Male QA mess kit

#1
I've just bought a mess kit. What sort of shirt is worn with a male QA mess kit?
 
#2
firstly runner, congratulations on your promotion.

secondly - as you are aware, the high collared bib means that you really do not need to wear a shirt, however, should you ever be allowed to go 'jackets off,' you'll look a proper knob in just your bib and no sleaves.

personally, i wear a collarless long sleeve shirt, cufflinked wrists so at least it looks like i'm wearing a shirt underneath. collarless as well so as not to poke out of the top of the bib :wink:
 
#3
Thanks for that. Sounds just the job. By the way I got the kit from Goodalls tailors in Leeds. £719 including George boots. You just fill in all the measurements on a form from their website www.messkitonline.co.uk and an order form with credit card details and hey presto! Six weeks later it turns up by courier. Brilliant. Fits well too.
 
#5
Runner said:
Thanks for that. Sounds just the job. By the way I got the kit from Goodalls tailors in Leeds. £719 including George boots. You just fill in all the measurements on a form from their website www.messkitonline.co.uk and an order form with credit card details and hey presto! Six weeks later it turns up by courier. Brilliant. Fits well too.
mine cost £510 with patent leather george boots :wink:
 
#6
dui-lai said:
Did the tailor put the velcro strip in the arse region for you :wink:
don't know about the arrse - need it for the neck to loosen off as the night goes on - that bloody bib
 
#7
£320 via Tailor near the Curry house on RAF Akrotiri, with shirt sleeves attached to under jacket.

All for sale at the moment, if anyone wants to make an offer.

Sits back waits for incoming, ........ broad shoulders,......... I can take it.
 
#8
dui-lai said:
Did the tailor put the velcro strip in the arse region for you :wink:
elasticated waistband would be of more use! 8O

agree about the strangulation device goosey.

Cavalry pants? are the QAs a 'mounted' Regiment? :roll:
 

Ventress

LE
Moderator
#9
gooseman said:
secondly - as you are aware, the high collared bib means that you really do not need to wear a shirt, however, should you ever be allowed to go 'jackets off,' you'll look a proper knob in just your bib and no sleaves.
What kind of Mess allows that?
 
#10
I suspect that a sizable proportion of our corps is 'mounted' fairly regularly.

How do you sit down in the bloody thing?! Its not the arse that's the problem but them damn straps under the boots... Undo them I suppose. I was trying it on and the only way I could sit down was with legs straight out - and that's with the braces slackened off...

Am I alone in thinking that it looks like the sort of thing 'Buttons' would wear in a provincial pantomime? I'll slot the first person who askes me to carry his bags...
 
#11
Runner said:
I suspect that a sizable proportion of our corps is 'mounted' fairly regularly.

How do you sit down in the bloody thing?! Its not the arse that's the problem but them damn straps under the boots... Undo them I suppose. I was trying it on and the only way I could sit down was with legs straight out - and that's with the braces slackened off...

Am I alone in thinking that it looks like the sort of thing 'Buttons' would wear in a provincial pantomime? I'll slot the first person who askes me to carry his bags...


Never had to ask a QA to carry my bag for me
 
#12
Ventress said:
gooseman said:
secondly - as you are aware, the high collared bib means that you really do not need to wear a shirt, however, should you ever be allowed to go 'jackets off,' you'll look a proper knob in just your bib and no sleaves.
What kind of Mess allows that?
I did say 'should you ever be allowed,' and it also depends on the presiding member. The last mess I was in the PM's were relaxed guys - both RAMC. I doubt whether my current PM would be though - Para Regt
 
#14
Loosen the straps under the boots and don't brace the trousers too tightly - then you can sit and actually eat. The collar is slightly less restrictive than a stiffnek collar which makes turning your neck to talk to your neighbours at dinner a little awkward. Patent leather boots? Eurgh! Get some ordinary ones and bull them up - looks much better. Always wear a collarless shirt.
 
#15
You have Lt Col Grubber Von Arni to thank.
He designed it in the early 90s.
I dont think he had to wear it though-in op granby he couldnt get combats to fit,and wore a jump/boilersuit that was dubbed the Gruber Growbag.
 
#16
Just ordered collerless dress shirt from Goodall's - £19.50 + £3 pp.

I agree on the George boots. I'll just bull up the normal ones.
 
#17
Runner said:
I agree on the George boots. I'll just bull up the normal ones.
So do I about the george boots, but i was young and nieve, and they saw me coming. wish i'd have got normal ones and then bulled them up. my patent leather ones squeek and creek like fook, can here me a mile off :roll:
 
#18
While we are on the subject of mess dress and SD - potential offrs, if you buy your kit from Golding's, don't let him talk you into purchasing the full set including welly boots, patent george boots or SD shirts, you get issued these when you start EOC. He does get the pattern right though, unlike some of the other tailors.
 

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top