Malaya & Vietnam

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by blonde_guy, Dec 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I will shortly be writing an essay on "Counter-Insurgency in the 20th Century; A comparison between Malaya and Vietnam" or a title to that effect...

can anyone recommend any good books on these two conflicts that focus on the counter-insurgency aspects of the conflicts?

Thanks,

blonde_guy

2. John A Nagl - Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsrugency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam (Chicago Press) might be a useful starting point.

3. thanks Archimedes, your help is appreciated.

I've already done a bit of research into the topic, but was wondering before I have to spend money on books, what ones are worth getting!

4. Have you read it ? I'm thinking of buying it.

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

The French Foreign Legion by Douglas Boyd has a chapter or two on what the French failed to learn in French Indo-China, including Dien Bien Phu.

May be worth a look.

6. VB - I've - what's the phrase? - 'dipped into it' and it looks to be worthwhile; it was useful background for the COIN stage of ICSC(L) .

7. Try ....
    The Jungle Beat: Fighting Terrorists in Malaya by Roy Follows - a real good read.
    The War of the Running Dogs: Malaya 1948-1960 by Noel Barber
    Confrontation, the War with Indonesia 1962-1966 by Nick Van Der Bijl
    Malayian Emergency by Robert Jackson
    and the ultimate cheat ...
    Unconventional Conflicts in a New Security Era: Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam by Sam Sarkesian

8. If you can dig deep into a library try Defeating Communist Insurgency: Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam by Sir Robert Thompson

9. You might also like to try: Psychological Warfare of the Malayan Emergency 1948-1960. Herbert A.Friedman (2006),and anything alluding to Field Marshal Sir Gerald Templer, KG, GCB, GCMG, KBE.

Templer's tactics against the communists were held up as a model for counter-insurgency operations.

10. Not books but a couple of websites you might look at:

This one has some pretty good resources on it which cover your proposed subject pretty well.

smallwarsjournal.com/

This will give you a good overview on Malaya and also some good perspectives from the jungle bashers point of view.

www.britains-smallwars.com/

This site has got some academic stuff about Vietnam and Malaya on it

http://usacac.army.mil/CAC/csi/RandP/CSIpubs.asp#_Leavenworth_Papers

Finally this link should serve you pretty well

http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/contentdm/home.htm

Hope this helps and saves you spunking cash on books.

11. Have you come across H. John Poole in your research? He's a retired US Marine who has written a great deal about current insurgency/counter-insurgency tactics in the Middle East; but I'm sure he references past wars, as well - Vietnam...in 'Another Bridge to Cross'.

Anyway, here - from the Hitchhiker's Guide - includes a bibliography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._John_Poole

He seems very well respected - and even if he doesn't have exactly what you want, it might be worthwhile to trawl through his sources/bibliography at the back of his book.

12. A fantastic read is ''the Jungle is neutral'' by F. Spencer Chapman, DSO.

13. Well it is obviously going to be a well researched book - tips from a load of arrsers.

14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

CREEEEEAK........" it LIVES! Come Igor, more power! "
    " Yeth, Marthter!"

[​IMG]

I imagine that the dissertation is long-buried. But having searched on 'Malaya' this thread seemed quite apposite. Saw this, thought of y'all:

PsyWar during the Malayan Emergency | University of Cambridge

Sound link HERE