Man buns next?

I can always spot one of THEIRS (any of the service flavours, reserve or regular) when he pops along to the range as they all seem to have voluminous facial hair.

"Why"? I once asked, "I thought you had to be clean shaven".

"We have to be ready to go on ops at 48hrs notice and we have to be able to fit in with the local population".

"Ah, so blond and ginger beards are common in the middle east"?

They grow them because they can find half of an excuse to get away with it and no real practical reason, some of them just look disgusting, like rodents or small birds are nesting in them.

I can always spot one of THEIRS (any of the service flavours, reserve or regular) when he pops along to the range as they all seem to have voluminous facial hair.

"Why"? I once asked, "I thought you had to be clean shaven".

"We have to be ready to go on ops at 48hrs notice and we have to be able to fit in with the local population".

"Ah, so blond and ginger beards are common in the middle east"?

They grow them because they can find half of an excuse to get away with it and no real practical reason, some of them just look disgusting, like rodents or small birds are nesting in them.
Surely that’s only one of the Squadrons on the ORM?

How about this report for a bit of top brass forward thinking ;) :rolleyes: they can't believe their luck to get the first female serving in the guards.

Didnt he do them proud

Is it pointless though, if the beard prevents a good seal when wearing a respirator/breathing apparatus/oxygen mask?
Then there will remain rules in place that state that facial hair must be removed in such circumstances I'd imagine. The RN has allowed beards for years haven't they?

Then there will remain rules in place that state that facial hair must be removed in such circumstances I'd imagine. The RN has allowed beards for years haven't they?
Spaz put up some regulation in the past about beards for religious reasons being "altered" if there was a danger of CBRN. Although no one seems to have informed those religious soldiers about it.
Almost as if the Army dont want to inform those soldiers incase they start complaining.

Last edited:

clanky

Old-Salt
The argument about face seals is spurious. I was a member of a firefighting team using BA for much of my time as a JR, and never had a problem with achieving a face seal, despite the face fungus. Don't forget that the masks on BAs are pressurised anyway. I was bearded when we deployed in 91 and a note on daily orders was sufficient to get everyone to shave off.

The argument about face seals is spurious. I was a member of a firefighting team using BA for much of my time as a JR, and never had a problem with achieving a face seal, despite the face fungus. Don't forget that the masks on BAs are pressurised anyway. I was bearded when we deployed in 91 and a note on daily orders was sufficient to get everyone to shave off.
The fire service seem to think it makes a difference.

In simple terms closing recruit offices manned by military personnel and handing it over to Capita has resulted in a massive fall in recruitment and these changes in standards. The MoD refuses to sack them and go back to the recruitment methods that worked.
Yep, get back to traditional methods, shilling in the pint, belaying pins or alternative to goal.

CFB

Take an Orange from the box.

clanky

Old-Salt
it does theres a chance of inward leak even with positive pressure thats why you should have your own fit tested face mask
That wouldn't work onboard. I'm aware that lots of industries use face fitted RPE. Afaik LFAB don't face fit their BA. Nor do they ban facial hair as long as the face seal area is kept clean.

That wouldn't work onboard. I'm aware that lots of industries use face fitted RPE. Afaik LFAB don't face fit their BA. Nor do they ban facial hair as long as the face seal area is kept clean.
They effectively ban beards then? A moustache or goatee is ok. Anything else isn't.

After D-Day a German sniper was asked how they always managed to shoot Officers and NCOs. "Easy, we shoot those with big moustaches."

In the GreatWar the alleged answer was, "We shoot those with thin legs. (jodhpurs)."
Which was why from about late 1915 officers rank insignia moved from the cuff to the shoulder, and in the latter part of 1916 they began to wear the same style of uniform as their troops when going 'over the top'.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I used to know two beards in the RAF police. Lovely girls both of them.
Always looked forward to the new intake for a quick rifle through their draws looking for exotic smells.
I think that is why they were kicked out.

Which was why from about late 1915 officers rank insignia moved from the cuff to the shoulder, and in the latter part of 1916 they began to wear the same style of uniform as their troops when going 'over the top'.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
As mentioned earlier that was around the time that the rule on compulsory mustaches was dropped.
Does anyone know if the Army managed to survive these outrageous changes?

One of those men is Capt paddy Mayne, he who on running out of ammo, and explosives, on a night raid in an enemy desert airfield, hundreds of miles behind the lines, in north Africa, climbed into the airplane, and ripped out the cockpit dashboard consul,, with his bare hands, He on another raid, casually walked into the enemy's off duty guards mess, and with a machine gun, Brassed up the sitting occupants. I somehow don't think that poodles, kittens and a interest in interior design, was at the top of his list for things to do.

Read" The phantom major" by Virginia Cowles. Published by Williams Collins & Co Ltd. No ISDN Number available.
Yep you’re quite right, Paddy was 2 I/C to Stirling and took over command of the SAS when Stirling was taken prisoner. Subsequent analysis has suggested that he was actually a psychopath, the enlisted men both loved and feared him.

Latest Threads