled due to obesity.

even those that have a decent diet can still become obese, a lot of injured people are unable to get out and about in there normal fashion but they continue to consume the same ammount of food as they used ot this leads to them becoming obese quite quickly.

granted that managing to become so grossly overweight that you struggle to move is generally something that only manic depression will cause, will often lead to other problems (diabeties, body dismophic syndrom, skeletal problems) but there all disabling problems

so an obese person unlike a junky or an alchy who has to choose to start taking there drug of chioce then find it and continue to take it knowing full well there doing so far too often, an obese person has little or no recourse to stop, doent actually need ot overindulge inorder to become an elephant (yes a lot of hte super fatties do indeed eat enough to feed 20 people every day).

obesitiy is more a problem of readymeals, littel or no dietary understanding, failing to recognise that lower mobility should come wiht lower calorific intake, and generally being somewhat dense about food.

of itself obesity should not be a disability, but the factors concering how you get there should be considerd in asessing a person for disability.

junkies or alchies similarly shoulf not have there dependance considered as a disability but the factors if there are any of why should be considered, the simple fact is food is required to live and its all too easy to get

13. Not having the motivation / self discipline / personal pride to look after yourself speaks volumes for me - as a manager I expect certain standards from my people. If they can't be arsed in their personal lives I have suspicions that they also cannot be arsed in their professional ones.

• Like Like x 1
  14. **** me, if I can still run 5 mile 3 times a week with a knackered leg I am sure this fat **** could stop eating the pies long enough to do the same.

15. On the plus side, the gentleman in question is a perfect candidate for the National Guard or TA.