Male QA mess kit

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Runner, Aug 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just bought a mess kit. What sort of shirt is worn with a male QA mess kit?

2. firstly runner, congratulations on your promotion.

secondly - as you are aware, the high collared bib means that you really do not need to wear a shirt, however, should you ever be allowed to go 'jackets off,' you'll look a proper knob in just your bib and no sleaves.

personally, i wear a collarless long sleeve shirt, cufflinked wrists so at least it looks like i'm wearing a shirt underneath. collarless as well so as not to poke out of the top of the bib :wink:

3. Thanks for that. Sounds just the job. By the way I got the kit from Goodalls tailors in Leeds. £719 including George boots. You just fill in all the measurements on a form from their website www.messkitonline.co.uk and an order form with credit card details and hey presto! Six weeks later it turns up by courier. Brilliant. Fits well too.

4. Did the tailor put the velcro strip in the arse region for you :wink:

5. mine cost £510 with patent leather george boots :wink:

6. don't know about the arrse - need it for the neck to loosen off as the night goes on - that bloody bib

7. £320 via Tailor near the Curry house on RAF Akrotiri, with shirt sleeves attached to under jacket.

All for sale at the moment, if anyone wants to make an offer.

Sits back waits for incoming, ........ broad shoulders,......... I can take it.

8. elasticated waistband would be of more use! 8O

agree about the strangulation device goosey.

Cavalry pants? are the QAs a 'mounted' Regiment? :roll:

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

What kind of Mess allows that?

10. I suspect that a sizable proportion of our corps is 'mounted' fairly regularly.

How do you sit down in the bloody thing?! Its not the arse that's the problem but them damn straps under the boots... Undo them I suppose. I was trying it on and the only way I could sit down was with legs straight out - and that's with the braces slackened off...

Am I alone in thinking that it looks like the sort of thing 'Buttons' would wear in a provincial pantomime? I'll slot the first person who askes me to carry his bags...

11. Never had to ask a QA to carry my bag for me

12. I did say 'should you ever be allowed,' and it also depends on the presiding member. The last mess I was in the PM's were relaxed guys - both RAMC. I doubt whether my current PM would be though - Para Regt

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Thank God for small mercies.

14. Loosen the straps under the boots and don't brace the trousers too tightly - then you can sit and actually eat. The collar is slightly less restrictive than a stiffnek collar which makes turning your neck to talk to your neighbours at dinner a little awkward. Patent leather boots? Eurgh! Get some ordinary ones and bull them up - looks much better. Always wear a collarless shirt.

15. You have Lt Col Grubber Von Arni to thank.
    He designed it in the early 90s.
    I dont think he had to wear it though-in op granby he couldnt get combats to fit,and wore a jump/boilersuit that was dubbed the Gruber Growbag.