Man buns next?

Yep you’re quite right, Paddy was 2 I/C to Stirling and took over command of the SAS when Stirling was taken prisoner. Subsequent analysis has suggested that he was actually a psychopath, the enlisted men both loved and feared him.
And died in his car after it crashed because everybody was too scared to pull him out of it.

it's easy to have a full set without interrupting the face seal. I'm not familiar with what trumptons policies are.

If only someone would tell the real firefighters.

As a firefighter, candidates will be required to wear a facemask when wearing breathing apparatus and facial hair may impair the ability to secure the head harness of both the facemask and the helmet. To protect the firefighter, it is essential that the facemask forms a seal around the face so that the efficiency of the facemask seal and gas-tight fit is not compromised in any way.

Closely worn moustaches, maintained in a neat and tidy manner, are permitted provided they do not impact on the facemask seal and gas-tight fit.

However firefighters must keep most of their face free of hair or stubble because it affects the seal of their breathing apparatus. Breathing apparatus is not just there to supply oxygen, it’s there to keep out smoke because smoke from many fires is extremely toxic (many fire victims actually die from cyanide or other poisoning). We cannot allow anything that makes breathing apparatus less effective, so firefighters can only have a moustache or a small goatee beard that doesn’t interfere with the seal.

I have a beard for religious reasons. Will I have to shave it off to be a Firefighter?

Yes, this will be necessary. We totally respect your religious needs, but for health and safety reasons facial hair below the top lip cannot be allowed. As a Firefighter you will need to wear a face mask when you’re wearing breathing apparatus. Facial hair can stop the mask from forming a seal around the face, which could let dangerous airborne chemicals in.

Never mind all this nonsense about beards and man buns, when are they bringing in 'Casual Fridays'?
I asked on here before why soldiers wear uniforms in barracks, no one had a proper answer.

clanky

Old-Salt
modern BA sets feature pressurised masks to prevent smoke ingress, even if the visor is compromised. The reason you need a face seal is to prevent a loss of time on air for the operator. Perhaps the fire bobbies policy is something to do with the hazmat gear they wear?
Either way the RN has managed to operate various bits of CBRN and diving kit for decades with no drama, even for those with beards.

I can always spot one of THEIRS (any of the service flavours, reserve or regular) when he pops along to the range as they all seem to have voluminous facial hair.

"Why"? I once asked, "I thought you had to be clean shaven".

"We have to be ready to go on ops at 48hrs notice and we have to be able to fit in with the local population".

"Ah, so blond and ginger beards are common in the middle east"?

They grow them because they can find half of an excuse to get away with it and no real practical reason, some of them just look disgusting, like rodents or small birds are nesting in them.
Spot on in my experience.

As mentioned earlier that was around the time that the rule on compulsory mustaches was dropped.
Does anyone know if the Army managed to survive these outrageous changes?
I reckon so. They just cracked on with their day job of defeating the dastardly Hun!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

RigPig

War Hero
Just to be clear i never said it was a bad thing, its just that you can't have uniformity & individualisum/diversity runing together. The detrimental effect will be when you have 1 rule for 1 & 1 for another & people feel victimised. Example male soldier gets charged for a minor hair issue by his female NCO who has hair down to her waist ?
I think if Sgt Rapunzel has hair down to her waist and she is picking a Tom up for his hair she ought to look in a mirror first. Her hair should be above the collar length or tied up if longer. (Or was in my day).

Is it not an issue for the crabs if they allow beards or not? We’ve all seen the balls up the army can make when it comes to dress; shirt sleeves up or down, shirt tucked in or out. The Navy manage to have beards and keep them looking smart.

R.P

RigPig

War Hero
The Andrew couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery on land, probably because they have beards...and are born in Carlisle.
Ravers is up that way, doesn’t he just get his man to do the organisational stuff like that? You know, a subtle suggestion and next thing you know it’s all done, though in his pub, not a brewery.

RP

RigPig

War Hero
Where I work, in a team of 12 people, only 4 of us are clean shaven. Three of us are the older ones. All the people who are of the age to think about joining up have a beard, not just some tramp beard either, but properly trimmed and looked after. The RAF is only moving with the times.

RP

Where I work, in a team of 12 people, only 4 of us are clean shaven. Three of us are the older ones. All the people who are of the age to think about joining up have a beard, not just some tramp beard either, but properly trimmed and looked after. The RAF is only moving with the times.

RP
You mean they have finally caught up with the times.

Kefi

Swinger

RP

I find it hard to compare any link between civilian & military lifestyle, something that seems to creep in when debating such topics. The bottom line is a civvie gets to go home at the end of the working day & the military potentially not. The restrictions on hair length & beards was a way of maintaining a uniformed & disciplined force with the added bonus of keeping us clean & healthy in the field. All 3 services have their own situations to confront in their worst case scnarios. The RN are generaly onboard ship so live & fight from their home, the RAF similar situatation airfield/airbase.Its the field army who always take the brunt of difficulties when faced with war/conflicts & therefor need the old style discipline/hygiene constrighnts.

Latest Threads