Malaya & Vietnam

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by blonde_guy, Dec 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I will shortly be writing an essay on "Counter-Insurgency in the 20th Century; A comparison between Malaya and Vietnam" or a title to that effect...

can anyone recommend any good books on these two conflicts that focus on the counter-insurgency aspects of the conflicts?

2. John A Nagl - Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsrugency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam (Chicago Press) might be a useful starting point.
  3. thanks Archimedes, your help is appreciated.

I've already done a bit of research into the topic, but was wondering before I have to spend money on books, what ones are worth getting!
  4. Have you read it ? I'm thinking of buying it.
  5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

The French Foreign Legion by Douglas Boyd has a chapter or two on what the French failed to learn in French Indo-China, including Dien Bien Phu.

May be worth a look.
  6. VB - I've - what's the phrase? - 'dipped into it' and it looks to be worthwhile; it was useful background for the COIN stage of ICSC(L) .
  7. Try ....
    The Jungle Beat: Fighting Terrorists in Malaya by Roy Follows - a real good read.
    The War of the Running Dogs: Malaya 1948-1960 by Noel Barber
    Confrontation, the War with Indonesia 1962-1966 by Nick Van Der Bijl
    Malayian Emergency by Robert Jackson
    and the ultimate cheat ...
    Unconventional Conflicts in a New Security Era: Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam by Sam Sarkesian
  8. If you can dig deep into a library try Defeating Communist Insurgency: Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam by Sir Robert Thompson
  9. You might also like to try: Psychological Warfare of the Malayan Emergency 1948-1960. Herbert A.Friedman (2006),and anything alluding to Field Marshal Sir Gerald Templer, KG, GCB, GCMG, KBE.

Templer's tactics against the communists were held up as a model for counter-insurgency operations.
  10. Not books but a couple of websites you might look at:

This one has some pretty good resources on it which cover your proposed subject pretty well.

This will give you a good overview on Malaya and also some good perspectives from the jungle bashers point of view.

This site has got some academic stuff about Vietnam and Malaya on it

Finally this link should serve you pretty well

Hope this helps and saves you spunking cash on books.
  11. Have you come across H. John Poole in your research? He's a retired US Marine who has written a great deal about current insurgency/counter-insurgency tactics in the Middle East; but I'm sure he references past wars, as well - 'Another Bridge to Cross'.

Anyway, here - from the Hitchhiker's Guide - includes a bibliography:

He seems very well respected - and even if he doesn't have exactly what you want, it might be worthwhile to trawl through his sources/bibliography at the back of his book.
  12. A fantastic read is ''the Jungle is neutral'' by F. Spencer Chapman, DSO.
  13. Well it is obviously going to be a well researched book - tips from a load of arrsers.
  14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

CREEEEEAK........" it LIVES! Come Igor, more power! "
    " Yeth, Marthter!"

I imagine that the dissertation is long-buried. But having searched on 'Malaya' this thread seemed quite apposite. Saw this, thought of y'all:

PsyWar during the Malayan Emergency | University of Cambridge

Sound link HERE