Malnutrition crisis in UK hospitals

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pentwyn, Feb 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am not too sure if this is the right forum to post this in

In my own experience having spent a couple of weeks in hospital , The food was disgusting .
    The food was cold ,Not prepared properly and no one cared , You had no choice of what food you liked as you had to have what they gave you as there was no menus ,
    Because i had a allegie to certain food etc , I refused to eat it then i was made to feel it was my fault because i made such a fuss about not eating the food
  2. Dead link, please re-post a live link.
  3. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Not a new problem. Been around for many years, part of the problem being that nutrition was often seen as merely getting enough calories into a patient combined with their ability to eat.
  4. What a lot of people fail to understand with some conditions the body can not absorb Nutrients
    so people are not getting the right nutrition , The hospital take note of these problems when you go for your pre admission but when you are on the ward no one takes notice
  5. The quality of food in NHS hospitals has been a discussion point for many decades. Different hospitals have different standards of food. Some have had many complaints in the past and have now put more energy into providing quality healthy grub for the patients. (Take the William Harvey in Ashford Kent for example.) The problem lies with a money problem as it always does. The catering service is given a small budget to provide food for all the patients within the hospital. They have to cook large quantities of food for minimum cost. For some reason people believe the food supplied in a hospital should be healthy. (Of course the food supplied in schools is different?)

In an ideal world the food supplied in a hospital will be filling, well balanced and will cater for everyone's dietry requirements be it for health or religous reasons. Unfortunately this would cost the NHS a considerable amount of money which could be used in other areas of healthcare. There's always a trade-off in every budget situation. 'Buy in that good french chef : Buy that new cat scan machine' The only way this nutrition problem is going to be fixed is if the goverment pour more money into the NHS specifically for feeding costs. This will have knock-on effects on budgets of other areas such as education, the mod, etc, unless they raise taxes.

As the population swells ever larger the demand on hospitals increases. This will put a further strain on the already underfunded NHS causing them to make cutbacks. This has been going on for years (probably since the NHS was formed) and isn't going to change anytime soon. It is not a crisis as the press seem to label it. It is however a problem that needs attention.