Malayan Emergency book recommendations.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Paul_T, Nov 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could someone recommend me a good book covering the Malay Emergency?

Thanks in advance.

2. On reading your post I checked some internet sites to see if I could find a copy of 'War of the Running Dogs' advertised, but no luck. I think it was published in the 1950's. I read it during the 1960's. An excellent, readable book on the subject, but long out of print. Sorry, I cannot remember the name of the author.
    Worth trying to track down a copy.

3. I tried again and found it right away. It is still available. Author: Noel Barber.
    Publisher: Bantam Books.
    Type on the internet ISBN 0553265792 and you will go straight to it.
    I recommend it.

4. The Door Marked Malaya by Rupert Hart-Davies may be worth a shot, as well as The Long, Long War by R.L. Clutterbuck.

They're both probably out of print so I'd try www.abebooks.co.uk

5. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

6. Thanks guys.

7. I read a book a few years ago called "Jungle Beat" about a malay police jungle platoon commander in the emergency, also "Death stalks in the Dark" the history of malay police SF, both a good choice

Trotsky

8. Jungle Beat is by Roy Follows. Roy kindly allowed me to use some of his wonderful jungle photographs for our Malayan Emergency PSYOP article. (They can be seen here: http://www.psywar.org/malaya.php )

9. 'Hunting terrorists in the jungle'. jolly good read.

10. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Theres a new book out called Loyal to the end by a national serviceman not sure of the authors name but it's available in Borders book shop

11. Ditto - it's an excellent read - picked up a paperback copy from eBay relatively cheaply.

Another good one to consider is "Jungle Green" by Arthur Campbell. The book is fiction, but based upon the author's own experiences as a company commmander with the Suffolk Regt during the Emergency. The copy I have was published in 1953 so it was certainly topical at the time.

Linked into this, has anyone has come across anything that refers to the role of the Loyals Regt during the Emergency? Edited to add - next time I'll read the previous post - thx brettarider - just checked out the net on the book you refer to & found the following:

http://www.kirkhamgrammar.co.uk/kgsnews/index.cfm?ccs=126&cs=2096

Another book for the Xmas shopping list :D

lancslad