Mallory , Irving and the Conquest of Everest BBC2 17 Aug 2011

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Border_Reiver, Aug 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is the forum I thought would best match .... for those interested in watching a tale of courage , grit and determination in an age when we produced mountaineers who went out to conquer Everest kitted out with hobnail boots , tweed jackets and a pipe ( complete with an ounce of rough shag tobacco ) BBC2 tonight are broadcasting " The Wildest Dream ... Conquest of Everest " at 21.00 to 22.30 . The programme will make use of original photographs , film footage and some re-encatments .

2. Set my Sky+ for this....been wanting to see it for a while. Leo Holding and Conrad Anker star in it. I'd like to believe that Mallory made it but we'll never know unless his camera is found.

3. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Just for the arcane nature of it and because I read of it recently in Robert Graves' 'Goodbye to all that' - worth a read. Apparently Mallory dropped his pipe somewhere on Snowdon (I think). He had to do a remarkable climb of near impossible difficulty to get it back and he's the only one who's completed it. The climb is officially named 'Mallory's Pipe'. I shall now bore off.

ROSTRON'S RAMBLINGS: MALLORY'S PIPE

4. I have read a few books about these two guys and they were of a different time and breed ... in some ways I hope the mystery will still persist .

5. I saw it a while back, it was a good show, has a good balance of historical information and drama from Leo and Conrad during their build up and their time at everest. The photo Mallory was carrying wasnt found on his body so they assume they left it at the summit. I dont think the mystery of whether he summited or not will ever be solved. Such a shame. He deserved the kudos of being the first. Very interesting story. Enjoy.

6. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

There was a great documentary on the ethics of climbing and the risks taken on Everest particularly. "Dying for Everest" is a fascinating watch - Sir Edmund Hilary didn't hold back and the issue is very well explored by those involved in one of the more notorious incidents.

7. Looking at the photos and video of Mallory's body, its hard to comprehend how he and Irvine achieved such an altitude (whether they summit'ed or not) wearing little more than a vest, shirt hairy, thin woolly pullover and a cotton smock....

8. It may be on BBC HD on sky!!

9. It is on in HD on the BBC!!

10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the clothing was high tech and well thought out, other then the weight the principles are the same and the old stuff is better wearing.

brian blessed did a good effort in the same gear for a doco a few years back, altitude, age and fitness did for him.

11. Hello each, The website for the Chocolate Fish (New Zealand clothing) company contains the full spec details of the tests carried out by Uin of Leeds on modern reproductions of Mallory's clothing and the results prove that it was far better kit than anything on offer today even the boots! All natuaral fibres and materials.

12. Showing here tonight, Oz, on the ABC. Definately will be watching, anything to go by from the trailers. Program details:

Mount Everest - twenty-nine thousand feet - the highest point on Earth - captivating and deadly.

In the 1920s to conquer Mount Everest was the greatest challenge remaining in a golden age of adventure. Everest was the edge of heaven, where many believed no human could survive.

George Mallory dreamed of being the first man to climb Everest but on June 8th 1924, dressed in gabardine and hobnailed boots, he and his fellow climber Sandy Irvine, were last seen eight hundred feet below the summit.

Seventy-five years after Mallory and Irvine vanished, mountaineer Conrad Anker, took part in an expedition looking for their bodies high on Everest.

The Wildest Dream: Conquest Of Everest is a stunning feature documentary retracing Mallory's final attempt to reach the summit of Mount Everest in 1924 and become the first person to conquer the world's highest peak.

Told through the poignant and evocative letters between Mallory and his beloved wife Ruth, the film combines previously unseen archive photos, specially restored film footage and dramatisation, with the present-day story of Anker's expedition.

Narrated by Liam Neeson, The Wildest Dream is a story of love, obsession and breathtaking adventure.

**NOTE**: A compelling behind-the-scenes companion program - Everest: Shooting The Impossible, documenting the perils involved in shooting a film in one of the most inhospitable environments on Earth.

13. The programme went a long way to convincing me that Mallory did indeed make the summit.

14. Knowledge had certainly been gained from the failed earlier expeditions and long leather waistcoats designed to keep out the wind , which were a failure , were replaced by gabardine smocks . George Finch , on the 1922 expedition , was far ahead of the game and had designed a quilted jacket made from balloon material filled with goose down . Much greater care was taken with footwear which did result in boots with less metal in their construction to minimise heat loss . For the 1924 expedition each man was given £50 to buy their clothing based around a gabardine outer layer .
    Greater attention was also being paid to the quality of the food which eventually included …. Tinned sausages , hams , spaghetti, herrings , sardines, quail in foie gras as well as claret and champagne … I suppose another early upmarket version of Compo .
    I too have now watched the programme with the benefit of a slight knowledge of the expedition and I was impressed with the sensitivity and format of the production .

The mystery persists .